Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Okay, love my Pre, but this is driving me crazy. I must be overlooking something simple.

I have a touchstone at my bedside, so I can just drop it on as I go to bed. The only problem with that; on the Touchstone, the &#%(&(#&% back-light stays on constantly showing the time and lighting up my bedroom. So I shut it off by holding down the power button and clicking "Turn Off". Problem solved, right?

Well, randomly throughout the night it just turns back on for no apparent reason. I figured maybe it was getting alerted from emails or whatnot, so I set it in Airplane Mode and turned off the ringer.

No love; the silly thing STILL turns on all by itself in the middle of the night.

I'm theorizing that it turns itself back on when the battery gets to 100%? But I'm not sure.

All that said, does anybody know how to make the screen not turn on at night without taking out the battery?

Thanks!
    Right now your only option is to not use the TouchStone and plug the micro USB directly into the Pre.

Oh, and search before posting: http://forums.precentral.net/hardwar...ouchstone.html
    Last edited by NachoB; 07/06/2009 at 11:18 AM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Using the TS turns on the Pre. Don't know if it happens on purpose or a software flaw. If it is a flaw I'm sure they will fix it but if it is on purpose I'm curious as to why. Maybe the phone needs to be on to use the induction charging?
    Fairly certain it was done by design to provide a 'night light' / 'clock' at your bed side. Plus if using a touch stone at work it shows notifications at a glance (given you don't turn them off in the lock options) which can be nice.

But I totally agree you should have the option to toggle it on or off per your own preference. As for why it would turn itself on all by itself in the middle of the night that does seem rather bizarre! But you most likely are right that it reaches a full charge and just thinks it should turn on.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Right now your only option is to not use the TouchStone and plug the micro USB directly into the Pre.

Oh, and search before posting: http://forums.precentral.net/hardwar...ouchstone.html
    For the record, I did search, NachoB. Apparently not using the right combination of keywords.

Thanks
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    The Pre turns on when using the TS. However, I turn off my ringer at night otherwise it will ding for some unknown reason at least a few times during the night. I am guessing that it must quit charging when full, but when the charges drops a bit it will start charing again and make the dinging sound.
    To each his/her own... but... Why would you use the TS next to your bed? Seems like a big waste of money. Use the TS where you can take advantage of its productivity and design, like a desk or table; next to your seat on the couch or near your desktop/laptop.

Do you really need to prop up your Pre on the TS while you're sleeping?
    I had the same problem, I just sit the case it came with on top of the screen and it blacks it out completely. probably not exactly the solution u are looking for but it works.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ejohnnyk View Post
    To each his/her own... but... Why would you use the TS next to your bed? Seems like a big waste of money. Use the TS where you can take advantage of its productivity and design, like a desk or table; next to your seat on the couch or near your desktop/laptop.

• The best time to charge my phone is while I'm sleeping.
    • The easiest way to charge the Pre is with the touchstone.
    • I could fiddle with that tiny door and plug in a usb cable, but why when I can just drop it on the touchstone?
    I use my pre as an alarm clock now thanks to the touchstone. I kinda like that it leaves it on, it'd be nice if there was an option in the software to choose on or off. Mine doesn't ding at night unless I actually get a message. If yours is dinging either your charger isn't supplying enough power to the touchstone or it isn't on teh stochstone as well as it should be.

The backlight is definitely not lighting up in my room it goes to a very low setting when on the touchstone. It's a black screen with just the time on.
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ejohnnyk View Post

We all have 2 sets from Best Buy!
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by donatom3 View Post
    I use my pre as an alarm clock now thanks to the touchstone. I kinda like that it leaves it on, it'd be nice if there was an option in the software to choose on or off. Mine doesn't ding at night unless I actually get a message. If yours is dinging either your charger isn't supplying enough power to the touchstone or it isn't on teh stochstone as well as it should be.

The backlight is definitely not lighting up in my room it goes to a very low setting when on the touchstone. It's a black screen with just the time on.
    Yeah, that's just it. Mine doesn't have a black screen with just the time on. It stays bright enough to read by. Does the light level "throttle down" after a certain amount of time? Maybe I'm not waiting long enough.
    Just toss a microcloth over it at night. I use a coaster. ii
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Well, thanks for letting me know that about the Touchstone. I've been hemming and hawing and trying to rationalize why I should get one, but this settles it. As it is I have to place my phone face down on a coaster on my bedside table because I don't want to see the screen light up when I receive an email and the coaster muffles the buzz.
    Quote Originally Posted by donatom3 View Post

I'm with you. When I had my TS on the nighstand (it's now in my truck) I had an instant alarm clock. I just click it to silent mode so it doesn't bug me at night.

I don't get how it could light up a whole room with just text on a black screen unless you're sleeping in a shoe box.

I would agree with donatom3, you're probably losing juice at night somehow and it's making the dings as it goes on and off power, not from being full charge.
    I've had this same issue. The Treo had all sorts of options for turning off all sounds or notifications based on the time of day. I'm hoping Palm will build this into an update or a 3rd party (hopefully free) solution will be available soon.

Until then, I put it on the touchstone and cover it with the little slip-case it came with to block the light.
    Mine lights up my entire bedroom.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    INTRODUCING THE NEW TOUCHSTONE(R) DRAPE(TM) $29.99

Seriously? I just put a hat or baseball cap over it if it were too bright.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by uptempo777 View Post
    Pretty sure it was a joke.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by uptempo777 View Post

This is actually what my wife did to mine. She thought it was too bright.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast