Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Before I start, let me state that I did do a search, but didn't see anything. But I'm sure this has probably been discussed at some point.

OK, I haven't purchased my Pre yet, but it's coming soon. But does it have a privacy feature? And what I'm talking about is the ability to shield your text messages or emails from just popping up on the screen. If the screen is locked, do the messages show up or do you just get a notification that you have a msg? On my Instinct, once you lock the screen, there's an option to "Show Alerts", which you can turn on/off. Does this exist on the Pre? Can someone post a screenshot? Thanks in advance.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Yessir, you can lock your pre with a pin or password. Can't post a screen right now, but it is fairly slick and works as you'd expect. There is an on-screen numeric keypad so unlocking is fast and easy without having to slide open the keyboard.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    If it is sitting on the Touchstone locked, it will show the last message received and the amount of new messages you have. I am not sure what it does if you use a PIN, since I do not.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Oh my... Just had my gf txt me while my phone was locked to test privacy for you. The first line of the message was displayed as a preview, and had I been at work my face would be very red. Lol...
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nullity View Post
    Oh my... Just had my gf txt me while my phone was locked to test privacy for you. The first line of the message was displayed as a preview, and had I been at work my face would be very red. Lol...
    That is what i thought it did ... no bueno for work, lol
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Hmm... There is an option here to turn off notifications when locked. Lets see what happens if I toggle it on...
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Ah, that works. Nobody would have seen her 2nd txt that read "wtf" with notifications disabled.
    the notifications are independent of whether or not the phone is locked. it will still show the notifications. the only difference is that, if you have a PIN setup, you will need the pin to go beyond the notification.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    I think what the OP was after was knowing whether or not people would be able to read message content without unlocking the phone. The answer is that no part of the text is displayed when notifications are disabled; there is no indication that a message has been received beyond the sound notification as it comes in.
    You can turn the notifications off so they don't show up and just have it make a sound when something comes in, or you can turn that off as well.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nullity View Post
    That's exactly why I wanted to know. lol. I tend to leave set my phone down in random places and didn't want to have an inappropriate message out in the open at work or something.

Hmm... There is an option here to turn off notifications when locked. Lets see what happens if I toggle it on...
    Ah, that works. Nobody would have seen her 2nd txt that read "wtf" with notifications disabled.
    OK. Sounds pretty much the same as my Instinct. Sounds like it works just like I'd want it to. I hate having my texts out in the open. Thanx to all for responding.