Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Nobody seems to complain too much about always being beta testers for every release from Microsift!
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlaqkAudio View Post
    Except this is a brand new OS. This is not like Windows or Mac OS or even Linux where they just build upon the older versions.
    No, it's not a ground up new OS. It's built on the Linux which has been around for nearly 18 years now:

opensource.palm.com/1.0.4/index.html

An eyeballs look at the list tells me about 80% of the software in the Palm Pre has been around for 5 years or longer.

So, I am not sure why you think it is a new OS? It is certainly a new deployment of an existing OS. The primary think that is new is the webkit and GUI. But that doesn't make it a "new os" just a new Linux distro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Luna and mojo re brand new api's, or did you forget? Android didn't laucnh with thousands of apps, and its backed by google. Get over it or get another phone.

/thread
    Luna and mojo are not the OS. They are an application and an application framework respectively. We're talking about the OS. Get over it or get another phone.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    The phone doesn't run x windows or any standard linx api, so its not even a discussion that should be had in this thread.
    Please, it's running what you call standard linux API just not X-window by default. There are X serveres that are designed for embeded use.

And I suspect that could be changed easily as there is a report of VNC running on the Pre already and VNC ceratinly uses X.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    seriously, the op is stupid. Not just because of this post, but because he bought something he did not fully understand and now feels as though palm owes him something. Palm has yet to promise me any apps at all...so why do they owe you something?...either you are just trying to get a freebie or you really don't understand how the world works.
    Tech Gurus on this forum aside, he bought the Hype that Sprint and Palm have put out... the propaganda if you will. Since most purchasers made choices based on Marketing hype, I appreciate his sentiment feeling like he was sold a bill of goods.
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    But then any linux app should work on WebOS then, or you could say that any new linux based distro should do everything that every previous distro could do since linux itself has been around for years.
    Um, actually you can run most Linux apps on the Pre just fine. If you root your Pre you can download and run apps from the optware repository and from Debian repositories right now. If you run "ps" from the command line you'll see that the Pre is running pretty vanilla Linux stuff that's been done a million times before. The only new stuff is the UI / app framework and a couple of the drivers.

BTW, you're not going to win this one. I have been software engineer for 12+ years and I specialize in Unix and Linux. I have written code used in embedded Linux systems and Linux PDAs so I know a thing or two about this.
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisgloor View Post
    I bought the Pre on day 1. Since then there have been 30 or 29 (depending upon the Splash-Data folks lack of quality control) applications. Nowhere, in the fine print, did I sign-up to be a BETA tester for this device. At a minimum, PALM should offer some free apps *... to those who purchased a PRE between 6/6/09 and 7/6/09 (or whatever date when we actually make that magic number of 31 (or more) apps).

* - This presumes that there will, one day, be more than 30 apps in the app store.

Frustrating.
    So, when you downloaded the apps, you missed the banner that said:

(drum roll please)

B E T A
    Quote Originally Posted by Clack View Post
    Tech Gurus on this forum aside, he bought the Hype that Sprint and Palm have put out... the propaganda if you will. Since most purchasers made choices based on Marketing hype, I appreciate his sentiment feeling like he was sold a bill of goods.
    The Hype, proagand, and marketing that Sprint and Palm "put out"... Where was that??
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    The Hype, proagand, and marketing that Sprint and Palm "put out"... Where was that??
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BlaqkAudio View Post
    The marketing campaign officially kicked off here:

Answers to burning Palm Pre questions | CES 2009 - CNET Blogs

And from there, Sprint/Palm seemed to do a good impression of tease from there...
    Like I said he must not understand how the world works. watch a late night infomercial and order the product and see what I mean. It is advertising and marketing...if you buy a hamburger at mcdonalds do you get a free shake because the one in the commercial looked bigger? They use fake, spray painted food in those adds...SO I don't get the point of your reply, maybe he should go off grid and become the unibomber 2 or something if you don't like the capitalistic system we live in...better yet, I bet in North Korea you wouldnt have to worry about "false advertising" or Bad Hype...wouldnt have to worry about getting a new smartphone either... Palm made no guarentee about the app store for this phone. If they did show me.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Like I said he must not understand how the world works. watch a late night infomercial and order the product and see what I mean...
    I dunno, my SlapChop works great. "You're gonna love my nuts!!!"
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    I dunno, my SlapChop works great. "You're gonna love my nuts!!!"
    my shamwow does not pick up a liter of cola with no pressure....
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Like I said he must not understand how the world works. watch a late night infomercial and order the product and see what I mean. It is advertising and marketing...if you buy a hamburger at mcdonalds do you get a free shake because the one in the commercial looked bigger? They use fake, spray painted food in those adds...SO I don't get the point of your reply, maybe he should go off grid and become the unibomber 2 or something if you don't like the capitalistic system we live in...better yet, I bet in North Korea you wouldnt have to worry about "false advertising" or Bad Hype...wouldnt have to worry about getting a new smartphone either... Palm made no guarentee about the app store for this phone. If they did show me.
    My criticism was not of the OP but those who ripped on him. Also, your comparisons to McDonalds are logically weak ; comparing to an automobile or a home and the commitment those entail would make for a strong argument on your part.

Anyway it is not particularly relevant what method is used to evaluate the "world". His method was to to use the makerting hype about what the phone would do and he was disappointed. He expressed the disappointment and suggested what would address the short comings. A majority of Americans make such decisions every day based on marketing every day. Otherwise, companies wouldn't invest so much into it.

My reply is simple to understand: I understand his sentiment. The details he used to express his frustration are largely unimportant.
    my shamwow does not pick up a liter of cola with no pressure....
    What? A guy with a face like that wouldn't lie!!!
    Please, it's running what you call standard linux API just not X-window by default. There are X serveres that are designed for embeded use.

And I suspect that could be changed easily as there is a report of VNC running on the Pre already and VNC ceratinly uses X.
    The VNC running on the phone is running on a DirectFB(Framebuffer just in case)... Its not running on X. It actually kills Luna, so you have a black screen until you start DirectFB and the VNC client. Same for the NES emulator, same for Doom. Luna is not X windows, it is a proprietary Palm interface, made specifically for this phone, with the Cortex A8 in mind. Do you realize just how sloppy the phone would be if you could just run any old Linux app on it in Luna? Thats why you can't run linux apps on the iphone, or android, besides behind the scenes stuff.
    My criticism was not of the OP but those who ripped on him. Also, your comparisons to McDonalds are logically weak ; comparing to an automobile or a home and the commitment those entail would make for a strong argument on your part.

Anyway it is not particularly relevant what method is used to evaluate the "world". His method was to to use the makerting hype about what the phone would do and he was disappointed. He expressed the disappointment and suggested what would address the short comings. A majority of Americans make such decisions every day based on marketing every day. Otherwise, companies wouldn't invest so much into it.

My reply is simple to understand: I understand his sentiment. The details he used to express his frustration are largely unimportant.
    How does one understand such a sentiment? Its like demanding Apple had 10000 apps in the app store the day it was launched. Its absurd, unrealistic, to say the least.
    The marketing campaign officially kicked off here:

Answers to burning Palm Pre questions | CES 2009 - CNET Blogs

And from there, Sprint/Palm seemed to do a good impression of tease from there...
    Cool. So, what did they promise at that announcement that they did not deliver on?
    Palm and Sprint did not put out a bunch of adds, before launch. They didn't have enough stock to justify the cost. Sprint has a 30 day return policy. If you're unhappy with your choice, you have 30 days to decide and return it.

I can't think of why we should expect a better policy than that. We're getting use of a product. I don't think it could be fairer w/o giving the bank away. Neither Palm nor Sprint have enough funds in reserve to give away their product.

They already subsidize the product. I don't know about you guys, but when I purchased stand-a-lone PDAs from Sony (Clie), I paid $399 to $499 and this was over 7 years ago. When I bought the first bluetooth phone at Verizon, I paid $399 and still had to sign a contract. Now we get a phone and a PDA, but act like $199 is a fortune.

The true cost is in the monthly contract, but Apple and AT & T opened that Ginny and it's not going back in the bottle. Other carriers followed suit w/in the first year of the iPhone.

If you want a smart phone, your monthly costs makes up the phone subsidy w/in the first 3 months. The carriers, in America, are in a win-win situation for themselves. Sprint at least treats it like a competition and provides a lower price.
    Is this thread for real? Give me a break.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast