Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Woohoo!

Studio City, CA (PRWEB) July 7, 2009 -- The popular free music download website Kazaa is planning to release a major new service that is hoped to shake up the online media industry, currently dominated by iTunes. Kazaa hopes to build on their success and continue to build brand loyalty and differentiate themselves from iTunes, Napster, Amazon and Rhapsody. The new service will allow Kazaa members the ability to upload and share their Standard and High Definition videos direct with the Kazaa community. Anticipation for this service has been monumental as it completes an integral piece in the development of a more comprehensive product for their membership.

This exciting addition will allow for home videos and HD quality movies to be transferred for free. Members will be given the opportunity to share videos, HD movies, photos and documents freely and without restriction. The capacity to network within the community has been increased to meet the demands of users seeking a multifaceted approach for social networking. Kazaa now supports any phone that can connect to a PC. The Palm PRE was the first device to handle full feaure Kazaa HD quality movies.
    Kazaa Movie Download Exclusive On Palm Pre - Watching Movies in Your Pocket
    How is Kazaa legal?
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Kazaa is subscription based now, so it's legal. They use the sub fees to pay the movie studios.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Is it going to come loaded with Spyware like the regular version? hope not. I can't imagine getting a virus or spyware on my Pre = Nightmare
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I'm guessing (if this is true) that one could only download a movie when on Wifi and not solely on Sprint's network?
    The palm pre was the first? When was that?
    Thats what i was wondering too. And where is this great movie site at???
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mattybear View Post
    Thats what i was wondering too. And where is this great movie site at???
    Looks like Kazaa maybe jumped the gun on announcing the Pre to be the first smart phone to use it and the only one to handle HD. Perhaps Palm is waiting to announce it in conjunction with other new apps and features.

As for the movie site, take note of this from the article:

The popular free music download website Kazaa is planning to release a major new service that is hoped to shake up the online media industry, currently dominated by iTunes. Kazaa hopes to build on their success and continue to build brand loyalty and differentiate themselves from iTunes, Napster, Amazon and Rhapsody. The new service will allow Kazaa members the ability to upload and share their Standard and High Definition videos direct with the Kazaa community.
    There is no mention of a date as to when this will happen, but one should assume that it will be shortly.

Here's Kazaa's website, if you're interested:

Music Downloads | Download Music Now Get Unlimited Access to Millions of Songs. 100% Legal. Kazaa.com
    So how do you twist your body around enough to see in your pocket to watch the movie? I have to admit, using your pocket to provide a nice, dark place is a very creative way of creating a portable movie theater, but I'm old. I can't bend that way. And I always hate getting popcorn in my pockets when I go to the theater. If I tried to eat popcorn while watching in my pocket, I'd have to take an intermission just to clean out my pocket so I could see the screen again.....
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    There is already enough fingerprint grease on the phone.
    this is potentially huge.... downloading movie/video content i wonder when the gadget blogs will pick up on this.
    I remember the good ol kazaa days before spyware . Heh
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    I came up with a different portable solution to watch video that doesn't involve web or wifi access. A couple of times per year I take long airplane trips in conjunction with my hobby of nature photography, and I always take along a device intended for downloading digital photos off of compact flash cards. It's designed to permit review of your files on a small screen, and it also will play videos on the screen. For the last couple of years I've been using it to view movies during the flights. I have to have loaded the movies on it ahead of time, there's no downloading. It's bulky enough that nobody would want to tote it around at all times (size of a small paperback book and about an inch thick) but it fits well in a pocket of my photo vest, and I need the thing anyway to have a backup of my photos. Recently I found a non-Pre solution I think I'm going to be happier with. Amazon.com has Creative Zen 8 Gigabyte MP3 players at a pretty attractive price of $85:

Amazon.com: Creative Zen 8 GB Portable Media Player (Black): Electronics

(edit as of 7/14/09) The price is back up to about $105, sorry!

For now, buying it on Amazon gives you a $5 credit in their MP3 store. For some reason the other sizes (they range from 2 gig to 32 gig of memory) aren't similarly marked down, the 4 gig is actually more expensive than the 8 gig!!! These players also accept a SD card to store additional files on, though the interface is clumsy.

The thing is a bit larger than a credit card, and perhaps 1/4 inch thick. Screen is 2.5 inches, slightly smaller than that of the Pre, but is very nice. It works directly with Amazon "Video on Demand" downloads, or you can load video onto it through USB. The manufacturer claims five hours of video viewing on a battery (non-replacable, ugh) and cnet and several review sites support this. Best of all, it does not run down my Pre battery! I've put several videos onto it and viewed them and am content with the experience for what it is. You can also use it to listen to MP3 files of course.

The Creative Zen is small enough that I can envision a video addict carrying one around at all times, though I'm probably going to limit it to plane trips myself. There is a custom-fitted hard plastic case with integral stand that I've got on order but haven't received yet. I'm looking forward to giving it the acid test on a plane trip in about two weeks!!! I think it will be an excellent solution to viewing videos on the move. I don't think my Pre would last long enough to view a movie before the battery ran down! :-(

I have no affiliation with Amazon.com or Creative Zen.
    Last edited by MikeBinOK; 07/14/2009 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Provide updated price info
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    dont use kazaa unless you want a lawsuit.

Use forums thats have rapidshare links much safer.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    I remember the good ol kazaa days before spyware . Heh
    (sigh) Me, too. I loved it. Got some of my really obscure stuff through that.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBinOK View Post
    I came up with a different portable solution to watch video that doesn't involve web or wifi access. A couple of times per year I take long airplane trips in conjunction with my hobby of nature photography, and I always take along a device intended for downloading digital photos off of compact flash cards. It's designed to permit review of your files on a small screen, and it also will play videos on the screen. For the last couple of years I've been using it to view movies during the flights. I have to have loaded the movies on it ahead of time, there's no downloading. It's bulky enough that nobody would want to tote it around at all times (size of a small paperback book and about an inch thick) but it fits well in a pocket of my photo vest, and I need the thing anyway to have a backup of my photos. Recently I found a non-Pre solution I think I'm going to be happier with. Amazon.com has Creative Zen 8 Gigabyte MP3 players at a pretty attractive price of $85:

For now, buying it on Amazon gives you a $5 credit in their MP3 store. For some reason the other sizes (they range from 2 gig to 32 gig of memory) aren't similarly marked down, the 4 gig is actually more expensive than the 8 gig!!! These players also accept a SD card to store additional files on, though the interface is clumsy.

The thing is a bit larger than a credit card, and perhaps 1/4 inch thick. Screen is 2.5 inches, slightly smaller than that of the Pre, but is very nice. It works directly with Amazon "Video on Demand" downloads, or you can load video onto it through USB. The manufacturer claims five hours of video viewing on a battery (non-replacable, ugh) and cnet and several review sites support this. Best of all, it does not run down my Pre battery! I've put several videos onto it and viewed them and am content with the experience for what it is. You can also use it to listen to MP3 files of course.

The Creative Zen is small enough that I can envision a video addict carrying one around at all times, though I'm probably going to limit it to plane trips myself. There is a custom-fitted hard plastic case with integral stand that I've got on order but haven't received yet. I'm looking forward to giving it the acid test on a plane trip in about two weeks!!! I think it will be an excellent solution to viewing videos on the move. I don't think my Pre would last long enough to view a movie before the battery ran down! :-(

I got one of those for my son. They're really good. Beautiful picture quality and accepting of so many video formats.

I got the Zen Vision W for myself and I LOVE IT because of the video out. I download from Amazon (anything purchased, not rented, can include a 2nd portable file), and then I plug my Zen Vision into my big analog Sony in my livingroom to watch. It's got 32G, so I have probably 10 movies sitting on it as well as pics and music. I think they discontinued them though. People seem to prefer the tiny-sized portables. Frankly, it was the video out that sold me.

It's too bad you can't do portables with rentals though. That's really annoying and the only thing that keeps my Zen from being the all-perfect-solution. I'll probably end up buying a Roku.

I keep wondering if Amazon will add the Pre to their list of portable devices for movies. It would seem logical given they have hooked up with the Pre for MP3s.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TwizteD25 View Post
    dont use kazaa unless you want a lawsuit.

Use forums thats have rapidshare links much safer.
    That's the old Kazaa before they went legit. Kinda like Napster.
    Not sure how helpful it's going to be to have large HD video files on a phone without an HD screen and very limited storage. Hopefully they have a non-HD option like the iTunes store so I can realistically have at least one movie/video on the phone...
    For a way to view video "on the road" without running down the Pre battery, I recommended the following a few months back:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBinOK View Post
    Recently I found a non-Pre solution I think I'm going to be happier with. Amazon.com has Creative Zen 8 Gigabyte MP3 players at a pretty attractive price of $85:

As a followup to this, refurbs of the 2gb version are available there for only $30! The limited 2gb memory doesn't matter much since you can put in an SD card and boost memory up to 10 or 18gb very easily. If you want more internal memory, refurb 8gb is available for $64. I bought a 2gb as a spare to my 8gb simply because the cost was so low. Here's the Amazon link to the 2gb:

Amazon.com: ZEN 2GB Refurbished (Black): Electronics
    Mike B in OKlahoma

Palm V-->Palm Vx-->Palm m505-->Garmin iQue3600-->Treo 650-->Treo 755p-->Palm Pre