1.    #1  
    Question in Title...
    Yes.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    What is full duplex in the Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    What is full duplex in the Pre?
    I think he's means talking and hearing at the same time. Half duplex would mean either talking or hearing, but not both at the same time.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    I think he's means talking and hearing at the same time. Half duplex would mean either talking or hearing, but not both at the same time.
    Thanks... but is there any mobile phone that does not do this?
    Game over!
    I think all CDMA (code division multiple access) phones are:
    CDMA2000 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    No, not all CDMA phones have full-duplex speaker phones (meaning you can listen to the caller and talk at the same time). With half-duplex speaker phones, when they are talking, and you start talking at the same time, it cuts out and you hear a pause.
    Good question.

A phone using a push to talk technology. A satellite phone might. I know when I use Skype (voice over IP), if the person has their volume too high, I hear my voice repeated with a 1 second delay, so a half duplex mode might be preferable.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

I'm pretty sure it is. My old flipper phone definitely was not. When the person I talked to was speaking, then they couldn't hear me. But I don't seem to have that problem on the Pre.
    I'm glad to know there's an actual term for this. When I would use the Instinct's speaker phone, the other party could not hear me if the slightest background noise was happening. It sucked booty!
    Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    No, not all CDMA phones have full-duplex speaker phones (meaning you can listen to the caller and talk at the same time). With half-duplex speaker phones, when they are talking, and you start talking at the same time, it cuts out and you hear a pause.
    Well if the original poster meant just the speaker phone they should have narrowed it down a bit. They just asked if the Pre was.

Its possible it has some kind of audio ducking that cuts the speaker volume or mic volume down when you are talking. Otherwise you would never be able to interrupt anyone ever.
    Most Nextels...
    Interesting... is this a phone limitation or is it a service limitation?
    Phone
    So... phone manufacturers are actually re-packaging an outdated and irritating technology and pushing it as... push-to-talk? (like palandri mentioned above)
    Game over!
    So... phone manufacturers are actually re-packaging an outdated and irritating technology and pushing it as... push-to-talk? (like palandri mentioned above)
    Push to talk doesn't require you to dial the person and wait for them to pick up. It works like a walkie-talkie and I believe you can have groups so you can send to more than one person. Never really used it myself, but I can see how it would be useful.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    This phone is definatly Full Duplex... Put your headphones on and make a call.. the first thing you notice is that you can still hear everything through the earphones.. background noise, your own voice etc. Its great. I don't find myself yelling into my headset like on my old phone... I can hear the level of my own voice...

T
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    I always thought that most phones were full-duplex as far as the transmission and reception goes, but it was necessary to cut down to half-duplex when on speakerphone to prevent feedback. Think about it. . . your phone's microphone can easily pick up the speaker when on speakerphone, which would cause the person you are talking to to hear themselves as an echo. If that person also had a full-duplex speakerphone going: disaster.
    Quote Originally Posted by tprevett View Post
    This phone is definatly Full Duplex... Put your headphones on and make a call.. the first thing you notice is that you can still hear everything through the earphones.. background noise, your own voice etc. Its great. I don't find myself yelling into my headset like on my old phone... I can hear the level of my own voice...

T
    That's called a sidetone, not duplex. Sidetone is when you can hear your own voice in the speaker as you talk. Full duplex is while on speakerphone, you can interrupt the other party when they are talking.
  20.    #20  
    I meant on the speakerphone as well as... not on the speakerphone, thanks guys...