1.    #1  
    I went in because my screen had splotches, it got really hot, the USB door would not sit flush, the plastic at the bottom of the keyboard was totally disfigured from the slider being too hard to open, and a whole slew of other problems.

Well, I just spent the last few hours re-rooting the Pre, while charging on the Touchstone, for the most part. The Pre feels very cool to the touch, and I have no signs of splotches or color change.

Came loaded with:
    WebOS 1.03
    Sprint 1.5
    network firmware is CC1.1(90)
    PRL 60652

I guess I was technically after my 30-day timeframe, but they did it anyways. Really glad I went in! I just figured I'd give those who are having issues, some hope...

They had told me that there were waiting lists and they finally got the new stock in... Guess it's a newer build date.

Just a note, you can still see a tiny bit of bleed-thru on the bottom of the LCD, where it appears to get a bit wavy. This is not the splotches that most refer to. This is almost totally invisible, while my other phone had big circles of discoloration.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Just exchanged my PRE for reception issues. Jury is still out on the reception. I have the same screen bleed-thru at the bottom of the screen.

I'm going to check out the phone over the next week or two. If reception is improved, I'll keep it. If not then I'm back to my Centro until a new and improved PRE is released.
  3.    #3  
    Don't get your hopes up, as there will not be a major hardware upgrade/improvement. This is true with all phones that have had issues in the past. If the manufacturer actually admits there is a wide-scale issue, they would have to recall their phones. It's easier/cheaper to deny the problem, and when people persist, replace their devices or give them their money back. Chances are, whatever reception problems you are having will not be fixed by a hardware update---more likely a software change instead.

The Pre is about 95% of what it will be by EOL. Don't expect a huge change. I am not even fully-expecting the EAS PIN update, myself. I don't want my hopes shot down.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    Don't get your hopes up, as there will not be a major hardware upgrade/improvement. This is true with all phones that have had issues in the past. If the manufacturer actually admits there is a wide-scale issue, they would have to recall their phones. It's easier/cheaper to deny the problem, and when people persist, replace their devices or give them their money back. Chances are, whatever reception problems you are having will not be fixed by a hardware update---more likely a software change instead.

The Pre is about 95% of what it will be by EOL. Don't expect a huge change. I am not even fully-expecting the EAS PIN update, myself. I don't want my hopes shot down.
    Exactly. Palm/Sprint won't make much more $ by making the Pre 100% finished per all the suggestions made here. They will make more $ by investing that time in putting those fixes into future devices.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    Exactly. Palm/Sprint won't make much more $ by making the Pre 100% finished per all the suggestions made here. They will make more $ by investing that time in putting those fixes into future devices.
    Possibly, but they could potentially not even give us what we want in the next phone release. Palm has to make money, and they have taken a lot of hints from Apple, so who knows. Apple is known for nickel-and-diming their customers, but I really hope it doesn't go that way for us.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    I went in because my screen had splotches, it got really hot, the USB door would not sit flush, the plastic at the bottom of the keyboard was totally disfigured from the slider being too hard to open, and a whole slew of other problems.

Well, I just spent the last few hours re-rooting the Pre, while charging on the Touchstone, for the most part. The Pre feels very cool to the touch, and I have no signs of splotches or color change.

Came loaded with:
    WebOS 1.03
    Sprint 1.5
    network firmware is CC1.1(90)
    PRL 60652

I guess I was technically after my 30-day timeframe, but they did it anyways. Really glad I went in! I just figured I'd give those who are having issues, some hope...

They had told me that there were waiting lists and they finally got the new stock in... Guess it's a newer build date.

Just a note, you can still see a tiny bit of bleed-thru on the bottom of the LCD, where it appears to get a bit wavy. This is not the splotches that most refer to. This is almost totally invisible, while my other phone had big circles of discoloration.
    What is your Warranty date code (enter at phone key pad ##786#)
  7.    #7  
    06/26/2009