Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I've noticed this a few times now. If I open Google Maps and tap the blue "locate me" dot, it will tell me that my location is unavailable. If I open the Sprint Nav app first, though, then Google Maps will get a fix quickly and accurately. It's as if the gps hardware isn't turned on by google maps itself. It eventually gets a fix using wi-fi at my work, but it shows me a few blocks from where I am.

Does anybody else have this problem? Reboot the Pre before trying to replicate it, so that everything is fresh. Otherwise, if you've had Sprint Nav open, it won't happen.

Oh, and the same thing happens in other apps that use Location Services, they say that they can't get the info.
    Do you have location services turned off, by chance?
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Location Services and Use GPS are turned on. However, I just tried Sprint Nav and not even that can get a fix, so something else is the problem.
    ^do a reset. This has been discussed. Memory leak maybe.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    There's something odd going on. I turned wifi off, and it still didn't work, then back on, and GPS works. The only thing I've done today that might affect it is associate with a new wifi hotspot at work.
    I did some testing a few days ago, trying to determine if the pre had "true" gps (It does)
    the odd thing i noticed was that gps is not available to any app for a minute or two after a reset, i don't know enough about the pre, or gps in general to understand why, but i tested it about 5 times, and each time it took a minute or two before i could get a fix, before that, just an error.

Try resetting and waiting 5 minutes, then try google maps without sprint nav, it should connect right up.