Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    While there's not much I miss from Verizon, there's one feature from my old enV that I've found myself missing. Verizon had a free song identification app that you could install. When in use, you would have the phone "listen" to a song playing out loud from some source. The phone would then automagically take the sound sample and come back with he name, artist, etc. While it was a way to encourage the sale of music and ringtone to the phone (which I never fell for), it was still useful for identfying songs I'd hear out in public, but couldn't figure out.

I haven't seen anything in Sprint to suggest a similar capability. Are there any apps out there to bring this ability to the Pre, or any kind of mobile oriented websites that can do this?
    I know theres an app on the iphone that does it. I think its called shazam if im not mistaken (which i very well could be). Im sure there will be one coming out sooner or later for the pre
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangmelish View Post
    I know theres an app on the iphone that does it. I think its called shazam if im not mistaken (which i very well could be). Im sure there will be one coming out sooner or later for the pre
    Shazam is also available for the G1, so I imagine it'lll be available for the Pre too. I believe it was free for the G1.
    Shazam IS free on the G1
    SCK Manager
    Shazam is also on WinMo. Although I believe the install I had on my Touch Pro stopped working after 30 days without a subscription.
    Can someone develop a Song ID App? Something like Gracenote or Shazam? Gracenote works better in my opinion but I'd take anything I can get. Anybody willing/able to develop an app like that for the Pre please? pleeeeeeease? lol
    Quote Originally Posted by dnielsen View Post
    Can someone develop a Song ID App? Something like Gracenote or Shazam? Gracenote works better in my opinion but I'd take anything I can get. Anybody willing/able to develop an app like that for the Pre please? pleeeeeeease? lol
    i believe its not possible at the moment. The webos doesnt utilize the hardware necessary for recognizing the songs (at least thats what i remember reading) palm will have to change the sdk to allow access to certain hardware in the phone first.
    i guess the microphone is not accessible at his point. I love having shazam or something similar.
    damn for real? Thats one program i used to use all the time on my old Diamond. what a downer
    yea my friend used to always use shazam and i thought it was the coolest app because i hear a lot of songs on the radio,and i dont know what they are called. This app would be great.
    Palm needs to make some moves in the near future im getting disappointed with Pre and and WebOS, thinking of going back with windows
    LOL you've gotta be kidding. Even with it's issues, anything is still a world better than the joke that is Windows Mobile these days. (Speaking as a Windows Mobile user of 6+ years)
    Before I got the Diamond (on Sprint of course) I would have agreed with you but I loved the Diamond, did everything I wanted with no problems and prior to the Pre was the closest thing Sprint had to the iPhone. If the Pre hasn't improved all the little things it needs by the end of the year I'll switch to either WM or Android. By little things I mean...

1.) Music ID aka the entire reasoning behind this thread
    2.) Voice Dialing
    3.) Cut, Copy, and Paste thats actually WORTH a damn
    4.) Text forwarding
    5.) A FREAKING VIDEO CAMERA!!!

sorry for the rant, moral of the story: can someone please create a Music ID app despite Palm not making it possible for someone to do so? lol
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dnielsen View Post
    Before I got the Diamond (on Sprint of course) I would have agreed with you but I loved the Diamond, did everything I wanted with no problems and prior to the Pre was the closest thing Sprint had to the iPhone. If the Pre hasn't improved all the little things it needs by the end of the year I'll switch to either WM or Android. By little things I mean...

1.) Music ID aka the entire reasoning behind this thread
    2.) Voice Dialing
    3.) Cut, Copy, and Paste thats actually WORTH a damn
    4.) Text forwarding
    5.) A FREAKING VIDEO CAMERA!!!

sorry for the rant, moral of the story: can someone please create a Music ID app despite Palm not making it possible for someone to do so? lol
    #4 is fixed by webOS quick install under the tweaks menu...it's very handy
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    WHY DON'T WE HAVE THIS YET I always used this app on my treo
    Quote Originally Posted by rooofey View Post
    WHY DON'T WE HAVE THIS YET I always used this app on my treo
    Talk to Palm. No, really -- they have a feedback form. Tell them this is something you want.

They're aren't personally going to make it (that'll be Shazam or Midomi or another third-party app), but right now I don't believe that any third-party dev CAN make this app due to Palm not having released the proper APIs. Devs can't make what isn't supported.

/Kevin
    In the amount of time it took to find those URLs and use your sarcastic eye-rolling, you could have just re-explained it or just given him/her the proper search terms to use to find those threads.

Why are these forums so hostile? Wow.

/Kevin
    No hostile, but there have been a ridiculous amount of repost when a simple search would help 80% of the people.

FOr people who have been here since the Pre launch its quite tiring seeing the same threads over and over every day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    No hostile, but there have been a ridiculous amount of repost when a simple search would help 80% of the people.

FOr people who have been here since the Pre launch its quite tiring seeing the same threads over and over every day.
    Every forum has that problem, but it's in how it's dealt with. Here it seems to be handled with scorn and name calling. I know it's frustrating for many people to rehash the same things day after day, but I'm sure many people search first. Obviously not all do, but you can't tell which is which unfortunately.

One way I've seen it handled on some forums is that when you go to make a post, it sees what you've put in for your subject line, and then it gives you some suggestions for existing threads you might want to check out first. Obviously that relies on the forum system to be able to be accurate, but even if it just returned a handful of search results with some intelligence, it might cut down on the number of reposts.

But in the meantime, a little compassion goes a long ways, even when you're frustrated. I haven't been on here all that long, especially compared to many of you, and I've never really been made to feel "at home" here. I stick around because there isn't a better source out there -- these are the most widely used Pre forums I've found -- but I do with the mods would be a little stricter on here. (I know, I know, I'm probably in the minority.)

/Kevin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast