View Poll Results: Rate the launch from 1 to 5

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5: It was a very good launch. Only a few issues, big demand - much better than other launches

8 9.76%
  • 4: Overall very good. A few issues as expected but better than the average launches.

33 40.24%
  • 3: Pretty much the same as other smart phones. Some issues but it sold ok

21 25.61%
  • 2: They did a pretty poor job on this one. Not enough inventory and major issues.

12 14.63%
  • 1: Total disaster. Major problems, bungled launch. Much worse than other launches.

8 9.76%
  1.    #1  
    Here we are, 30 days from release. There have been some issues, as there have been with every release. But are these worse or better than other phone releases?

I think some perspective on how the first 30 days has gone would be pretty interesting. I would say probably a B+ or I guess a 4 out of 5.

The exchange support issues, reception problems, battery life and scattered hardware problems seem to be the worst of it. But the device is very easy to use and mostly works really well. Given the enormity of the undertaking I think they have done well. The initial iPhone and iPhone 3g certainly had similar problems including reception problems, battery life and Exchange issues (didn't even try that at first). Palm was much more ambitious feature wise than Apple was the first time around.

As far as the launch I would say it was pretty successful. Sure there was some confusion about Friday parties and premier customer sales and inventory levels that I think even confused Sprint. But all in all most would have to admit it is an awfully good start.

Anyway, that is my uneducated perspective. I would love to hear from veterans of the iPhone, Storm, G1 etc launches. The major phones in the past 3 years. What are your thoughts?

Please do not take this as an opportunity to bash the Pre or the iPhone or whatever. I'm trying to get an idea as to whether this has been a more or less successful launch compared to previous tries and compared to Palm and Sprint's expectations.
    Palms and more Palms till the 700p ruined it for me. Blackberry and now the Pre. Sprint customer since 1994! They had 1 tower in town.
    I'd give it a C or C-. From Palm's POV it is a decent soft launch and somewhat beta period while things ramp up, bugs get worked out and hopefully features get added.

For Sprint, IMO they got screwed. No SDK until end of summer and a fair bit of bugs and negative press means their exclusive period really doesn't do them much and lends points to verizon and AT&T's statement that they will get the device once the bugs are worked out and apps are available.
  3.    #3  
    Ardion,

I have to disagree with the "Sprint got screwed" comment. Apple's SDK came out a year after launch. The first iPhone had a ton of bugs and signal problems as well. And Verizon got the Storm. That was a true disaster.

If Sprint had committed more to Palm they could have had a longer exclusivity period. They got what they paid for: First dibs.
    Palms and more Palms till the 700p ruined it for me. Blackberry and now the Pre. Sprint customer since 1994! They had 1 tower in town.
    Verizon's storm was terrible no comparison but Verizon doesn't need to be saved.

As an original iphone user I can tell you the Pre has more issues that need to be addressed. Also the Pre competes with the iphone today not 2 years ago so if palm doesn't get the sdk out or if developers don't adopt the platform they don't have a year or two to work it out.

I don't care what other devices did when they were released and neither do most consumers they compete in the here and now and excuses don't net you sales.

So I disagree, sprint got screwed.
    Most die-hard tech enthusiasts see and report the faults of the phone which is why it looks pretty bad on this forum. Most people I have talked to which don't visit a tech website every hour have said positive things almost every time.
    One other thing in regards to Sprint gwtting screwed in addition to above is with all the supply constraints and on top of that defects they can't even advertise the product and market it properly. By the time things can get ramped up people will be in wait mode for devices on the other carriers.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I'd say B+. There was reasonable inventory available on launch day, design and mfg defects seem to be in the reasonable range. There have already been some updates and probably more to come. Sprint and Palm have put forth a reasonable amount of marketing. I was scared it would be worse but it seems to have gone fairly well.
    I second what you said Aridon. To compare the Pre to the 1st gen iPhone is asinine. Yes the 2g iPhone and the Palm Pre are/were the first gen device of its kind for Apple/Palm, but the original iPhone was release 2 years ago and is now on its third ittineration. The Pre is competing with devices released so far in 2009, not 2007.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    The single biggest problem is the hardware. If Palm had just made the phone more solid, there would be far less negativity. Likewise with the battery. It's amazing how they very obviously skimped on these features and expected not to be called out on them.
  10.    #10  
    Folks, you don't get the thread. This isn't an iPhone v Pre thread. You can make your arguments on this topic there. The question is in regards to the launch of a new phone. How did they do?

Frankly, I agree that the iPhone is better in a number of ways and I don't think buyers should consider the original iPhone as a competitor to the Pre. And I have corrected those who have tried to argue this in other threads.

This is a question about the launch. Are there more problems or less? Did they try to do too much and miss the mark somewhere? Or has this gone better than was reasonable to hope? The Pre coming out of the gate kills the first 30 days of the G1 or the Storm. And the iPhone had plenty of issues too. But maybe not as many as the Pre. I don't know.

Either way, if you "don't care what other devices did when they were released" then you missed the point of the thread. Sorry. That was the point.
    Manufacturing and QC issues. First, there are the defective components in numerous phones, and then the fact the defective phones went on sale.

Of course, we're not privy to component sourcing and who did what. But it's undeniable that the QC process was either very sparse, or was carried out by badly trained personnel. It's hard to say if problems were gradually being addressed, we'll know only in a few more weeks when all initial runs are sold.

But to just assume that this was a normal run? Even if you accept that today's phone manufacturing standards are horrible, then it's incumbent on you to increase QC before the devices find their way into stores. This was not done, it's not normal and it will end up very costly.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Quote Originally Posted by Homie View Post
    The Pre coming out of the gate kills the first 30 days of the G1 or the Storm. And the iPhone had plenty of issues too. But maybe not as many as the Pre. I don't know.
    I'm unclear about what you're trying to say here. The G1 did not have a single problem when it came out. T-Mobile had a first chaotic week with its 3G network that was launch concurrently with the G1. Now that's ambitious.

True, the G1 didn't sell as fast as the Pre and its software wasn't very polished, but although it was ugly, it was very well made and to this day suffers no hardware issues. That said, it was not a new device by any means, but the same prototype Google collaborated on with HTC for two years.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I just wish the build quality was better
    I'd say C+. The hardware and general usage of WebOS is really neat. Performance needs to be worked on, and with teh hardware that the pre has, I am pretty sure it will be.

Palm should have had the SDK out 3 months before the phone, so the app catalog would be full at launch. The fact that it's still not out yet should have someone at Palm fired.

I'm still iffy on if I'm keeping this phone. If I had more apps to judge it by, I'd be a lot easier. I'm still going on faith from Palm, as I've been using their products for years, most recently the Treo 680. That phone had far less behind it, and did quite well.

Worst case in Sprints mind, I stay a customer and jump ship to the Tour when it comes out. (I bought my phone on June 20th, so I still have time.)

I expect a lot from Palm, and I expect this phone to eventually deliver. If it doesn't, at worst case I'll buy an old 8830 from ebay and sell the pre in a few months.
    I think they got what they wanted. Loyalists only at the beginning. These early adopters were more willing to handle the ups and downs of a v1 device. Wait 'til manufacturing shortage is done to launch ads.

Why do they think Pre converts watch Wimbledon? That's what I want to know?
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    I'm unclear about what you're trying to say here. The G1 did not have a single problem when it came out. T-Mobile had a first chaotic week with its 3G network that was launch concurrently with the G1. Now that's ambitious.

True, the G1 didn't sell as fast as the Pre and its software wasn't very polished, but although it was ugly, it was very well made and to this day suffers no hardware issues. That said, it was not a new device by any means, but the same prototype Google collaborated on with HTC for two years.
    Those are very good points. I guess what I was thinking in say in the Pre "kills" the G1 launch was two things:

1. The Pre is a more feature rich device. Palm tried to do way more software wise and hardware wise. There are many examples to cite and I think this makes the Pre more functional at launch.
    2. T-Mobile is a joke in much of the country. Here in the midwest their only 3G network is in downtown Chicago. That is changing eventually but it crippled the 3G G1 by giving it dial-up speeds.

I didn't buy one so I'm no expert on the G1 launch. But those are my impressions.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Its a goodPre 1.0 but I honestly think that they could have done a lot better. I would have rather gone throughseveral months af anxiety waiting for the perfecy phone.

Anyway, enough *****in. I kick myself in the *** for not waiting. Again, my wife proved that she was smarter than me. She made me wait in order to buy hers. She love her winmo HTC Touch.

Damn, I know that I said that I was done *****in but I just remembered. Copy & Paste function freaking SUCK!!!

Another feature that I don't know why they even bother to bragg about.
  18.    #18  
    Not bad.

So far half say better than average. And 75% say average or better.

There were definitely some bumps in the road with some hardware issues and battery life. Software 1.01 was pretty slow but that launch day update to 1.02 made a big difference. How long did Storm users suffer with their version of 1.01? It was at least as bad.

I can't wait so see the future updates. Now if they could just use software to make my battery a 1500 mha or something....