Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 81 to 94 of 94
  1. #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by Clack View Post
    Hmmm... you mean the SDK kit that has been delayed as being out of Beta until the end of the Summer?
    What delay? When was the promised date? There is no "delay", that's just when it's going to be released.
  2. #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by Clack View Post
    I have stated the proof. However, please research the issue yourself if the proof I provided eludes you. There is plenty of information out there.
    Actually, you did no such thing. You posted a lot of nonsense, but none of it listed Palm's published release date of the SDK, nor the delay information. There has been no "delay".
  3. #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    There is nothing at all new or special about the OS of the Pre. It's all been done many, many times before.
    So why are you even here?
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"


    PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  4. #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    Wow. You're just going to make things up, are you? Let's see. All of these are standard on pretty much any Linux system and seem to be on the Pre as well:

    • Standard Unix syscall API
    • POSIX Standard API
    • Linux kernel and module APIs
    • Standard C library API
    • Standard C++ library API
    • Standard Template Library API
    • Java Standard APIs

    Plus a ton of of other libraries and APIs that come standard on most Linux (and other) systems. So, yes, the Pre does use the standard Linux APIs and the Pre can and does run standard Linux binaries that you can download from the optware, Debian or other repositories.

    There is nothing at all new or special about the OS of the Pre. It's all been done many, many times before.

    I have been a software engineer specializing in Unix and Linux for many years. You have no idea what you are talking about.
    If you are what you claim, then you should know that a set of API's, among other things, are the interface for calling services from the OS's libraries. Different Linux distros have different libraries. There is no one "standard". There are things that will run fine on the Suse Linux that I run that will not run, nor will they compile to run, on other distros.

    You may have the experience you claim, but your oversimplification of the facts shows that you're willing to sling BS to "prove" your claims.

    Further, while you may know your background, you don't know the background(s) of those that you claim superiority to. Again, further evidence of your bluff and bluster.

    While you whine and moan about the mistakes that you believe Palm has made that is keeping you from developing adequately for the device, others seem to be forging ahead. Maybe they're relying on using instead of excusing... or maybe it's an old dog new tricks issue.

    No matter the reason, feel free to revel in your failure, I'm enjoying their successes.
  5. Clack's Avatar
    Posts
    251 Posts
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    If you are what you claim, then you should know that a set of API's, among other things, are the interface for calling services from the OS's libraries. Different Linux distros have different libraries. There is no one "standard". There are things that will run fine on the Suse Linux that I run that will not run, nor will they compile to run, on other distros.
    The above is completely wrong and shows a completely lack of knowledge about UNIX/Linux development practices.

    I don't even know where to begin since a complete lecture on OS and UNIX design let alone development practices are beyond the scope of this thread.

    I will point out the trivial commercial examples of the Proprietary X Window drivers provided by nVIDA and ATI and the VMware suite of tools. If what you said were true, then none of those products are tested on all supported distros therefore wouldn't work. Heck, even FreeBSD/NetBSD/OpenBSD have been know to pilfer Linux drivers to make certain hardware usable under those platforms. I can even download generic versions Firefox that will run on various distros for the architecture (CPU) it was compiled for. And that, my friend, is a complicated pieced of software.

    Also, when code won't compile, it is more likely missing libraries and header files which are trivial to locate and install.

    So please, like you have asked others to do, please do your research before making completely ignorant statements like this and trashing those of us that know with them.

    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    You may have the experience you claim, but your oversimplification of the facts shows that you're willing to sling BS to "prove" your claims.

    Further, while you may know your background, you don't know the background(s) of those that you claim superiority to. Again, further evidence of your bluff and bluster.
    Your misguided summation of Linux compatibility has told me and every Unix/Linux expert all we need to know about your background.

    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    While you whine and moan about the mistakes that you believe Palm has made that is keeping you from developing adequately for the device, others seem to be forging ahead. Maybe they're relying on using instead of excusing... or maybe it's an old dog new tricks issue.
    Sprint and Palm have taken on a large set of business risks with the new device despite there emulating their competitors. Not having a production ready SDK to release with the phone is a serious business impediment for them.

    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    No matter the reason, feel free to revel in your failure, I'm enjoying their successes.
    It's good that it's meeting your needs which is, alas, only a subset of the needs the device is aiming to satisfy.
    Last edited by Clack; 07/06/2009 at 02:16 AM.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
  6. #86  
    I would love some compensation for time lost clicking this thread
  7. #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I would love some compensation for time lost clicking this thread
    Nice.
  8. #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    So why are you even here?
    To annoy you.
  9. #89  
    I won't address hparsons' idiocy specifically because Clack has done an excellent job of it.

    Far be it from me to correct hparsons when all I've done is make a lot of money writing Linux software over many years as a software engineer. Sure I've written system software and GUI frameworks for embedded Linux systems including PDAs like the Pre but obviously hparsons knows more about Linux programming than I do from his job running cabling and clearing people's browser caches as a "network engineer."

    Sure I've been using Linux as my primary desktop and server OS and programming it since 1994 but what do I know? hparsons touched the side of a Linux computer once so of course he knows more.
    Last edited by clipcarl; 07/06/2009 at 02:22 AM.
  10. #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    To annoy you.
    Fail. You don't annoy me. I was actually looking for a reason that you spend time on a forum for enthusiasts of a device you don't really seem to be an enthusiast for.....Are you some super consumer advocate protecting the innocent from big bad palms Inadequate QA process? That's very Nice of you. I do enjoy the time we spend together cupcake.

    Like seriously...I know you are a big bad software guy with lotsa things you've done and you worked side by side with gore inventing the ethernets and stuff...but what are you getting out of this forum. I mean I presume your here for a real reason right?
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"


    PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  11. #91  
    Who says I'm not enthusiastic about the Pre?

    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    Fail. You don't annoy me. I was actually looking for a reason that you spend time on a forum for enthusiasts of a device you don't really seem to be an enthusiast for.....Are you some super consumer advocate protecting the innocent from big bad palms Inadequate QA process? That's very Nice of you. I do enjoy the time we spend together cupcake.

    Like seriously...I know you are a big bad software guy with lotsa things you've done and you worked side by side with gore inventing the ethernets and stuff...but what are you getting out of this forum. I mean I presume your here for a real reason right?
  12. #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    I won't address hparsons' idiocy specifically because Clack has done an excellent job of it.

    Far be it from me to correct hparsons when all I've done is make a lot of money writing Linux software over many years as a software engineer. Sure I've written system software and GUI frameworks for embedded Linux systems including PDAs like the Pre but obviously hparsons knows more about Linux programming than I do from his job running cabling and clearing people's browser caches as a "network engineer."

    Sure I've been using Linux as my primary desktop and server OS and programming it since 1994 but what do I know? hparsons touched the side of a Linux computer once so of course he knows more.
    Funny, I suppose if you're reading skills were anywhere nearly as good as your boasting skills, you would have noted that not only did I not say I was a Linux programmer, I specifically stated that I wasn't.

    However, since you're here to boost your own ego, maybe you'd like to impart some of that Linux expertise for the rest of us, an explain exactly what a "Linux computer" is...

    What is really amazing is the need to impune the knowledge, and abilities, of others. I've not presumed to somehow "know" what you do for a living, why do you seem intent to do so with me? I'd hazard to guess you know nothing of what I do, whether it be running cable or clearing cache.

    The fact is that you don't know, and your pretense that you do tends to speak a lot about your other claims.
  13. #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    ...
    What is really amazing is the need to impune the knowledge, and abilities, of others.
    ...
    Sort of like you did in these untrue quotes from this thread where you were trying to "impune[sic]" the knowledge of others?

    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons
    There is no standard Linux API.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons
    I'll repeat, there is no standard Linux API. I'm not a Linux programmer, but I've been working with it for years. I also know what an posterior is, and I recognize when someone is speaking not only from ignorance, but out of said posterior.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons
    If you are what you claim, then you should know that a set of API's, among other things, are the interface for calling services from the OS's libraries. Different Linux distros have different libraries. There is no one "standard". There are things that will run fine on the Suse Linux that I run that will not run, nor will they compile to run, on other distros.

    You may have the experience you claim, but your oversimplification of the facts shows that you're willing to sling BS to "prove" your claims.

    Further, while you may know your background, you don't know the background(s) of those that you claim superiority to. Again, further evidence of your bluff and bluster.

    While you whine and moan about the mistakes that you believe Palm has made that is keeping you from developing adequately for the device, others seem to be forging ahead. Maybe they're relying on using instead of excusing... or maybe it's an old dog new tricks issue.

    No matter the reason, feel free to revel in your failure, I'm enjoying their successes.
    It's better to be silent and have people think you're a fool than to open your mouth and dispel all doubt.
  14. #94  
    Thread is way off topic - closed
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Posting Permissions