Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    I am still reading this but I encourage you to look at and if possible comment on this detailed functional breakdown (i.e. are the updates to the PRE that mean some of the comments should be challenged?)

Deathmatch: Palm Pre Vs. IPhone - CIO.com - Business Technology Leadership

Being a CIO article I think it is an important review.

Also this article states that
    But with iPhone OS 3.0, the playing field has changed. First, iPhone OS 3.0 allows iPhone and iPod Touch users to initiate calendar invites, which the Pre canít do.

Is this true???

This article also nicely lists the main issues (as the cio mag sees it) with the PRE - PALM TAKE NOTE !!

Fixing software issues (some which appear simple to fix) will greatly engender the business community
    Last edited by as147; 07/06/2009 at 11:57 AM.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Just finished reading it and I spotted two significant comments

The overall winner is ... The Pre is a surprisingly strong competitor to the groundbreaking iPhone.

The iPhone is a better device for business users, especially those in enterprise environments. Its ability to send calendar invites is one of those little things that make all the difference when you’re doing business on the road. And the iPhone has a bunch of better-thought-out capabilities. Plus, its management and security capabilities are much stronger than the Pre’s if you use the free iPhone Configuration Utility.
    Last edited by as147; 07/06/2009 at 11:58 AM.
    Nothing wrong with this. Nothing wrong with recognizing the Pre's potential to do more and soon. Palm does need to deal with management and security if they want business customers. If they want them to use the Pro, that's fine too. Calendar invites will come, not worried about that.
    Just started reading (what is that thing, like 527 pages?!?), and noticed this:

And although you can search for e-mail in the Pre’s e-mail app (which the iPhone 2.0 OS could not do)...

Not yet, but I'm sure looking forward to email search...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Just started reading (what is that thing, like 527 pages?!?), and noticed this:

And although you can search for e-mail in the Preís e-mail app (which the iPhone 2.0 OS could not do)...

Not yet, but I'm sure looking forward to email search...
    It is a detaled review and I prefer it rather than the standard repeat of what the PRE is and a few often repeated comments. Thease folks have obviously used both phones for a while and put some effort into this.

Comment to earlier poster: I agree calling out limitations is good as it focuses attention on improvements. Nothing wrong with that I am just learning as much as I can about the PRE
    Ugh. Compared iPhone to Mac OS/X (makes sense) and Palm Pre to Windows 7 (WHAT!) Ubuntu 9.04 maybe. Windows 7, never...
    I read this earlier today too. I thought it was pretty good. The thing that struck me was that most of the issues with the Pre should be very fixable with software updates, like in the near future.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    The key word is "should." That doesn't mean they will be. I'm afraid that a lot of the things I consider critical Palm won't. I need robust PIM apps, especially calendar. Many others have complained about the tasks app. I'm not at all convinced we'll see Palm update these to the capabilities of their equivilents on the Palm OS Treo, or even WM. Palm's going for consumers with this phone, like Apple. And a lack of really robust calendars and task apps haven't held the iPhone back.

I also wouldn't count on these software fixes in the "near" future. There are a heck of a lot of things that need to be fixed and added, and coding and testing those things takes real time and effort.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    To me, the big obvious omission is a discussion on Synergy -- in calendar, mail and contacts. They don't even mention having all your Google, Facebook, Outlook and Palm contacts in one place linked together... etc.
    ~Pam
    Quote Originally Posted by PWSammy View Post
    To me, the big obvious omission is a discussion on Synergy -- in calendar, mail and contacts. They don't even mention having all your Google, Facebook, Outlook and Palm contacts in one place linked together... etc.
    Well considering the iphone syncs with google calendar and contacts through exchange pretty much in a similar fashion I'd call it moot.
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Ugh. Compared iPhone to Mac OS/X (makes sense) and Palm Pre to Windows 7 (WHAT!) Ubuntu 9.04 maybe. Windows 7, never...
    I'd rather they compare the Pre to Win 7 than Ubuntu. Many more applications written for Windows than Ubuntu, many millions more systems running it, and I'd run Win 7 over Ubuntu any day of the week. And very glad they didn't compare to OS X, with its bothersome Apple limitations, limited market share, etc., etc.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I read this earlier today too. I thought it was pretty good. The thing that struck me was that most of the issues with the Pre should be very fixable with software updates, like in the near future.
    I suspect the same can be said of the iPhone. I hear that version 3.0 is being updated with 3.1 as there are stability/power issues emerging.

Good to see Apple serve the customers as well as Palm now seem to be doing. Big win for all customers when the vendors actually listen to their customers. I remember the day when you spoke to a corporate brick wall - social networking and the internet at it's best !
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    The key word is "should." That doesn't mean they will be. I'm afraid that a lot of the things I consider critical Palm won't. I need robust PIM apps, especially calendar. Many others have complained about the tasks app. I'm not at all convinced we'll see Palm update these to the capabilities of their equivilents on the Palm OS Treo, or even WM. Palm's going for consumers with this phone, like Apple. And a lack of really robust calendars and task apps haven't held the iPhone back.

I also wouldn't count on these software fixes in the "near" future. There are a heck of a lot of things that need to be fixed and added, and coding and testing those things takes real time and effort.
    The beautiful thing is, it doesn't matter what Palm thinks is critical. Anyone can make an app.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Pretty good article, although I noticed this critique here:

What really frustrated me on the Pre was its Launcher, where your apps reside. By default, it’s one screen that you scroll through vertically. But that screen shows only some of your apps; the rest are hidden on additional “pages” that you have to scroll to horizontally. But you can’t scroll to them until you move this little slider icon at the bottom right of the Launcher. Who would figure that out? Making you scroll vertically implies one long page, ŗ la a Web page; the hidden horizontal control is hugely unintuitive. The fact that you can’t launch apps from the Launcher’s list view also mystified me.
    To me the launcher was pretty intuitive, and I'm not sure if this reviewer was aware, but I can swipe anywhere on the launcher screen to get to the next page, instead of just at the "slider icon."

I do think it's fair to say that both horizontal and vertical control makes for a slightly less "initial" intuitive experience, but it's easily learned, and much appreciated. I have a page for my go-to apps (with no vertical scrolling), a long list of everything else, and then the last page for system/utilities/config. I'm happy with this arrangement
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post

I think your comment that Palm is "going for consumers with this product" may not be entirely correct. They may be focussing on this group more at the moment because enterprises are harder to affect but it is clear to me from their comments that there is enough space in the whole market for a Palm. I take that as meaning both corporate and consumer. If this was a pure play consumer device they probably wouldn't have bothered with a keyboard or making their first OS update fix many Exchange Active Sync issues (i.e. SSL).

I think Windows Mobile and Blackberry have something to fear from the PRE and I think all three companies know this.