Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    GREAT STUFF!!!

Amazing post, very clear and precise
    Shouldn't they be able to release an update that doesn't require us to do this @.@;
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ruffrydasean View Post
    Shouldn't they be able to release an update that doesn't require us to do this @.@;
    Agreed
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Palm Pre (x2 referb)
    Twitter
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ruffrydasean View Post
    I'm not sure what the difference is, but my Pre does this already. I took a picture of my girlfriend with my Pre, opened the picture in the Photos app, selected "Assign to Contact," picked her contact, pinched and zoomed and moved until it was cropped in the displayed square the way I wanted, and it looks great!

I'm sure you can do this with any picture on your Pre, whether you took the picture with your Pre or downloaded it from an email or transfered it from your PC. There's no need to resize or crop on your PC.
    Excellent post and thank you sir.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    I would imagine that the ideal size would be 288x288 then? That is the lowest common multiple of both 72 and 96....
    Wouldn't work, must be at least 320x320. You could try a higher common multiple, but I'm betting against it working. I'll try a little later though...
    Would 576x576 work? It is the second lowest common multiple of 96 and 72, and is still bigger than 320x320. I'd try this, but I don't have a Pre, and I'm not sure how to load stuff into the SDK emulator.

Maybe someone else could try.
    Last edited by Nismode; 07/07/2009 at 01:28 PM.
    Palm m100>Palm m130>Sony Clie>HP Jornada 525>Dell Axim X3i>Nokia 3395>Nokia 6630>Motorola i530>PPC 6700>Mogul (PPC-6800)

Palm Pre!
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    This would probably be great for a Sticky....
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quick tip for those who are going to do this: Make sure that your contact's face is not the full 320 x 320, otherwise it will be covered by the call status bar at the bottom. I'm guessing, but the face should be centered and about 200 x 200.
    Sooo, what was Mega Fox's number again?
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    I'm not sure what the difference is, but my Pre does this already. I took a picture of my girlfriend with my Pre, opened the picture in the Photos app, selected "Assign to Contact," picked her contact, pinched and zoomed and moved until it was cropped in the displayed square the way I wanted, and it looks great!

I'm sure you can do this with any picture on your Pre, whether you took the picture with your Pre or downloaded it from an email or transfered it from your PC. There's no need to resize or crop on your PC.
    Your way works too, but by virtue of the fact that the Pre has a 3 megapixel camera (1520 x 2032 pixel resolution). In other words, any photo taken by the pre will have more than enough resolution necessary to satisfy the limit. However, if you download an image from email or transfer from your PC and it is under 320 pixels wide, you will have problems.

The tutorial is helpful where it is impractical to take pictures of your favorite contacts with the Pre, you desire a higher quality image than available from the Pre, there is a favorite image you have of someone that you wish to choose, or that you wish to use something other than a portrait.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoteriX View Post
    Your way works too, but by virtue of the fact that the Pre has a 3 megapixel camera (1520 x 2032 pixel resolution). In other words, any photo taken by the pre will have more than enough resolution necessary to satisfy the limit. However, if you download an image from email or transfer from your PC and it is under 320 pixels wide, you will have problems.

The tutorial is helpful where it is impractical to take pictures of your favorite contacts with the Pre, you desire a higher quality image than available from the Pre, there is a favorite image you have of someone that you wish to choose, or that you wish to use something other than a portrait.
    I totally agree. Your way works great, I tried it. As an alternative, if you get a high enough resolution image onto your Pre device, you can use the Pre's own zoom-and-crop function to make your contact photo.

I know what you mean by using something other than a portrait. I use a picture of Yngwie Malmsteen for one of my friends and a picture of Gene Simmons from Kiss for my cousin. It's fun.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    So, hopefully this isn't a stupid question, but can you remove the photo you used as a contact photo once it's been assigned? Does the phone keep it's own copy of the photo in it's contact database?
    Quote Originally Posted by ION-q View Post
    Nice!

But can you re-write it using Megan's **** as the contact photo?
    Yeah I was kinda wondering why dude took chose him over her as the example. Great write up though, thanks for the info.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post

I was going to post this same thing. Knowing that there is a 320 pixel threshold is great, so thank you very much OP. But... my method (ok, ok, Palm's method) is pretty easy too.

• Find a picture of a friend you want to use as a contact
    • Get that picture on to your Pre either by taking it directly with the Pre's camera, or transferring it to the Pre by USB mode (or if you've rooted, transfer it via SFTP).
    • Find the pic you want to use in the Photos app, click the share button, and then hit "Assign to contact".
    • Find the desired contact, resize as necessary, and you're done.

There's really no reason to use your computer to crop your picture unless it's HUGE, and the Pre won't let you zoom in as much as you want.

BTW- you can delete the picture out of your photo roll, and the contact picture will still remain.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by buyrihn View Post
    BTW- you can delete the picture out of your photo roll, and the contact picture will still remain.
    Cool! Thanks for the info!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by dcigary View Post
    While doing some research, I came across an interesting tidbit. When you have a contact that has other linked profiles, the "default profile" is the only one that is searched when using global search. Wow. I've been assigning the default profile based on which picture I wanted to use, which now might not have been such a good idea as it might limit what I pick up in global search. I guess there's no way to force a profile to have a specific photo after it's been linked, huh? Grrr.
    I do not think this is correct. My wife's AIM profile is GinPar. I changed that to the default profile, but when I type in "gini" (note the "i" at the end), it still comes up with her name.

Typing in her full name gives the same results.

Neither "Gini", nor her full name are part of her AOL contact.

You might want to check your system to see which of us might be missing something.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcigary View Post
    Yup, as I suspected, as soon as you sync up to Google and then to Outlook, it mungs the photo up in Outlook. (sigh) Who said Synergy was going to be easy again?
    When you say "Outlook", do you mean EAS? If so, this won't happen if you create a Palm Profile contact for the user. The problem is if you use the Exchange contact and assign a photo, you are assigning it in Exchange. If you want to not affect the Exchange photo, you must create a Palm Profile contact and assign the photo there.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    When you say "Outlook", do you mean EAS? If so, this won't happen if you create a Palm Profile contact for the user. The problem is if you use the Exchange contact and assign a photo, you are assigning it in Exchange. If you want to not affect the Exchange photo, you must create a Palm Profile contact and assign the photo there.
    Is there any easy way to transfer EAS or google contacts over to your palm profile? I still only have the a's and b's in my palm profile.
  19. TFT
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Great Tip!
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    Is there any easy way to transfer EAS or google contacts over to your palm profile? I still only have the a's and b's in my palm profile.
    I second this question. Does anyone know of a way to do this?

Great tips from the OP. Thanks!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast