Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikest View Post
    I just wouldn't trust a magnetic mount in a car. I hit the breaks and little Tammy in the backseat gets a mouth full of Pre
    Not exactly, consider this: When you hit the brakes, what are the results? The forward motion you were traveling at is getting reduced. What pressure is the vehicle and all contents experiencing? Pressure from the brakes to slow down forward motion, thus everything has additional pressure towards the front of the vehicle. Little Tammy in the back seat is pulled gently forward against her safety belt. Your Pre hanging on the Touchstone has more pressure on the Touchstone while you are braking.

I've got a touchstone on my dash, and honestly the only time my Pre has fallen off of the Touchstone is when I've physically bumped it with my arm reaching for the glovebox.

Speed bumps, turns, and braking have no effect on it. It stays there hanging vertically or horizontally until I physically remove it myself.
    The problem comes in if you get rear-ended. People can get very serious injuries by items not secured. One of the worst is GPS units on the dash and I assume this would be just as bad. Imaging getting beamed in the head by one of these things at 25-50MPH possibly faster.

The point? If you HAVE to mount it on the dash do it as low as possible so that at least when it goes flying it wont hit you in the head.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post

I've got a touchstone on my dash, and honestly the only time my Pre has fallen off of the Touchstone is when I've physically bumped it with my arm reaching for the glovebox.

Speed bumps, turns, and braking have no effect on it. It stays there hanging vertically or horizontally until I physically remove it myself.
    Same here; knocked it off once accidentally while reaching for the AC controls.

And as far as projectiles in an accident, that pretty much applies to anything in the car. My phone used to just sit loose in a number of different places, at least now it has to break the magnetic bond before it gets moving.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    And it keeps change from jingling inside your pocket too.
    cool, thanks for the idea
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    And it keeps change from jingling inside your pocket too.
    I don't think magnetism attracts coins.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Very cool. just don't put it too close to a standard computer hard drive...
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by areinus View Post
    Very cool. just don't put it too close to a standard computer hard drive...
    Not really. Standard hard drives have magnets way stronger than the ones I used. I've had a 50lb subwoofer motor (pretty much a giant magnet) next to a PC and nothing bad came of that.

See #50: K&J Magnetics - Frequently Asked Questions - FAQ

The only thing I would watch out for are CRT monitors/TVs. Good thing those are a thing of the past.
    I am planning on doing the same thing, but I am going to take it a step further and make it into a belt clip. Just ordered some rare earth magnets and a metal belt clip. I am going to glue one or two of the earth magenets to the metal belt clip and have two in the back plate. They are N42 strength magnetics so hopefully they will hold good. It cost a total of $15 so not a big investment if it does not work.

On a side note, it would be cool if someone made a belt clip that was not a case, but just a back plate of the phone. You would just replace the back plate and you would have a very secure belt clip... no extra bulk to worry about. Just an idea.

Jacob
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    What type/shape of REM did you use and what kind/by what means did you attach the magnets to your dash.

As for a holster - I don't think that would be a good idea even if it would look cool...if you hit the Pre from the backside it would break loose and likely kiss the floor... definitely, not cool.
    cool gonna try it now
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by jtiis View Post
    What type/shape of REM did you use and what kind/by what means did you attach the magnets to your dash.

As for a holster - I don't think that would be a good idea even if it would look cool...if you hit the Pre from the backside it would break loose and likely kiss the floor... definitely, not cool.
    I used the same 1/2" magnets that I used in the phone. Stacked a few on top of each other and duct taped em behind the dash, which was a major pain in the ***.

You're right about the holster, but that's if you use the weaker, smaller magnets. Stronger magnets shouldn't have a problem, but I can see a strong magnet on a belt clip ripping the DIY magnet back cover off of the Pre with its sheer pulling force.

Also, I finally got to try a Touchstone at the Sprint store. These rare earth magnets are many times stronger than the Touchstone!

This multitool is at least 3x heavier than the Pre:
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Now we're talkin'! I'm gonna mount my Pre behind the dash and magnetize my Victorinox. You never know when you'll need a leather punch!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikest View Post
    I just wouldn't trust a magnetic mount in a car. I hit the breaks and little Tammy in the backseat gets a mouth full of Pre
    ... actually hit the brakes and it would go forward gas would be backwards
    treo 650 > treo 700w > treo 800 > palm pre > evo 4g > 3vo

galaxy tab 7
    htc evo view
    Quote Originally Posted by zelet View Post
    The problem comes in if you get rear-ended. People can get very serious injuries by items not secured. One of the worst is GPS units on the dash and I assume this would be just as bad. Imaging getting beamed in the head by one of these things at 25-50MPH possibly faster.

The point? If you HAVE to mount it on the dash do it as low as possible so that at least when it goes flying it wont hit you in the head.
    I just wear my hockey helmet while driving I get a 5% discount on my car insurance
    treo 650 > treo 700w > treo 800 > palm pre > evo 4g > 3vo

galaxy tab 7
    htc evo view
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12