Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I just bought my Pre on July 4th. Sold out in most places but not Radioshack, they even had touchstones and everything.

Anyway after I made my profile and the mini tutorial in the beginning, and decided to try out the browser. Weird thing happened here, the browser kept opening a new card by itself! After it opened about 15 cards the phone stopped saying it was out of memory. So I got to swipe up about 15 cards, nothing but white on the cards.

Now I understand the phone gets hot when charging, every phone I've had gets hot when charging. The battery life in general was not horrible, probably equals the battery time on my 800w...I know that doesn't really say much.

When I watch youtube or do surfing or even apps, I noticed that the phone gets like REAL HOT. It's not the battery that gets hot, it's the section behind the keyboard. Is this a defective unit? I mean it gets real hot after watching 1 michael jackson youtube video. Does this happen to anyone else? In fact, ironically, while I was browsing precentral for this issue, from my phone, my phone is currently very warm while even browsing this site.

I've sacrificed a SERO plan with a 20% corp discount STACKED on top of that for this phone. Yes, a 24 dollar plan, and I end up with a phone that will burn me if I listen to more than 2 songs on pandora. Is this normal?

I'm not new to palm, I've had a 650, 700w, 755p, and an 800w. I've had heat problems with them before but nothing like this.

Now my phone is stuck in headset mode...

Yes I know, it's obviously my phone and defective, I have alot of reasons now for an exchange, but I am just so disappointed in this build quality. I have an iPod Touch, and when I heard the release of the palm, I had visions of an iphone like phone for sprint, or an ipod touch that worked for sprint with phone ability lol. The Pre COULD be good but this heat issue is ridiculous.

I'm not an Apple fanboi or anything like that but I am now contemplating the iPhone. My SERO plan is no longer valid, and the 450 minute plan on AT&T is the same price minutes and data wise. 20 dollar unlimited text? yes thats a ripoff, but there's a 5 dollar 1 time fee app that handles that.

What should I do? Any opinions? same experience?
    Its not normal there are alot of issues with the pre but not what you describe heat wise. Return it.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    I had the headset mode issue with my first pre. Just return it and get another. My replacement has been perfect.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Starting about 4 days ago I get the cards opening automatically. I've been trying to figure out what is triggering this as well. I'm giving up though and plan on going to sprint tomorrow and exchanging.
    I've experienced this heat as well. I have the 1.04 firmware. My friends gets hot, too. Treo Pro never go this hot. Not sure if it is hardware or how to fix it, but if it is software, hopefully a OTA fix will solve the problem.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Update: I've ran an experiment. It gets hot when watching youtube or browsing web only if I'm strictly using Sprints signal to do these things. I started running youtube and browsing with my wifi and the heat is not there. This makes me believe that the heat source is strictly from sprints radio or whatever you call it that processes it's cell signal.

I originally was worried that it was the new graphics chip. If i ran my apps strictly through wifi, there is no heat, if I run it through sprints signal...it burns.
    what's your signal strength like with Sprint? I am wondering if it's not full bars then the phone is working extra hard compared to phones with good sig.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    The signal strength is weird and inconsistant. I've had sprint for 5 years and I usually have full bars. Heck before this phone my 800w and my current centro have full bars. My Pre? 1 - 3 bars depending on its mood. Weird part is if I do anything phone or data related, it springs up to full bars. It's like the signal is weak when not in use but when it needs signal, it gets full bar. I can be at 1 bar in an area I KNOW is a full bar place and when I run the browser, BAM, it's full bars....
    May sound like a stupid question, but do you have Google calendar setup on the Pre. Also, does it heat up on long phone calls? My Centro did that but lasted 2 years.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    No google calendar setup...I don't think I even have it on my phone. Yes it does get hot during long calls, I think most my phones generally got hot during long calls. I don't think they got hot during youtube, then again, every phone I had previously didn't run youtube THIS good. I'd imagine using Sprint Navigation or google maps or anything that requires a steady cellphone signal to work would heat this baby up. I don't believe Pandora heated my phone up but Sprint TV definately did.
    I've noticed my Pre heats up considerably when I use the Sprint Navigation. I guess I can always attach it to my A/C Vent for cooling. LOL. Seriously, this phone is really beginning to dissappoint me. I had high hopes for it. I have had it for 1.5 weeks and I am worried that these Quality Control issues will leave me with a melted heap of cheap plastic. It heats up trying to get a signal while I was in a poor reception area. It heats up when using Navigation. I can't use voice actiavation dialing to avoid burning my hands (lol). Ugh!!
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    what's your signal strength like with Sprint? I am wondering if it's not full bars then the phone is working extra hard compared to phones with good sig.
    Good observation. I noticed mine got hotter when I had no bars, or when I was on the train, going through the tunnel. In retrospect, it seems less hot when I have full bars.

In my office, for example, both my friend and I's pre gets super hot, and the Sprint Signal is weak for whatever reason. They run really hot then.
    I have the heat below the keyboard as well, nothing else is really wrong with it besides the rest of the build quality. I am too lazy to take the invisibleshield to get a replacement and don't want to replace all the hacks I've done .
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    I just tried an extended navigation session in my car while charging. It nearly burned me. Literally. The back of the keyboard gets so hot that I can't touch it with the back of my hand for more than a second.

No, I don't have a defective unit and no, I'm not exchanging it. It's just poor design, plain and simple.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dabulls View Post
    Is this a defective unit? I mean it gets real hot after watching 1 michael jackson youtube video. Does this happen to anyone else?
    Heck no it doesn't happen to me. Anyone whose unit gets real hot after watching a Michael Jackson video obviously has a serious problem.

(sorry, I just couldn't resist... and a disclaimer: great artist and icon, unfortunate about what happened to him.)
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    I need advised I bought my pre about a week ago and while I noticed a little heat when charging I paid it no mind as all my phones get warm when charging a lil bit...Now I just had wi fi, blue tooth, and a voice call for roughly 30min I come back into my room where my pre is charging on my bed and its HOT! I think it is from me having all those radios runnign and charging it but idk should I be concerned and exchange within 30 days?