1.    #1  
    Like many of you, I love a lot of things about the Pre. However, there are a lot of things that I think could be improved upon. In this post, I would like to discuss the precision of the web browser.

What I mean by this:

For example, in Safari for Iphone, if I scroll down the web page, or tap to zoom, it zooms to the exact spot I want. If I click on a link, it almost always knows the exact link I am clicking on. I can almost use it with one hand on my Ipod Touch.

Similarly, with Opera Mini, I can use that one handed on my Treo Pro, and even though Opera Mini has its weaknesses, when scrolling and going through websites, it seems really precise moving back and fourth, despite it not being to handle Flash, and other types of websites.

Also, on opera mini, as with Safari, it seems to reformat the pages in a more accurate, speedy, and precise fashion. There is a webapp/site that I use on opera mini that I have to use buttons on, and in both Safari, and Opera mini, the button menu fits perfectly in the screen, as both browsers reformat it to fit the screen perfectly. With the WebOS browser, it seems that I constantly have to pinch and zoom everytime I hit a button, just to get it to fit perfectly on my screen, and tapping on it doesn't reformat it like it does on the iphone.

I am not saying the Pre's Web Browser is bad. I am saying it could be better.

How hard do you all think it would be to improve this through a OTA update?

Further, what hope do we have of a web browser like Opera Mini being ported to WebOS? I know OperaMini has its weakness, renders on the server side, but sometimes, it is a joy to surf with that because it is super speedy and easy to navigate.

Does anybody else find this to be a weakness or something that at least could be improved upon?
    It wouldn't be hard for them to improve browser functionality through updates. In fact they have already revised the code a bit in the last two updates. Best thing to do is leave Palm a suggestion of changes you want. They have a spot setup in their forums for this.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    agree
    I don't know, I'm not having that many issues with the browser TBO. I do have some scrolling issues, like if I was to scroll slowly, it will sometimes jerk around for no reason. Meh, growing pains I say... I'm looking for more features and optimizations really. I guess it's because my standards were so low when I was using my TouchPro Opera Browser, that really was not the best browsing experience. Slow pages, memory issues, no pinching and zooming (I know I know).

The only gripe I have about Opera Mini, was that it didn't support live javascript actions. If I had a timer countdown for Megauploads, I had no way of refreshing it without having to type in the bot detector letters and words all over again, then it was rinse and repeat. Plus I had to memorize the letters and words for and sometimes my memory is not 100%. Comparing it to Skyfire, which to me was really OKAY, and nothing mind blowing. Because all it did was do everything Opera Mini did, but streams the website to your phone as an interactive video.
    They're aware of this one. It may take awhile to address. Also, although the algorithms are software, the grid on the screen is hardware and may have limitations. First on the list is major bug fixes, then functionality that inhibits sales (or causes returns), then enhancements internally and then 3rd Party. This is probably a low priority.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    The iPhone has software that will increase the touch target zone of items it predicts you will touch. I know this is how the soft keyboard works. For example, if you type q, the letter u's target touch zone becomes bigger while the letters surrounding it smaller. Essentially, the phone's software predicts what are the possible next letters and increases their size so you are more likely to hit the correct key without having to focus on precision. The iPhone browser seems to behave this way with web links. When it picks up a link, it makes that target area bigger so you do not have to zoom in in order to click on it.

The Pre does not have this build in to its software at this time but definitely could via an update. When they come up with a soft keyboard I hope they implement this software technology.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    The iPhone has software that will increase the touch target zone of items it predicts you will touch. I know this is how the soft keyboard works. For example, if you type q, the letter u's target touch zone becomes bigger while the letters surrounding it smaller. Essentially, the phone's software predicts what are the possible next letters and increases their size so you are more likely to hit the correct key without having to focus on precision. The iPhone browser seems to behave this way with web links. When it picks up a link, it makes that target area bigger so you do not have to zoom in in order to click on it.

The Pre does not have this build in to its software at this time but definitely could via an update. When they come up with a soft keyboard I hope they implement this software technology.
    Quote Originally Posted by grovelgrovel3 View Post
    Like many of you, I love a lot of things about the Pre. However, there are a lot of things that I think could be improved upon. In this post, I would like to discuss the precision of the web browser.

What I mean by this:

For example, in Safari for Iphone, if I scroll down the web page, or tap to zoom, it zooms to the exact spot I want. If I click on a link, it almost always knows the exact link I am clicking on. I can almost use it with one hand on my Ipod Touch.

Similarly, with Opera Mini, I can use that one handed on my Treo Pro, and even though Opera Mini has its weaknesses, when scrolling and going through websites, it seems really precise moving back and fourth, despite it not being to handle Flash, and other types of websites.

Also, on opera mini, as with Safari, it seems to reformat the pages in a more accurate, speedy, and precise fashion. There is a webapp/site that I use on opera mini that I have to use buttons on, and in both Safari, and Opera mini, the button menu fits perfectly in the screen, as both browsers reformat it to fit the screen perfectly. With the WebOS browser, it seems that I constantly have to pinch and zoom everytime I hit a button, just to get it to fit perfectly on my screen, and tapping on it doesn't reformat it like it does on the iphone.

I am not saying the Pre's Web Browser is bad. I am saying it could be better.

How hard do you all think it would be to improve this through a OTA update?

Further, what hope do we have of a web browser like Opera Mini being ported to WebOS? I know OperaMini has its weakness, renders on the server side, but sometimes, it is a joy to surf with that because it is super speedy and easy to navigate.

Does anybody else find this to be a weakness or something that at least could be improved upon?
    Pre's browser also doesn't render some sites right, or at all, but work fine on ipod touch / iphone. Some of those sites include jdate.com (wont log in at all) finance.google.com (discussion groups render as blank screen) Tradeking.com (some of the features don't work when buying and selling). and it goes on. I'm sure in time these and other sites will work, but for someone who needs a device that works now, get an iPhone.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    This is not necessarily a problem in the Web browser, but rather a system-wide problem with the webOS. Apple's [likely patented] technology is simply more accurate at detecting exactly where you intended to touch. Like an above poster stated, the iPhone has what are called "touch target zones" for buttons, links, and other input items. I'd like to see what kind of patents Apple has on that.

Overall, I find the touch detection in the Pre to be OK.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by eddieck View Post
    This is not necessarily a problem in the Web browser, but rather a system-wide problem with the webOS. Apple's [likely patented] technology is simply more accurate at detecting exactly where you intended to touch. Like an above poster stated, the iPhone has what are called "touch target zones" for buttons, links, and other input items. I'd like to see what kind of patents Apple has on that.

Overall, I find the touch detection in the Pre to be OK.
    This makes sense. Like I said, the browser is not bad. It renders them nicely. But as far as actually interacting with the pages, it seems kind of a hassle. I suspect a lot of the users who get the pre wont mind at all, but for me, I prefer one handed use. Even though the Iphone still needs two hands a lot of times, it is a lot easier to one hand it because it auto detects what link I want or what zoom level I want. It guesses I suppose very well. Of course, a treo pro with opera mini is a cynch to one hand. In order to use the pre browser properly, I have to use two hands, to pinch and zoom in and out, which is annoying for me. Hopefully they solve this problem.

I also hope they come out with a webOS device that has something in the form of a treo pro form factor. I think that would be perfect for somebody like me, who preferes to one hand and having the exposed keyboard. Wouldnt mind a smaller screen.
    One thing I loved about the G1 when I had it was being able to use the trackball to select links. Would love to see some sort of optimization of the Pre's browser.
    Please fix the anchor links, thanks.
    Do not ignore the simple physics of the situation. The iPhone's screen is physically larger than the Palm pre's, but they have the same resolution. The links are physically smaller and therefore more difficult to tap on with the same level of accuracy.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    The imaging resolution of the screen is only part of the issue. There were early reports that the wire sensing grid on the iPhone is much finer than the grid on the Pre. If that's correct, the the Pre is physically incapable of resolving a touch as accurately as the iPhone. And the problem is likely exacerbated by the smaller buttons and links. Smart software can make up for this somewhat, I expect, but we'll have to see how much.

Like so many other things about the Pre, the potential is greater than the here and now. Only time will tell how Palm deals with these sorts of minor problems.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.