Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30
  1. Keen's Avatar
    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
       #1  
    If you got your Pre on launch day, today is the last day to get it insured. I just called sprint to get my phone insured. Although my Pre has been perfect since I got it on launch day, I just felt uncomfortable fearing it could break down any time. I know it's insured by the manufacture but I just feel uneasy with all the issues. This is my first time ever getting insurance. I've been with sprint for almost 10 years.
  2. Crimson's Avatar
    Posts
    156 Posts
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    #2  
    People need to remember the phone still has a 1 year warranty.
  3. d94
    d94 is offline
    d94's Avatar
    Posts
    272 Posts
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson View Post
    People need to remember the phone still has a 1 year warranty.
    which doesnt cover physical damage, loss, or water damage
    meaning if any of those happened your flat out of luck vs paying a deductible
    palm pro > visor > m100 > visor prism > clie sl30 > zire 71 > dell X5 > toshiba E755 > clie NX70 > ipaq 2200 > Treo 700w (verizon) > Treo 700wx (sprint) > Treo 755p (sprint) > HTC Mogul > HTC Diamond > HTC Touch Pro > Pre
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by d94 View Post
    which doesnt cover physical damage, loss, or water damage
    meaning if any of those happened your flat out of luck vs paying a deductible

    $100 dollar deductible. if it was $50 there would be no question
  5. Keen's Avatar
    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    $100 dollar deductible. if it was $50 there would be no question
    I didn't know there was a deductible. My roommate has the equipment plan and never pay any deductibles. She gets a new phone at least once a year.
  6. d94
    d94 is offline
    d94's Avatar
    Posts
    272 Posts
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    $100 dollar deductible. if it was $50 there would be no question
    up to you
    most would rather pay $100 than $550
    palm pro > visor > m100 > visor prism > clie sl30 > zire 71 > dell X5 > toshiba E755 > clie NX70 > ipaq 2200 > Treo 700w (verizon) > Treo 700wx (sprint) > Treo 755p (sprint) > HTC Mogul > HTC Diamond > HTC Touch Pro > Pre
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by d94 View Post
    up to you
    most would rather pay $100 than $550
    Ebay ftw - still hurts at around $350, but makes it a little easier to swallow
  8. #8  
    The deductible ONLY comes into play for physical damage such as water, gunshots, and dives out of a 10 floor building.

    For regular warranty repairs there is no deductible. Also the advantage to this is you don't need to send your phone into Palm before they send a replacement (or put a $400 charge on a card). Sprint will order your replacement if they dont' have one in store and have it overtightened to the store.
  9. #9  
    My brother in law cracked his screen and his deductible was the minimum 50.
  10. #10  
    Just go through State Farm or another insurance company and get a Personal Articles Policy for your phone. Covers damage, water damage, loss and theft. No deductible and I'm actually having them insure my laptop and my digital camera on top of that. All of that for $40 a year! Yes I said "a year".

    Besides, if you get it from Asurion or the phone company, they'll most likely give you a refurb. With this, you can get a brand new phone and they'll give you the money to reimburse you.

    How come most people don't do this?
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by CHEEZM03 View Post
    My brother in law cracked his screen and his deductible was the minimum 50.
    With previous phones, I've had a broken screen and should have been charged the deductable, but the store I brought it to for 1insurance repair/replacement did not charge me it. I think I swapped out a dozen phones on Sprint over the past 5 years, and only paid the deductable once or twice. Almost all of them were physical damaged too. I'm hard on my phones.
  12. buyrihn's Avatar
    Posts
    449 Posts
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by uptempo777 View Post
    Just go through State Farm or another insurance company and get a Personal Articles Policy for your phone. Covers damage, water damage, loss and theft. No deductible and I'm actually having them insure my laptop and my digital camera on top of that. All of that for $40 a year! Yes I said "a year".

    Besides, if you get it from Asurion or the phone company, they'll most likely give you a refurb. With this, you can get a brand new phone and they'll give you the money to reimburse you.

    How come most people don't do this?
    I've been screaming that same exact thing since that big thread came out about using SquareTrade. I had an iPhone since the beginning- BEFORE they started offering any type of insurance. Thank god I had the State Farm personal articles policy; I've cracked two of those infernal glass screens.

    I don't want to get on a rant here (with apologies to Dennis Miller), but making an often used, pocketable device that is normally about 4 1/2 feet off the ground or higher out of a material which has a fondness for breaking in a fall for said height, makes about as much sense as an Honduran decatur deposing a Brazilian foreign national, while imbibing Cruzlat.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by buyrihn View Post
    I've been screaming that same exact thing since that big thread came out about using SquareTrade. I had an iPhone since the beginning- BEFORE they started offering any type of insurance. Thank god I had the State Farm personal articles policy; I've cracked two of those infernal glass screens.

    I don't want to get on a rant here (with apologies to Dennis Miller), but making an often used, pocketable device that is normally about 4 1/2 feet off the ground or higher out of a material which has a fondness for breaking in a fall for said height, makes about as much sense as an Honduran decatur deposing a Brazilian foreign national, while imbibing Cruzlat.
    Thanks buyrihn! Hopefully more people start using this and stop paying more than they have to the phone companies.
  14. #14  
    Interesting. How does this State farm personal article works? Is there a site or can I just go into a State Farm agent? Do I need to show receipts for the items to be insured?

    This sounds like a deal. Thanks.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeYuse0406 View Post
    Interesting. How does this State farm personal article works? Is there a site or can I just go into a State Farm agent? Do I need to show receipts for the items to be insured?

    This sounds like a deal. Thanks.
    For me I went to the State Farm website and found the numbers of 3 different agents in my area. One of them said they don't cover cell phones, one offered the plan I got for $40 and another didn't call me back. So it varies from branch to branch but I didn't have to twist any arms to get it.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by uptempo777 View Post
    For me I went to the State Farm website and found the numbers of 3 different agents in my area. One of them said they don't cover cell phones, one offered the plan I got for $40 and another didn't call me back. So it varies from branch to branch but I didn't have to twist any arms to get it.
    Thanks. There are 4 state farm agents around my area that I know of. I will be paying them a visit tomorrow and see what each has to offer. Have you ever filed a claim? Have they come forward right away or try to give you the same crap most insurance companies give its costumers?
  17. #17  
    Which is the better plan: the $7 Total Protection Plan or the $4 Equipment Service and Repair Plan?

    I definitely don't wanna end up paying hundreds later if the phone breaks down but also dont want to pay more than I have to for the monthly insurance.
  18. buyrihn's Avatar
    Posts
    449 Posts
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by jcm114 View Post
    Which is the better plan: the $7 Total Protection Plan or the $4 Equipment Service and Repair Plan?

    I definitely don't wanna end up paying hundreds later if the phone breaks down but also dont want to pay more than I have to for the monthly insurance.
    The ESRP simply allows Sprint to be the conduit if you have a warranty issue with your Pre. You heard that right- you'll pay $4 per month simply for the privilege of not having to deal with Palm directly. If you'd rather deal with Palm, it's free. I like free.

    The TEP adds accidental breakage, so if you have water damage, et al, you can take get a replacement Pre for $100.

    If you DON'T get the ESRP, Palm will send you out a refurbished phone, but charge you for the shipping and handling, should there be a warranty issue. I've tried telling them how backwards that logic is, but to no avail.

    If you DON'T get the TEP, make sure you have some time of insurance that will cover accidental breakage. The State Farm one is great, but there are other options as well.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeYuse0406 View Post
    Thanks. There are 4 state farm agents around my area that I know of. I will be paying them a visit tomorrow and see what each has to offer. Have you ever filed a claim? Have they come forward right away or try to give you the same crap most insurance companies give its costumers?
    I haven't filed a claim yet with State Farm (and hoping I won't ever have to) but I have filed with Asurion before and did pay the deductible for my old Motorola Q. When you calculate it out, it doesn't seem like it's worth it and I had to pay the deductible on top of the monthly insurance.

    There are people if you search online that have and have gotten brand new phones so they might have detailed stories for you there.
  20. neilept's Avatar
    Posts
    216 Posts
    Global Posts
    381 Global Posts
    #20  
    The insurance does not cover water damage, does it? I had a phone in the past, and they said it was damaged by water, which the insurance does not cover.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions