Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    I thought it might be cool to hear how people are using their Pre's in everyday use. Of course many use the phone, email, and general browsing, but I'm interested in hearing about things that might not be typical use.

For me, I'm currently looking for a house for my mother-in-law who is out of the state and is going to be retiring here.

Using Google Maps makes it easy to look up a house location. If we find a house not on our list, we can simply use the Web Browser to log onto a reality site to look up details.

Of course the phone comes in handy to call the Realtor.

The camera is used to snap photo's for later reference.

When I'm not looking for a house, the various weather sites come in handy for looking up weather conditions and radar for going fishing. I can also access various web cam sites for getting pictures of the lakes to determine wave height and wind direction.

How about you?
    Mike Dixon
    Software Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishous View Post
    For me, I'm currently looking for a house for my mother-in-law who is out of the state and is going to be retiring here.
    Cool. Could you use it to look up a house for my mother-in-law too? Although Michigan is a bit too close...
    I frequently use it to entertain my 2 year old daughter. Yesterday I was reading the book "Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What Do You See?" by Eric Carle to her, and she became very interested in the way the panda looked on the front cover, saying it had a silly nose. So I asked her if she wanted to see some real panda pictures.

I whipped out my Pre, slid open the keyboard and typed "Panda Bear." Then I hit the Wikipedia button, and got a very nicely formatted page about pandas, complete with pictures, which she was thrilled with. No videos, though. So I quickly popped up the launcher using the quick launch wave, and opened the YouTube app. Once YouTube was open, I typed Panda Bear again, and very quickly had tons of videos to show her, that looked fantastic. She really liked one where a mother panda is scared by her baby panda sneezing.

Fabulous.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I frequently use it to entertain my 2 year old daughter. Yesterday I was reading the book "Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What Do You See?" by Eric Carle to her, and she became very interested in the way the panda looked on the front cover, saying it had a silly nose. So I asked her if she wanted to see some real panda pictures.

I whipped out my Pre, slid open the keyboard and typed "Panda Bear." Then I hit the Wikipedia button, and got a very nicely formatted page about pandas, complete with pictures, which she was thrilled with. No videos, though. So I quickly popped up the launcher using the quick launch wave, and opened the YouTube app. Once YouTube was open, I typed Panda Bear again, and very quickly had tons of videos to show her, that looked fantastic. She really liked one where a mother panda is scared by her baby panda sneezing.

Fabulous.
    That's a good point that you bring up...maybe youtube should be added to the Universal search along with Wikipedia, Google Maps, and twitter (useless imo).
    Palm m100>Palm m130>Sony Clie>HP Jornada 525>Dell Axim X3i>Nokia 3395>Nokia 6630>Motorola i530>PPC 6700>Mogul (PPC-6800)

Palm Pre!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nismode View Post
    That's a good point that you bring up...maybe youtube should be added to the Universal search along with Wikipedia, Google Maps, and twitter (useless imo).
    That would be way cool. The more the merrier. But having the application just a few touches away helps a lot.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    I thought it might be cool to hear how people are using their Pre's in everyday use. Of course many use the phone, email, and general browsing, but I'm interested in hearing about things that might not be typical use.

Using Google Maps makes it easy to look up a house location. If we find a house not on our list, we can simply use the Web Browser to log onto a reality site to look up details.

When I'm not looking for a house, the various weather sites come in handy for looking up weather conditions and radar for going fishing. I can also access various web cam sites for getting pictures of the lakes to determine wave height and wind direction.

How about you?
    We are also looking for a house and the Pre definitely comes in handy. Also, if you have the geotag option enabled for your pictures, you can view the location of the pictures on a map (I use picasa).
    Any chance you fellas could help me find a house for my mother in law?

I was thinking Kazakhstan area maybe a Nice refugee retirement camp or something...
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    So far, the only thing mentioned that my Treo won't do is geotagging. Anyone have uses that the Pre uniquely supports, or supports much more readily than other smartphones?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nismode View Post
    +1 YouTube is like a video encyclopedia...
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    We are also looking for a house and the Pre definitely comes in handy. Also, if you have the geotag option enabled for your pictures, you can view the location of the pictures on a map (I use picasa).
    so is there away for the pre to define the photo's gs metadata as you take a photo or must one do it via picasa?
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    So far, the only thing mentioned that my Treo won't do is geotagging. Anyone have uses that the Pre uniquely supports, or supports much more readily than other smartphones?
    For me, it's not just about capabilities. Sure, there's almost nothing you can do on the Pre that you can't do on an iPhone, my old Treo or a WinMo device, but it's about HOW the device performs those tasks - the design of the OS.

My phone is a leash that gives me the freedom to get out from behind my computer and out of my office, yet still respond to the requirements of my job. The way the Pre allows me to smoothly transition between multiple tasks, and the way it deals with notifications is just brilliant. I don't have to run to my laptop or desktop nearly as much to get things done anymore.
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Today I used mine at the bank to log into my bank's website and look up something about my account that was taking the teller forever to do on her computer. I had to resist the urge to say "'scuse me while I whip this out!"

How about you?
    The house I'm renting was just foreclosed (surprise, surprise!) and so my wife and I spent the holiday weekend using the Pre for precisely these same things. I have to say, I can't imagine going through this process without the Pre--it's just so much easier to manage all of the information on-the-go with this remarkable device.

Some other smartphones may be able to do many of the same things, but the sheer ease of keeping multiple cards open and instantly accessible is simply the best experience I've ever had with a mobile device. Even if I didn't already love my Pre before this weekend, I certainly would now.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I need to look for a house for my mother-in-law. Let me know when Google Moon is running on the Pre. Or Google Mars. Thanks. BTW, I enjoy using the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by motor View Post
    so is there away for the pre to define the photo's gs metadata as you take a photo or must one do it via picasa?
    Open up "Location Services" on your Pre and turn on "Geotag Photos."

It's a pretty cool feature. We had a night out that took us to 4 stops all over town, when we looked at the pics the next day it showed a map next to them from where they were taken.

Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    The house I'm renting was just foreclosed (surprise, surprise!) and so my wife and I spent the holiday weekend using the Pre for precisely these same things. I have to say, I can't imagine going through this process without the Pre--it's just so much easier to manage all of the information on-the-go with this remarkable device.
    Not sure how good this site is (I'm not in the market) but try Zillow Real Estate Search & Values | Zillow iPhone & Mobile for looking up estimates for homes.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Not sure how good this site is (I'm not in the market) but try Zillow Real Estate Search & Values | Zillow iPhone & Mobile for looking up estimates for homes.
    Thanks for the link! Although, I just used my agent's site. I was getting up-to-date information while we were looking at properties and giving it to her. She was amazed.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    I use it for comparison shopping all the time. I've always used my camera phones to take pictures of things I'm looking at in stores, but now there's the added bonus of having the picture GEOcoded, so if I forget where I was when I took the pic I can just go bring up Google Maps and find it. Still haven't gotten tackled by any store employees yet for taking pictures in their store, but I'm sure it'll happen one day.
    Umm, I wish I had my Pre 14 months ago when we bought our house! I can see how helpful it wouldve been (moreso than my Treo 700p) by taking better pics, viewing MLS listings, and including more houses that we excluded due to cell reception (my Pre gets 2 more bars than my outgoing 700p in my house)!

My wife and I mainly use ours to sync grocery lists (via Evernote), calendars, and email accounts. Obviously, we use them for individual scheduling, on-the-go bill pay, entertainment (Pandora and streaming podcasts for me, stored music and youtube for her), and texting. My wife also uses the Sprint Navigation to get to some appts. And the Pre is coming in handy now that I have to look for another job! I can email resume's out on-demand and even apply online!