Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This is not a complaint but i am just putting it out there. People that haven't bought the pre and are looking to buy one come here to these forums for input and information about whether or not they should buy the palm pre. The amount of complaining about the pre on our forums is driving them away!!(some are even turning to the evil iphone!). I just saw a thread that said they are going to the iphone because they see too many problems on our forums about the pre even before they bought one! I became a member of these forums a few weeks ago and bought my pre last week. I have been surfing these threads and all i have been seeing is non stop complaining... ex) OMFG i have ONE dead pixel!!!, my phone is dieing in 5 hours! and all that other crap. I was reluctant to buy a pre because of this complaining but nevertheless i bought one. I had non of these problems with my pre except one dead pixel but that's not the point. This is not a complaint against everyone on these forums but it is for those idiots who start a whole another thread because of one small minor problem with their pre (you know who you are). The idiots are making the pre look bad to people who want to buy them.
    I think there are some valid complaints and issues and people should post about them. On the other hand some people who find the phone is not for them assume that since that is the case that it is the case for everyone.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    My Pre runs fantastic. I am 100% sure that most of the "haters" are just here to bust chops, considering they offer nothing much to the community other than a place to hang and whine.
    Totally agree. I was reluctant to purchasing the Pre after reading these threads about people complaining about it. However, I decided to try it myself and I am more happy with the Pre and Sprint than I ever was with the iPhone 2g, 3g, and 3gs (over almost 3 years of iPhone) and the 12 years I have being with ATT.

I respect the opinions of those that rather to get a device because of the apple logo in the back, despite the overpriced plans at att and the problems of the iPhone most people tend to forget. In regards to the pre, just like with every electronic gadget, there will be some with defects. This is true for every phone, dvd, stereo, etc.
  5.    #5  
    very true mikeyuse
    And I respect of those that post after obviously heavy 4th of july drinking... NOT. And this is coming from someone posting claiming after years of iphone ownership and hacking from 2G to 3GS that the 2G didnt have proximity sensor. You're batting 100% today.

I think you need to step away from the computer and not post until the hangover is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeYuse0406 View Post
    I respect the opinions of those that rather to get a device because of the apple logo in the back, despite the overpriced plans at att and the problems of the iPhone most people tend to forget.
    I have deAD PixEls and my screen is l!ke an 0re0 yo spint is crap.

Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    I take a different view on this.

I've yet to purchase the Pre, yet I've gotten a wealth of information both pro and con by reading this forum. I just take in the meat, and spit out the bones..
    If the issues are valid then it should be made aware on the forums and people need considering will have to decide for themselves. If the issues are valid, you rather they buy the phone and then 'if' they have problems, have them post on the forums later of their problems and how they didnt know, etc?

Palms not the only one with issues and if they really are looking for every issue, then they will check out the other forums and see the other issues and make their decisions.

I am on the fence with my ATT contract running up... I like the pre and the webos but honestly the build issues I think are real and a consideration for me. But that doesnt mean I am running to iphone either as fast as I can... they are having issues with most recently their overheating posts and apples response so that really has to be taken into account and for me is making me hesistant.

So for me I am thinking that with both having issues now I can wait a few months for both phones and see who is taking care of their issues. I don't think anything wrong with that and other people may be able to do the same. Otherwise you could have these people that buy and dont realize what it means to buy a 1st gen and you have lost them forever in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    I think there are some valid complaints and issues and people should post about them. On the other hand some people who find the phone is not for them assume that since that is the case that it is the case for everyone.
    I don't really care about new buyers. I want palm to fix the issues that are present and their past track record isn't good. Sure 3 updates that haven't fixed or added anything substantial thus far and in the past with Garnet they relied on third parties to make their OS tolerable. I expect something similar here.

The Pre is a good device but needs a lot of work when compared to say the GS. That's why you see all threads with mostly legit complaints about the OS.

Face it, the OS needs work. People will complain about it until it gets fixed or they leave. Try and not let it impact the size of your epeen. The pre has issues and palm needs to step it up. Waiting until summer is over for a fuctional SDK is not stepping it up.

We will see how many substantial updates we get before then. I'm not holding my breath I think 90% of Palm's resources are working on the SDK.
    I want to know about the Cons. I want to know what I'm getting myself into. While some stuff might come off as whining, I'm sure its partly because they waited long, have been waiting long, spend hard earned cash, etc.

So yea, I want to know about complaints
    I hate threads like these... you need both pro and con's so other consumers can make an educated decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post

I've yet to purchase the Pre, yet I've gotten a wealth of information both pro and con by reading this forum. I just take in the meat, and spit out the bones..
    Ahhhh, so are you implying that one can actually have enough intelligence to take the good, the bad and even the ugly and come to one's own conclusion? Can you teach a course on that?

Of course you are going to have those that complain just to complain, those that complain because there are issues and those that don't want anyone to complain because everything is hunky-dory in their world. And it is inevitable that someone will start a thread complaining about the threads that the complainers start. The complainers will strike back in the thread, the original poster will get offended and so on and so on and so on.....
    No, I don't think people should stop complaining, just as people shouldnt stop praising the phone, either.

If that's their opinion.

Sure, some people, including myself are not happy with the phone for our own reasons. They may not apply to you, but you don't have to read the thread. I think people should be able to hear both the pros and cons of the device, so that way they can make an educated decision. Personally, when I buy something, or if I am looking at a review on, say, Amazon -- for, let's say, a book. I read both the pros and cons, because a lot of times, the positive reviews will be the author's friends or from people that are so blinded by their biases that you will not be able to get a fair, objective assessment.

I understand, we have all invested so much time into Palm, into waiting for this device, that for some of us, it is impossible to take a step back and view things objectively. But let's face facts. For a lot of people, the phone is great, as evidenced by user comments here and on reviews on the web. But lets also face the fact: For some people, the build quality is bad, the PIM functions suck, the interface is slow. For some, this is just the result of the a dud, or the manufacturing process. For some, this is just out of personal preference. But lets hear both sides, and let prospective consumers decide if the Pre is right for them. I come to sites like these in the hopes that somebody will beta test, that somebody will take a chance on 1G device or product, so that I don't have to.

For a business user like myself, I am glad other's are posting on their dissappointment with the PIM functions and the build quality. Maybe it will help the people from buying the wrong device. I am testing the device myself, and I agree, there is a lot of great things there, but it seems to be targeted at a different audience. As much as I hate Windows Mobile, I might just have to go back to my Treo Pro, because I need to be able to go through my contacts and calender quickly.

This coming from a stock owner, who has made quite a bit of money off Palm in the last six months.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Part of the problem with the complainers is that they can't just post in 1 thread. I have an issue so I:
    1 - start a new thread "Pre screen is discoloring"
    2 - post in 4 other threads that I have a problem with my screen discoloring
    3 - start a new thread "Pre screen sucks"
    4 - start a new thread "Sprint won't fix my Pre"
    5 - start a new thread "Palm screen quality sucks".

Many new people doing research don't really pay attention to the user name or how many posts they have. So the 1 unhappy owner ends up posting multiple bad issues that a browser doesn't realize is all the same. This makes it look like there are more problem PREs than there good ones.

And of course the PRE/Sprint hate'rs will post in as many threads they can. Human nature is for people to validate their decision by having others make the same choice. So if I complain about the PRE and say that I am leaving, I want others to do the same - makes me feel like I made the correct choice.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Ok, I have been using both the iPhone 3GS and Palm Pre since their respective launch days. (Yes I have 4 lines on At&t and 1 on Sprint and yes I drive my wife crazy with phone purchases) I have been trying to decide which one to keep and gave myself this weekend to finalize my decision. I keep coming back to the Pre, yes the iPhone has alot of apps but how many of those did I use consistently..not many....The video is a nice feature with 2 young kids but not a necessity. The Pres camera takes better picture with the flash.

Eventually, I realized I kept coming back to the Pre for its multi tasking and notifications among other things.

By the way I have had no issues at all with my Pre.
    Are you seriously suggesting that we should hide the issues we're having in order to dupe people into thinking that the Pre is better than it is so they'll buy it and give you someone new to talk to? Wow. I've heard that misery loves company but have some consideration for your fellow human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by d0llarm3nu View Post
    This is not a complaint but i am just putting it out there. People that haven't bought the pre and are looking to buy one come here to these forums for input and information about whether or not they should buy the palm pre. The amount of complaining about the pre on our forums is driving them away!!(some are even turning to the evil iphone!). I just saw a thread that said they are going to the iphone because they see too many problems on our forums about the pre even before they bought one! I became a member of these forums a few weeks ago and bought my pre last week. I have been surfing these threads and all i have been seeing is non stop complaining... ex) OMFG i have ONE dead pixel!!!, my phone is dieing in 5 hours! and all that other crap. I was reluctant to buy a pre because of this complaining but nevertheless i bought one. I had non of these problems with my pre except one dead pixel but that's not the point. This is not a complaint against everyone on these forums but it is for those idiots who start a whole another thread because of one small minor problem with their pre (you know who you are). The idiots are making the pre look bad to people who want to buy them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post

Same. Not getting a new phone until one can USB tether like, alas, my Instinct does.
    This thread makes me laugh.

Lets all gather around and sing Palm songs while holding hands. Maybe we can convince other people with our positive thoughts that they should buy the Pre.
    Dollarm, I don't think there are too many people complaining about the software. If you don't like the bad posts tell palm to fix the hardware or add a disclaimer that says there may be hardware defects. Its sad that I am on my 4th phone and have the live with the wobbly screen. I just like the phone overall too damn much but shame on palm for having insufficient manufacturing.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast