Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just got the Pre last Friday, but after messing around with it for the weekend, I am taking it back.

For starters, the coverage is CRAP compared to ATT in my area. I've heard the complaints about people dropping calls on ATT all the time. That hasn't really been a big issue for me. But the number of calls I've dropped on Sprint these last few days has been ridiculous!!! I've dropped about 1/3rd of my calls, maybe closer to 1/2.

I happen to still be under contract with ATT for two more weeks, so I have both the iPhone and the Pre at the moment. I couldnt wait to get the Pre so I went out and got it. Besides the multi-tasking aspect of the Pre, there's not much that's making me wanna keep the Pre. Unlimited texting is also pretty nice to have, but the really really bad service in my area is swaying me towards just upgrading to the 3GS and sticking with ATT and just pay up an extra 15 bucks for 1500 text messages.

Anyway, I was just wondering, are there any fees or any type of penalty for returning the Pre?

It's a nice phone and all, but I just can't handle all these dropped calls and low reception most of the time.
    There shouldn't be any fees except that you're still responsible for the time you have been using your phone. Just the weekend's worth of Sprint coverage.
  3.    #3  
    oh ok... thank you!
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    great first post.
    If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    See this thread for information about a bogus restocking fee they might try to drop on you.
    I think the bad signal coverage is more phone than Sprint related. My Pre went back in a matter of days because phone coverage was much worse than my $99 Centro, Moto Q or 5yr old Samsung i500. It was worse than my Treo Pro which actually isn't as good as my Centro. So I blame Palm more than I blame Sprint.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by aglide View Post
    See this thread for information about a bogus restocking fee they might try to drop on you.
    Thanks a lot! I will remember that.
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    If you like the phone you should wait until it gets to Verizon.
    so one can pay more for service or to simply wait out all the bugs and shortcomings?
    Quote Originally Posted by ray1b View Post
    If you like the phone you should wait until it gets to Verizon.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    I think the bad signal coverage is more phone than Sprint related. My Pre went back in a matter of days because phone coverage was much worse than my $99 Centro, Moto Q or 5yr old Samsung i500. It was worse than my Treo Pro which actually isn't as good as my Centro. So I blame Palm more than I blame Sprint.
    Oh really? That's a bummer. I was kinda wondering about that because my whole family is on Nextel/Sprint and they never seemed to struggle as much as I did this weekend. I used to have a Nextel phone before I switched to my iPhone, and I don't remember it being this bad.

Like I said, I enjoyed the phone, webOS is a nifty little operating system, but I'm not gonna put up with a phone that has me worrying about whether I will drop my next call.

Keep in mind, I do live in a mountainous area so I shouldn't expect perfect coverage with any carrier, but ATT's just better here.
    Quote Originally Posted by silky View Post
    I'm not gonna put up with a phone that has me worrying about whether I will drop my next call.
    You should definitely switch to AT&T preferably with an iPhone because then you will never drop another call...

This post belongs in the CDMA forum. imo
    Palm Pre
    (formerly TouchPro, iPhone 3G, Curve, 8800, Treo800p, E61, N9300, Treo 700p ,Treo 600, I500, I330, Treo 300, I300, 6035)
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Wirelessness View Post
    You should definitely switch to AT&T preferably with an iPhone because then you will never drop another call...

haha thanks for the snide attitude you're right though, im kind of a noob here, so i didn't know any better on where the thread goes... considering my location (mountain range), my iPhone hasnt been bad at all... i've enjoyed my Pre and webOS when coverage is good, but like I said, it just doesn't work for me here
    My apologies, I thought you were another one of those one post wonders who feel compelled to come on here and tell everyone they are returning their Pre.
    Palm Pre
    (formerly TouchPro, iPhone 3G, Curve, 8800, Treo800p, E61, N9300, Treo 700p ,Treo 600, I500, I330, Treo 300, I300, 6035)
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Just call customer service after. they should take it off.
    Oh really? That's a bummer. I was kinda wondering about that because my whole family is on Nextel/Sprint and they never seemed to struggle as much as I did this weekend. I used to have a Nextel phone before I switched to my iPhone, and I don't remember it being this bad.

Like I said, I enjoyed the phone, webOS is a nifty little operating system, but I'm not gonna put up with a phone that has me worrying about whether I will drop my next call.

Keep in mind, I do live in a mountainous area so I shouldn't expect perfect coverage with any carrier, but ATT's just better here.
    Maybe you should call customer care and let them know about the coverage issue. If you like the device an AirRave may help...soon they will have femtocells offering 3g data as well as voice...do a search on the forum, its like a mini celltower in your house...
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wirelessness View Post

But its basically a bug with the Pre so it belongs here. If you live in a very strong sprint area, its not much of an issue. In a low-medium signal area, its a big deal. Not a problem on other sprint phones compared to the Pre. But this has pretty much been talked about to death.
    so tired of the AirRave thing. Such a poor excuse for a bad radio. Many people with coverage issues have them more than just at home.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    Maybe you should call customer care and let them know about the coverage issue. If you like the device an AirRave may help...soon they will have femtocells offering 3g data as well as voice...do a search on the forum, its like a mini celltower in your house...
    FWIW, since I changed my network setting to "Sprint Only", I have great battery life and a more stable signal. You may want to give this a try.

Unfortunately, most of the responders here seem more intent on having you change than helping.

I'd suggest calling Sprint tech support. There are adjustments they can make to your phone that may help.

If you've gone that route, sounds like you might need to keep th iPhone.
    Last edited by hparsons; 07/07/2009 at 01:56 AM.
    I just got the Pre last Friday, but after messing around with it for the weekend, I am taking it back.

For starters, the coverage is CRAP compared to ATT in my area. I've heard the complaints about people dropping calls on ATT all the time. That hasn't really been a big issue for me. But the number of calls I've dropped on Sprint these last few days has been ridiculous!!! I've dropped about 1/3rd of my calls, maybe closer to 1/2.

I happen to still be under contract with ATT for two more weeks, so I have both the iPhone and the Pre at the moment. I couldnt wait to get the Pre so I went out and got it. Besides the multi-tasking aspect of the Pre, there's not much that's making me wanna keep the Pre. Unlimited texting is also pretty nice to have, but the really really bad service in my area is swaying me towards just upgrading to the 3GS and sticking with ATT and just pay up an extra 15 bucks for 1500 text messages.

Anyway, I was just wondering, are there any fees or any type of penalty for returning the Pre?

It's a nice phone and all, but I just can't handle all these dropped calls and low reception most of the time.
    If sprint can't give you a better replacement and the phone is dropping calls to the point where its totally unreliable then get rid of it.

Among multiple hardware issues, the pre has been shown to have poor reception in areas where previous sprint phones were fine.

Not acceptable. It sounds like they've used a weak radio.

The overall conclusions are that the pre has an interesting webos with cheap hardware and problematic reception. Many returns have ensued as a result so you would by no means be alone in an exchange.

Get a phone you can depend on.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast