Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    I have seen lots of comments about poor PIM functionality and wondered whether these are documented anywhere on this forum as PIM functionality is very important to me. I am an Excahnge/Windows mobile user and love the features so understanding what is available is important for me.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by as147 View Post
    I have seen lots of comments about poor PIM functionality and wondered whether these are documented anywhere on this forum as PIM functionality is very important to me. I am an Excahnge/Windows mobile user and love the features so understanding what is available is important for me.

Thanks
    You probably need to be a little more specific on exactly what you are looking for.
    The Pre does the basics, but not as complete as the previous Palm devices, especially those that used Datebook, a popular addon for PalmOS devices.
    I think there are lots of posts about this, but you're going to have to use the search and dig some.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    You probably need to be a little more specific on exactly what you are looking for.
    The Pre does the basics, but not as complete as the previous Palm devices, especially those that used Datebook, a popular addon for PalmOS devices.
    Thats the problem, as I am in Australia I don't currently have access to the Pre

The postings on this website are not clear but they keep mentioning "poor PIM functionality"

I am looking for good calendar/appointment integration with Exchange and am currently a Windows Mobile phone user. I don't expect as deep integration as an end to end windoze mobile solution but expect some key functions to be available.

For example, to be able to book and create meetings in the PRE and add local phone and global address list contacts (by searing the GAL over the air). To be able to see attendees acceptances for a meeting. To forward meetings from the PRE.....

It's a bit difficult to identify them all as I take them for granted....
    Thats the problem, as I am in Australia I don't currently have access to the Pre

The postings on this website are not clear but they keep mentioning "poor PIM functionality"

I am looking for good calendar/appointment integration with Exchange and am currently a Windows Mobile phone user. I don't expect as deep integration as an end to end windoze mobile solution but expect some key functions to be available.

For example, to be able to book and create meetings in the PRE and add local phone and global address list contacts (by searing the GAL over the air). To be able to see attendees acceptances for a meeting. To forward meetings from the PRE.....

It's a bit difficult to identify them all as I take them for granted....
    Sorry, but the things you just listed are going to be a problem.

You can't invite attendees to meetings from the Pre. I've not found a way to create groups either.
    I'm sure I'll discover something else over time, but at this point the only limitation that has had any practical affect on me is not being able to search emails.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    I am going to have to search the forums for "PIM" "Outlook" "Calendar" "Contacts" etc till I find out what the limitations are :-(
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    First thing, if your Exchange administrators have any mind for security the Pre probably won't work in your environment. It currently cannot sync with an Exchange server that requires PIN locking and remote wiping.
    1. Why did they leave out Categories
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aglide View Post
    First thing, if your Exchange administrators have any mind for security the Pre probably won't work in your environment. It currently cannot sync with an Exchange server that requires PIN locking and remote wiping.
    This may be surprising to you perhaps but most outside of the US do not enforce that policy. My suspicion is that as the mobile market expands the demand from users to connect their phone (whatever it is) to Exchange will grow. This is one of the reasons MS licensed Activesync. In turn this will probably reduce or curtail the prevalence of these settings.

However if Apple have instituted support for these settings (have they??) then Palm will do so also. They already enabled EAS configurations regarding SSL in the first OS release so I think it is important to them.
    This may be surprising to you perhaps but most outside of the US do not enforce that policy. My suspicion is that as the mobile market expands the demand from users to connect their phone (whatever it is) to Exchange will grow. This is one of the reasons MS licensed Activesync. In turn this will probably reduce or curtail the prevalence of these settings.

However if Apple have instituted support for these settings (have they??) then Palm will do so also. They already enabled EAS configurations regarding SSL in the first OS release so I think it is important to them.
    I agree and disagree. The fact is that most companies do not institute these policies, even stateside; however, I feel that trend will be towards enforcing them, rather than away.

The advanced security features in EAS is a move towards tighter security on MS's part, trying to keep up with BB. I believe as smartphones become more popular, there will be a greater need to control what they can do in a corporate environment. That's the strength of BB, and that's why it's still so popular in the corporate environment.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    The difference between a Blackberry solution and the Windows Mobile one and other devices is that many more non BB phones are purchased in the retail space. This means that users who purchase their own phones and connect them to the corporate network will not be as willing to accept multiple control mechanisms on their personal device (rightly or wrongly).

Whereas a corporate purchased BB will usually be provided and it will comes with a set of rules that the user accepts (the phone is free after all).

Our organisation has an even split of corporate purchased and personal purchased phones. We find it difficult to mandate more controls on either as they are already out there. Also as the price of the smart phones drops it becomes more likely that there will be less and less corporate provided phones as we can only supply and FULLY support a small range and choice of PDA's. It is not economical to support a very wide range of devices.

Also financially we would prefer it if the user purchased their own phone because as adoption grows purchasing phones for our employees becomes more and more costly.

This in my mind is an precursor to bring your own laptop initiatives that we are looking at. It certainly makes sense for us to reduce our $4m+ investment in laptops by getting users to purchase their own devices. We would then provide them a vendor who performs break/fix services and we would provide a virtualisation layer in which we can install our applications and the users can gain access to our network via the virtual layer which is fully protected (AV etc).

This allows users to use their personal apps and personal choice of PC (again we only supply one or two types where most users want their own i.e. netbook) and can still run corporate apps in a safe and controlled manner

Unfortunately this environment separation . virtualisation isn't yet a reality in PDA's
    Wow, a thread that's veering off-topic, but in a positive way rather than a negative. What a quandry - do we continue the slightly off topic discussion, or do we abandon one of the few (recent) positive threads on the forum?

I think I'll continue slightly off topic

While I agree about the quandry about personal vs corporate devices, and the control of the same, there is another issue. Many organizations (and the larger the organization, the more likely they are to have this issue) consider email, calender, and most importantly, the corporate contact list to all be intellectual property belonging to the company that requires protection.

As noted before in other threads, the smartphone has had a relatively small footprint in the corporate world. This is beginning to change. As devices get cheaper, and more powerful, and more popular, the quandry over this will become greater -

It's my phone, I should be able to do what I want with it
    Yes, but it's our data that you want on your phone, and we will only allow that under these circumstances

Personally, I believe that we will see a wide gamut of responses - all the way from "We're not going to bother with silly requirements" to "if you want our corporate messaging system, we will dictate what software you can have on the device, and what security features", and everything in between.

In short, I think you'll continue to see MS play catch up to BES to be able to cover the whole gamut of the various scenarios.

The good thing about that (and it's a new shift from what MS has seemed to do in the past) is that they've licensed EAS to other vendors, so we will see other messaging systems besides Exchange be able to live in that highly controlled market. For instance, I know that Novell is working on a system that will incorporate EAS for their GroupWise system. That will enable GW to run not only on the more popular iPhone (opening up a whole new market for both), but our nice shiny new Palm Pres.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    I suppose time will tell but I agree the capability will exist its just how many will implement stricter controls.