Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Dear Palm,

We hate to bring up the B word but we kind of need to: Battery.

We know your reps are sick of hearing about the bad battery life. We understand that the Pre is running three radios at once that draw a lot of power:
    1. Cell Phone
    2. Bluetooth
    3. WiFi

We also understand that with Airplane Mode On (radios off) we get decent battery life.

One other key fact to consider is that many of us sometimes sleep and would prefer not to get phone calls, texts, or email notices while we are sleeping.

HEY!!! How about this?

How about giving us an option to automatically go into Airplane mode at some time we pick like 10:00 PM. Then let us automatically turn Airplane Mode Off at say 6:00 AM. That is 1/3 of the day that the Pre would draw almost no power!

What would that take, a morning to add that Auto On-Off option?

Look at what we get:
    1. The Pre might not be dead each morning when you get up.
    2. Users might think that the battery life is not as bad as it is.
    3. Your reps have a comeback to the constant battery life complaints.
    4. It's a cool new feature to have an automatic Do Not Disturb.
    5. You could honestly advertise that you have a new way to cut battery usage by almost a third.

If you were Apple you would wrap this in a big Go Green banner claiming that this would save the planet from global warming.

And it would take maybe a morning to do the code?

Palm, what do you say? It would be great if the Pre could be as advanced as the old Treo Power Hero but this would be a start. You would still have to look at your real battery issues of CPU usage, etc. but this would be an easy way to get a start at it.

- Craig

PS While you are at it could you fix the music player too?
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 07/07/2009 at 01:48 PM.
    Who is "we"?
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    I charge my pre at night while i'm sleeping. This isn't an option for you?
    I don't think most people have complaints about the battery life from 10pm to 6am, or whenever they're sleeping, since the phone is usually being charged during that time. Their complaints are during waking hours.
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDoG76 View Post
    Big "second" to this comment.

When I hit the sack, my Pre hits the charger. This "option" would not give me one more second of battery life.

I was camping this weekend and didn't have power at night. The phone was turned off.
    They can reduce battery usage by 1/3 by just working out the kinks in cpu scaling. I leave everything going on my phone and get phenomenal battery life. I believe in giving up as little as possible functionality wise, and with scaling, I give up nothing, and truly enjoy my phone.

Also, WiFi disables itself when the screen turns off, unless you're actively using an app like Pandora that uses it.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by BDoG76 View Post
    I always try to but if you miss, you wake up to a totally dead phone.

- Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinde View Post

- Craig
    Do or do not, there is no try.
    Yeah...my Pre is charging from 11pm to 6-7am.

But you can also turn off GPS and only turn it on for specific times (when using location-based software).
    Not only does mine charge at night, but with touchstones in the car and at work, i honestly couldn't tell you what the battery life is.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    I have a great idea on how to implement this feature. Why don't you press the power button, extend your finger, touch the top of the screen, and then touch "Turn On Airplane Mode". Then, WHENEVER you want to, repeat the same step again to turn the phone back on.

PROFIT!
    Quote Originally Posted by Siraris View Post
    I have a great idea on how to implement this feature. Why don't you press the power button, extend your finger, touch the top of the screen, and then touch "Turn On Airplane Mode". Then, WHENEVER you want to, repeat the same step again to turn the phone back on.

PROFIT!

Here, I'll put that in a handy dandy list for you:

1. Press power button
    2. Extend finger, touch top right corner of the screen
    3. Touch "Turn On Airplane Mode"
    4. .......
    5. Profit.
    Actually, this would be useful to have just for simplicity sake. There was a POS app called Radio Control that did this - turned off the radio at a set time and back on again. This meant I could leave ringer switch on, not worry about emails or other alerts waking me and then it would automagically turn back on the same time my home alarm was set.
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    since we are on the topic of battery life I just spent the past five days up in northern michigan, no sprint service however I did have roaming on evdo had internet access gps on, blue tooth on. and my battery life was about 12-15hrs on a charge. I didn't make many calls nor texts but I surfed the net here and there used the gps out on the trails. What I am getting at could it be sprint? that some how there network cause your battery to drain out quickly. Cause I have been back on the sprint network for about 5hrs now and my battery is 28%, and its 6:15pm here and no way will it last to 1:00am .
    Dude, I've never seen you on this site before today. However in the last 5 minutes I've read two threads started by you. Both of the OPs you whine to Palm about features "we" want. Please do not presume to represent me. You in fact do not represent me and please don't assume you know what's best for me.

Oh, BTW. have a nice day. :-)
    What about emergency phone calls in the middle of the night from family/friends? I cannot risk it, therefore this idea would not work for me.
    To the original poster:
    Very Dumb idea.
    Some of us practice medicine and need the pre ON.
    Please do not generalize when saying what YOU want in future.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinde View Post

- Craig
    I just got this hilarious image of someone carefully aiming the microUSB plug at the slot, then trying to jam it in, and missing the slot every time over and over, before finally giving up, putting the phone down, and going to bed.

I'm sure that's not the case, but is it really that hard to plug your phone in when you go to bed every night?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
    To the original poster:
    Very Dumb idea.
    Some of us practice medicine and need the pre ON.
    Please do not generalize when saying what YOU want in future.
    It's not a dumb idea. The OP asked for an option to turn the phone off at a certain time. It's an option. . . you wouldn't have to use it. It's an idea that you may not like, but jumping from "it's not something I would use" to "dumb" is pretty dumb.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    umm.. no thanks.. I like to leave my phone on during the night (charging on the night stand..) - that way my emails are syncd up in the morning.
    -m
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast