Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    After seeing the Touchstone car mounts, I was intrigued of how the Pre stuck to the mount using magnetism. I wanted to do the same thing in my car, just without the Touchstone charger.

That's where I got the idea for this:

Basically, you just tape rare earth magnets to the inside of the back cover. Then, add some magnets to your dash and you get:

Full article and more pics here: How to Magnetize Your Phone with Rare Earth Magnets
    Interesting....any issues with these strong magnets effecting touchstone charging adversely? Sounds like a quick way to erase my bank cards :-)
    Ahahaha, Pre on the fridge.
    Should have let the pre be on the memo app when on the fridge
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    huh, cool idea. How secure is it? Likely to fall of if you hit a big bump in the car?
    Interesting idea... although the thing I love most about my TS mount is the charging
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    Yes!! Fellow CF (CentraFuse) user here!
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    I just wouldn't trust a magnetic mount in a car. I hit the breaks and little Tammy in the backseat gets a mouth full of Pre
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Interesting....any issues with these strong magnets effecting touchstone charging adversely? Sounds like a quick way to erase my bank cards :-)
    Dunno, don't have a Touchstone, but I can say that my credit cards still work ;P

Quote Originally Posted by stubbs View Post
    huh, cool idea. How secure is it? Likely to fall of if you hit a big bump in the car?
    No, it's pretty sturdy. Rare earth magnets are extremely strong.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyBeeb View Post
    Interesting idea... although the thing I love most about my TS mount is the charging
    Hehe, I like that part the most about the Touchstone as well, but I didn't like the $70 price tag.

Quote Originally Posted by Habious View Post
    Yes!! Fellow CF (CentraFuse) user here!
    Ha! I knew at least one other person had to know what that was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikest View Post
    I just wouldn't trust a magnetic mount in a car. I hit the breaks and little Tammy in the backseat gets a mouth full of Pre
    Well, when you break, things go flying forward. As long as little Tammy is securely fastened, she shouldn't taste any Pre. If you get rear-ended, though, all bets are off.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Well, when you break, things go flying forward. As long as little Tammy is securely fastened, she shouldn't taste any Pre. If you get rear-ended, though, all bets are off.
    and Im realizing I should of spelled that brakes, but yeah I'd just be worried about the phone hitting someone else in the car or getting damaged itself if it fell off.
    If its a strong magnet, wouldn't it be bad for the Screen?
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    A CRT screen. It should be OK on the LCD.

I'd be more worried about it falling off during a speed bump or a sudden stop.
    Nobody who is using their Touchstone in their cars has said anything about the Pre falling off (that I'm aware of). Of course, this could be an issue in an accident, but I'm thinking even spirited driving would be pretty unlikely to dislodge it. The Touchstone can hold the Pre easily upside down, and there is also some friction between the back and the Touchstone.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Nice idea! I can see applications for holsters that you wear.

I agree that the best thing about the Touchstone in your car is the charging.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Nobody who is using their Touchstone in their cars has said anything about the Pre falling off (that I'm aware of). Of course, this could be an issue in an accident, but I'm thinking even spirited driving would be pretty unlikely to dislodge it. The Touchstone can hold the Pre easily upside down, and there is also some friction between the back and the Touchstone.
    My pre will fall off the touchstone only if i go over railroad tracks (which is daily a few blocks from my house). Of course my car doesn't have the smoothest ride, I did to get the 'ol suspension looked at. But other than that, the TS has been solid as a rock.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyBeeb View Post
    My pre will fall off the touchstone only if i go over railroad tracks (which is daily a few blocks from my house). Of course my car doesn't have the smoothest ride, I did to get the 'ol suspension looked at. But other than that, the TS has been solid as a rock.
    Interesting! Thanks for the correction. How vertical is your pre when sitting on the Touchstone?
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Nice idea! I can see applications for holsters that you wear.

I agree that the best thing about the Touchstone in your car is the charging.
    Ohhhhhh yes, great idea!

I'm off to find a holster that I can mod and attach these magnets to. Then, it would be a magnetic holster, with nothing to clip onto or anything like that.

It would also look like the phone's floating on my hip. Should look absolutely sick.
    Last edited by prochobo; 07/06/2009 at 04:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Yeah, option A (prior to the TS mount) was my phone sitting on the center console or in a cup holder. It's no more or less a missle now as it was then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikest View Post
    Unless your traveling in reverse when you slam the breaks, the forward inertia of the car (and Pre) would throw the pre forward, not into the back seat.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast