Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Update: See the information I've tracked down so far here. Essentially, If you've had your Pre replaced, I highly suggest you check to make sure MMS messages work properly. If you're getting one replaced, do not accept a refurbished device.

EDIT:This isn't carrier specific. The problems involve all carriers, including Sprint.

Anyone else having issues receiving picture messages from other (non-Sprint) carriers on their Pre? I get an error message instead of the message: "failed to download msg ". Clicking on the message, I get the option to "Retry Message Fetch" or "Close". Retrying never works.

A quick google search shows a couple other people with the issue. Some of them restarted the phone which resolved the issue. That doesn't seem to have worked for me.

I'm on the phone with Sprint as I type this but they're unsurprisingly unhelpful... (Just got transferred to a "Senior Agent" - the 3rd person trying to help)

Thoughts?
    Brett
    Last edited by Nrbelex; 07/07/2009 at 10:19 PM.
    I get pictures just fine from a Verizon user, and a Tmobile user. I'm not sure what your problem is, I used to get those errors all the time with my Nextel Phones though.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I receive them fine as well. I just cant stand the way Sprint sends them. As a text message with a LINK? I have had this issue since the 700wx, but still sucks. Any carrier in particular?
    Quote Originally Posted by BenS_aTm View Post
    I receive them fine as well. I just cant stand the way Sprint sends them. As a text message with a LINK? I have had this issue since the 700wx, but still sucks. Any carrier in particular?
    I don't have a pre yet so I don't know but didn't Palm or Sprint (don't remember which one) say that the Pre would receive/send picture mail without the link just like other carriers?
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drnycallstar19 View Post
    I don't have a pre yet so I don't know but didn't Palm or Sprint (don't remember which one) say that the Pre would receive/send picture mail without the link just like other carriers?
    Well if they said that, then they have not implemented it yet ... It has been the same way for the past 2 years. Sucks for phones that get MMS, but not Web. Makes it pointless ........
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Ok, tried a hard reset (completely from scratch - reactivated and everything) but no luck. It looks like the problem is not specifically carrier-related; MMS from Sprint customers are giving me the same error.

Brett
    I can get messages from AT&T and Verizon users without any problems.
    my friend has cricket and works fine. my other friend has a nokia 5800 on att and we have no problems with mmsing each other

using my acer aspire tethered to my palm pre
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Well there are at least a few other people with the issue here. Has anyone with this problem solved it yet?

Brett
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    No problems here, I received pictures & music from AT&T, T-mobile, Verizon & Metro pcs. Also coming from the BB Curve from Sprint, Its so nice to be able to have true MMS, no links or errors & sending MMS messages is so much better and faster on the Pre.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I've recieved picture fine, as well.
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    I'm definitely not alone - a few other threads detailing the problem:

- "Picture Mail help!!!"
    - "Receiving MMS?" (Previously posted above)
    - "Reason why MMS fails"
    - "Pic mail will send, but not receive"

Notes:
    - Some people have success yanking the battery for a while. (It didn't work for me)
    - A hard reset did not fix the problem for me.
    - Receiving an MMS from another Pre did not work.

I'll keep working on it...

Brett
    I receive photos within my text messages just fine. Not a link, but the actual photo within the body of the SMS. Then my Pre saves that photo in a folder in Photos called Messaging. I've only ever recieved from other Sprint users, so can't speak to other carriers.
    ~Pam
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PWSammy View Post
    I receive photos within my text messages just fine. Not a link, but the actual photo within the body of the SMS. Then my Pre saves that photo in a folder in Photos called Messaging. I've only ever recieved from other Sprint users, so can't speak to other carriers.
    I receive them in the text, but when I send them, they receive them as a link in a text. A friend of mine with AT&T just said something to me about it ....
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I had problems sending MMS to a verizon phone: the Pre would think that it sent the MMS, but the verizon phone never got the message.

Just this weekend, a friend sent me a MMS from his Pre at 4 p.m. on Saturday which arrived on my Pre at 7 p.m. on Monday...

Clearly there's something up with Sprint's MMS implementation, or the size of the pics that the Pre produces, or something, because MMS shouldn't be this complicated.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acyork View Post
    I had problems sending MMS to a verizon phone: the Pre would think that it sent the MMS, but the verizon phone never got the message.

Just this weekend, a friend sent me a MMS from his Pre at 4 p.m. on Saturday which arrived on my Pre at 7 p.m. on Monday...

Clearly there's something up with Sprint's MMS implementation, or the size of the pics that the Pre produces, or something, because MMS shouldn't be this complicated.
    Was it a link or a picture in the text??
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    from the photos app, I just MMS'd a picture to an ATT phone. No problems, and the pictured showed up in the message, not a link.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by curtissc View Post
    from the photos app, I just MMS'd a picture to an ATT phone. No problems, and the pictured showed up in the message, not a link.
    Well that is good to hear. My brother and I tested it with our Pres and it worked just like MMS should. I guess they finally fixed it!
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    I guess they finally fixed it!
    I'm still not getting MMS properly. Using the Sprint Mobile Photo website to send myself pics, I'm still getting the error.

This problem appears to only affect a small number of phones.

Note - I am able to use MMS to E-mail the pic to an E-mail address...

Brett
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Was it a link or a picture in the text??
    It was a regular MMS, with the pic in the messaging app.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast