Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    July 6, 2009
    Palm Pre Extended Battery Offers 20% More Juice With No Size Difference
    By KEVIN C. TOFEL of GigaOm
    Earlier today when pitting push notifications against background apps on handsets, I mentioned that battery life is one disadvantages of a multitasking operating system. With the original 1150mAh battery in the Palm Pre, many folks find they canít get through a full day on a single charge. You can replace the battery in the Pre, but I personally find it difficult to remove the back case. Itís not something Iíd want to do on a daily basis, although I appreciate the option.

Another option would be an extended battery, but I donít want the Pre to be any thicker than it is. Luckily, Palm Infocenter noticed that Seidio is now shipping a higher-capacity power pack for the Pre, and itís the same size as the original battery. At $44.95, the Innocell battery is rated for 1350mAh, or just shy of 20 percent more capacity than the 1150mAh battery that comes with the Pre. If youíre finding a low battery six or eight hours in your day, this replacement ought to last you between 7.25 and 9.5 hours on a single charge, all things being equal.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Almost 45 bucks for just an hour or two of more juice!!?? Something I will definitely not consider. I use my pre pretty often and my batter life is not bad at all. For instance, as I am writing this response, my pre has being off the charger for 12 hours and 14 minutes and has only lost 40% of battery.

I still have 60% left after over 12 hours in which I have listen to pandora and the music app for over 5 hours, being on phone calls for about 2.5 hours, and use other things such as browsing, taking pictures, and the GPS for a 20 minute drive. As you can see, I have only lost 40% of battery with all that usage, which is much better than what I was getting on my iPhone. I have my email set to as they arrive, bluetooth enabled, and screen brightness on 1/3.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    I want to see independant measurements that prove it offers 20% more capacity.
    I wonder if it would cause any more heat in usage
    This thread illustrates one more reason why I really love the pre: Because of the removable battery, we have the option to have discussions pertaining to longer life batteries, etc.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeYuse0406 View Post
    Almost 45 bucks for just an hour or two of more juice!!?? Something I will definitely not consider. I use my pre pretty often and my batter life is not bad at all. For instance, as I am writing this response, my pre has being off the charger for 12 hours and 14 minutes and has only lost 40% of battery.

I still have 60% left after over 12 hours in which I have listen to pandora and the music app for over 5 hours, being on phone calls for about 2.5 hours, and use other things such as browsing, taking pictures, and the GPS for a 20 minute drive. As you can see, I have only lost 40% of battery with all that usage, which is much better than what I was getting on my iPhone. I have my email set to as they arrive, bluetooth enabled, and screen brightness on 1/3.
    quite absurd battery life if you really did 5 hours of music, 2.5 hours talking, gps for 20 min and are still at 60%....
    Quote Originally Posted by tarpon6 View Post
    I want to see independant measurements that prove it offers 20% more capacity.
    Uhhh 1150mAh vs 1350mAh should tell you all by itself...
    Quote Originally Posted by jmart603 View Post
    quite absurd battery life if you really did 5 hours of music, 2.5 hours talking, gps for 20 min and are still at 60%....
    My Pre is getting me that kind of life out of the battery now. First week it was horrible, then I started dropping it. Now I've been off charger for 18 hrs at times and had some battery life left to spare.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    I got the Seidio 1350mAh battery for my Treo 800w and I never saw any improvement.
    Yeah, seriously, this Seidio extended battery has been out for some time; someone should do a test with some acceptable parameters.

I would suggest this:

- Turn on airplane mode so as to nullify signal strength variance eating away the battery and skewing the results
    - Use the music or video player to judge how long the Pre will go with both the standard and extended batteries
    - Monitor the battery life every 15-30 minutes
    - Create graphs/charts to visually represent your findings

I would love to do this, but am currently cash-strapped (redecorating is EXPENSIVE, lol) and cannot purchase a Seidio battery at this time.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmart603 View Post
    Yup, I detect a hint of fanboism in that post too...

Not that there's anything wrong with that... lol
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    I read somewhere that there was a chip in the Palm Pre battery that allowed it to go to sleep properly. Not sure if that same chip is present in this new battery, but if it is, 20% is pretty huge. Makes me wonder why Palm didn't include a 1350 instead of an 1150 in the first place, though.

Ideally, I'd like a bigger battery and an external battery charger to always keep a healthy battery ready for rotation.
    Quote Originally Posted by buyrihn View Post
    I read somewhere that there was a chip in the Palm Pre battery that allowed it to go to sleep properly. Not sure if that same chip is present in this new battery, but if it is, 20% is pretty huge. Makes me wonder why Palm didn't include a 1350 instead of an 1150 in the first place, though.

Ideally, I'd like a bigger battery and an external battery charger to always keep a healthy battery ready for rotation.
    I now have a Touchstone at home, a Touchstone mounted on the dash of my car, and another Touchstone at the office. Even though I was getting up to 18 hours of battery life before I purchased the additional Touchstones, now I don't need to worry about it. Ideal for me!
    Quote Originally Posted by a dumb cat View Post
    Yup, I detect a hint of fanboism in that post too...

Not that there's anything wrong with that... lol
    It is not fanboism (if that's even a word), but the hard true. With the same usage, my 3g and 3gs would have been at under 50%, whereas my Pre still had 60% to go. However, you are free to think whatever you please while I am extremely happy with my pre and the battery life. So far (knock on wood), I have gotten a better device with a better battery life compared to the iPhone, which is nothing more than a big hype.
    Unfortunately I had to return this battery because it was SLIGHTLY shorter than the original Palm battery and would shut down whenever I closed the keyboard. Although Seidio says it's not their issue it's Palms?? All I know is that my battery from Palm never caused this behavior although I know some people have reported it.
    Here is a better price for this battery through Amazon. 33.60 w/free shipping.

Amazon.com: Seidio BASI13PMX3 Innocell 1350mAh Extended Life Battery for Use with Palm Pre: Cell Phones & Service
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    I wonder if it would cause any more heat in usage
    It should be less heat. The percentage of drawn power will be less with a bigger capacity battery. For example 20mW drawn power will be 1.7% on a 1150 battery, while it will be 1.4% in a 1350 battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by southflguy View Post
    Unfortunately I had to return this battery because it was SLIGHTLY shorter than the original Palm battery and would shut down whenever I closed the keyboard. Although Seidio says it's not their issue it's Palms?? All I know is that my battery from Palm never caused this behavior although I know some people have reported it.
    There is a fix, put a folded up piece of paper between the top edge of the Seidio battery and the Pre to eliminate the potential play!
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I'll just buy another micro USB cable from monoprice for like 5 bucks and plug my Pre in while at my desk.
    I don't think much about my battery anymore, and even forgot to put it on the charger last night. But I may buy this battery as it wouldn't hurt to have that extra bit of capacity when I travel.

Amazon is out of stock, tho.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast