Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I bought the Pre on day 1. Since then there have been 30 or 29 (depending upon the Splash-Data folks lack of quality control) applications. Nowhere, in the fine print, did I sign-up to be a BETA tester for this device. At a minimum, PALM should offer some free apps *... to those who purchased a PRE between 6/6/09 and 7/6/09 (or whatever date when we actually make that magic number of 31 (or more) apps).

* - This presumes that there will, one day, be more than 30 apps in the app store.

Frustrating.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    You didn't have to download them. You had the satisfaction of being able to get the phone when it came out.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    +1 zpoettker

Palm doesn't owe us anything aside from bug fixes and the like
    It is a brand new OS so it'll take some time for things to get rolling. I bought it with that in mind. Use the 30 day return period and wait a bit to see how things go if you want more apps.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    It is a brand new OS so it'll take some time for things to get rolling. I bought it with that in mind. Use the 30 day return period and wait a bit to see how things go if you want more apps.
    Rolling out a new OS (and really, the only thing new is the Card interface) is something the computing industry has been doing for 40 years. You'd expect they'd have the process down and similar to rolling out a new car model.

*sigh* on low consumer expectations.
    Last edited by Clack; 07/05/2009 at 04:00 PM.
    It's funny how people complain about applications that you don't even have to download. The app catalog does say beta. It's been known in advance that there wouldn't be that many apps available, not to mention the 1.0 webos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clack View Post
    Rolling out a new OS (and really, the only thing new is the Card interface) is something the computing industry has been doing for 40 years. You'd expect they have the process done similar to rolling out a new car model.

Except this is a brand new OS. This is not like Windows or Mac OS or even Linux where they just build upon the older versions.
    Rolling out a new OS (and really, the only thing new is the Card interface) is something the computing industry has been doing for 40 years. You'd expect they have the process done similar to rolling out a new car model.

so with your reasoning, why did it take so long for Apple to come out with an app store for the iphone?

And as far as low consumer expectations the phone does pretty much everything my blackberry did for me. That's my experience so ymmv.
    You'd expect they have the process done similar to rolling out a new car model.
    I bought a brand new Nissan Murano a few years back, in its inaugural year (2003 model year). It was absolutely full of issues that weren't resolved until the next year in some cases, and subsequent years in others. Indeed, the brand spanking new CVT transmission only just recently (in the 2009 model year, I believe) became everything it's supposed to be in terms of performance, reliability, etc. It certainly had some serious kinks the first few years.

The advice against buying a first-year model applies to pretty much every automaker, forever, and I know many people who would never do buy a car that's just been introduced. Bottom line is, any brand new technology (e.g., WebOS) can be expected to have issues, and if people don't like dealing with them, they should wait until subsequent releases.

And note that Nissan didn't pay anyone anything for "beta testing" the Murano. And, I'm guessing that not many people asked for it.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisgloor View Post
    I bought the Pre on day 1. Since then there have been 30 or 29 (depending upon the Splash-Data folks lack of quality control) applications. Nowhere, in the fine print, did I sign-up to be a BETA tester for this device. At a minimum, PALM should offer some free apps *... to those who purchased a PRE between 6/6/09 and 7/6/09 (or whatever date when we actually make that magic number of 31 (or more) apps).

* - This presumes that there will, one day, be more than 30 apps in the app store.

Frustrating.
    The day you bought the phone as an early adopter you signed up to be a beta tester. If you don't like it, don't buy brand new phones with brand new os's, go buy an iPhone
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    Oh get over it. None of us are BETA testers. As with any first-generation device, software, etc, you're going to have kinks to sort out. Nobody forced you to participate in this maturing period. Personally, being part of this process is enough of a reward for me.
    Linux is not a brand new OS. It has been around for 18 years. People have been using it in embedded devices like phones and PDAs for many, many years. So you can't use the "it's a new OS" excuse.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    Linux is not a brand new OS. It has been around for 18 years. People have been using it in embedded devices like phones and PDAs for many, many years. So you can't use the "it's a new OS" excuse.
    Luna and mojo re brand new api's, or did you forget? Android didn't laucnh with thousands of apps, and its backed by google. Get over it or get another phone.

/thread
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    But then any linux app should work on WebOS then, or you could say that any new linux based distro should do everything that every previous distro could do since linux itself has been around for years.
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    But then any linux app should work on WebOS then, or you could say that any new linux based distro should do everything that every previous distro could do since linux itself has been around for years.
    The phone doesn't run x windows or any standard linx api, so its not even a discussion that should be had in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    The phone doesn't run x windows or any standard linx api, so its not even a discussion that should be had in this thread.
    Oh I understand the reasons why, I was just saying that because it was implied that since webos is based off linux that means it should be a mature os right at release. Those remarks were sarcasm.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I think maybe the OP was referring to all the hardware issues, not software.
    Quote Originally Posted by tcassio View Post
    Yea, that's probably why he was talking about nothing but the number of apps in the app catalog..
    Quote Originally Posted by tcassio View Post
    His gripe appeared to be with the number of currently available apps.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    I love the smell of entitlement in the morning
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast