Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    Um, actually you can run most Linux apps on the Pre just fine. If you root your Pre you can download and run apps from the optware repository and from Debian repositories right now. If you run "ps" from the command line you'll see that the Pre is running pretty vanilla Linux stuff that's been done a million times before. The only new stuff is the UI / app framework and a couple of the drivers.

BTW, you're not going to win this one. I have been software engineer for 12+ years and I specialize in Unix and Linux. I have written code used in embedded Linux systems and Linux PDAs so I know a thing or two about this.
    So since Android is linux based does that mean that every app for Android can therefore be easily ported over to WebOS? (I'm asking this as a straightforward question, no curve)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisgloor View Post
    I bought the Pre on day 1. Since then there have been 30 or 29 (depending upon the Splash-Data folks lack of quality control) applications. Nowhere, in the fine print, did I sign-up to be a BETA tester for this device. At a minimum, PALM should offer some free apps *... to those who purchased a PRE between 6/6/09 and 7/6/09 (or whatever date when we actually make that magic number of 31 (or more) apps).

* - This presumes that there will, one day, be more than 30 apps in the app store.

Frustrating.
    Are you kidding me? wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Cool. So, what did they promise at that announcement that they did not deliver on?
    Somewhere in there it says that you can demand free stuff from Palm if the device does not live up to your personal expectation, reguardless of weather palm made guarentees or not. Kinda like they implied I'd like it, so since I don't they should pay me for the hassle of not liking the product.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    So since Android is linux based does that mean that every app for Android can therefore be easily ported over to WebOS? (I'm asking this as a straightforward question, no curve)
    Android runs in a JVM (Java virtual machine) environment. The apps are written in Java. They went this route so the hardware underneath the JVM can change and have no impact on user applications.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Damn. I wish they would release the PHONE app. I have looked and looked and looked and I cannot make any calls because they released the phone but NO APP TO RUN IT!

I mean seriously! I see 30 apps in the store of which I use 3 or 4 and they work great, but I get up every day and check and then check again every night before I got to sleep to see if Palm will release the PHONE app.

I got this thing like 3 days after release and figured, well...it IS a phone, they've got to release a PHONE app so I can call somebody, but nope. Nothing yet.

Where's my compensation? Heck I had to go out and get another phone just to hold me opver til they release that APP!

LET'S GO PALM!!!
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndall View Post
    Damn. I wish they would release the PHONE app. I have looked and looked and looked and I cannot make any calls because they released the phone but NO APP TO RUN IT!

I mean seriously! I see 30 apps in the store of which I use 3 or 4 and they work great, but I get up every day and check and then check again every night before I got to sleep to see if Palm will release the PHONE app.

I got this thing like 3 days after release and figured, well...it IS a phone, they've got to release a PHONE app so I can call somebody, but nope. Nothing yet.

Where's my compensation? Heck I had to go out and get another phone just to hold me opver til they release that APP!

LET'S GO PALM!!!
    this mad me lol a lot
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndall View Post

LET'S GO PALM!!!
    Thank you!! A reply that showed an equal measure of thought and insight as the OP.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Expectations are based on past performance. Can you name one OS or application in the last 40 years that has come out feature complete and defect free?
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisgloor View Post
    At a minimum, PALM should offer some free apps *... to those who purchased a PRE ...
    Frustrating.
    Four posts and four complaints. You should be compensating us.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post
    Expectations are based on past performance. Can you name one OS or application in the last 40 years that has come out feature complete and defect free?
    Well, let's see, the Market has provided us with the iPhone and Apple Store for it; Google/T-Mobile certainly set the expectations for it's app store BEFORE release the phone.

Yes, past performance can be measured against those you are competing with in particularly when the product is evolutionary not revolutionary. Yet Sprint / Palm seem to retarding customer expectations rather than enhance them in the market place.
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    Yes, it would be easy to port Android to the Pre (they designed Android to be easy to port). Most of the hard work is already done as all the drivers are already written and there is a working bootloader.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clack View Post
    Well, let's see, the Market has provided us with the iPhone and Apple Store for it; Google/T-Mobile certainly set the expectations for it's app store BEFORE release the phone.

Yes, past performance can be measured against those you are competing with in particularly when the product is evolutionary not revolutionary. Yet Sprint / Palm seem to retarding customer expectations rather than enhance them in the market place.
    Android launched with something like 6 apps. I don't know how many apps the iPhone app store had, but it wasn't a lot. Why can't you understand this? What is so hard to grasp here?
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Android launched with something like 6 apps. I don't know how many apps the iPhone app store had, but it wasn't a lot. Why can't you understand this? What is so hard to grasp here?
    The Iphone launched with 0 apps.

* i was thinking since my pre did not save mj from dying and has not given us all world peace that Palm should send me a free blue tooth or something.....joking
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 07/05/2009 at 08:35 PM.

Originally posted by Tyndall:

LET'S GO PALM!!
    I'm confused by this post. Are you saying you activated your phone, but you can't place a call? Why didn't you just read your book, ask the store or call customer service for directions? Why buy another phone? That doesn't make sense or I"m being too literal with your post. Was it just a joke and you're exaggerating?
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    The Iphone launched with 0 apps.

* i was thinking since my pre did not save mj from dying and has not given us all world peace that Palm should send me a free blue tooth or something.....joking
    The iPhone was a relatively unique and original product.

The Pre is not. Apple established what an app store should be. Palm Pre... well, the dropped the ball based on market experience. Even Google/T-Mobile have done better with their SDK and App store than Palm has.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    How does one understand such a sentiment? Its like demanding Apple had 10000 apps in the app store the day it was launched. Its absurd, unrealistic, to say the least.
    The OP expected more. Again, I understand his sentiment. It's really not that hard.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Yes, but Google and T-Mobile also made it clear what the state of the App Store was gonna be.

Also, my comprehension isn't the problem here. Pre is the 3rd player in this "app" market. Sprint/Palm dropped the ball on the App Market despite doing nothing original: They the experience and lessons from Apple and Google/T-Mobile to build on.

And because Android promotes JVM based Apps, those apps will be easier to manage on any Android device.
    Last edited by Clack; 07/05/2009 at 10:21 PM.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    The VNC running on the phone is running on a DirectFB(Framebuffer just in case)... Its not running on X. It actually kills Luna, so you have a black screen until you start DirectFB and the VNC client. Same for the NES emulator, same for Doom. Luna is not X windows, it is a proprietary Palm interface, made specifically for this phone, with the Cortex A8 in mind. Do you realize just how sloppy the phone would be if you could just run any old Linux app on it in Luna? Thats why you can't run linux apps on the iphone, or android, besides behind the scenes stuff.
    The issue was being refuted was that webOS is a new OS (it isn't) and that it it doesn't have the standard Linux API (it does). No claim as to the performance was made. But I do thank you for pointing out they used the Framebuffer. And it still doesn't change the fact that an embedded X server couldn't be ported to the platform.

But you have supported what I had to say about it: there are lots of standard UNIX apps that can be made to work on the Pre without a lot of effort. That was all there was to the point. Simple... and why is it that the simplest people miss the simple ideas?
    The issue was being refuted was that webOS is a new OS (it isn't) and that it it doesn't have the standard Linux API (it does).
    There is no standard Linux API.
    The iPhone was a relatively unique and original product.

The Pre is not. Apple established what an app store should be. Palm Pre... well, the dropped the ball based on market experience. Even Google/T-Mobile have done better with their SDK and App store than Palm has.
    I disagree wholeheartedly. But I say tomato and you say sweeping generalizations that can not be backed by fact. You say they dropped the ball? Android did not even offer Paid apps for the first what year? Pre's app store did on day 1. Apple couldn't even run the programs in the app store for the first day of launch, Palms Pre can...

Apple rejected Trent Reznors Update for no apparent reason...Palms store is still new, but there have been 3rd party programs for palms os long before Apple made a central store to download them. So yeah they established the 1st app store... And I could get anything I wanted that would get made for my 650 and centro...where's shaken babies now? Honestly there are a lot of people who don't like the central store idea because of the control over content that the companies get to wield.

I bet you love the fact that apples long time policy was not to even reject an app until it was finished leaving developers out of $$$ and Time, that was ingenious of them right. Apple is not perfect and their store is not perfect either, but don't confuse the store front with the content. And stop thinking 1 size fits all. Apple is not skynet and they will never be thank god.

And WTF does market experience mean anyways?

**** developers can't even tell each other why their apps are being rejected, leaving many to go down the same path only to be rejected. An app store IMO is not a great thing in the first place.
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 07/05/2009 at 10:36 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast