Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    So this week I realized that turning the backup utility "off" really improves my battery life (coupled with everything else...lowering brightness, turning off gps, etc.).

Well, the frustrating part is this: if I power down the phone or reset it, backuo will always turn itself back on. Is this a default setting with the device to where it always tries to turn backup on if its off?
    Does it really make that much difference? I thought the backup on ran once a day?
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    Does it really make that much difference? I thought the backup on ran once a day?
    It does, which is why Palm wants default to be on. Plus the fact that many people with Smartphones are too lazy/don't know any better and don't back up the phones to their PC's, so Palm is trying to eliminate the "Did you back up your phone before it broke?" "No, didn't know that was necessary. Can you still get my numbers?" problem.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    The backup does NOT waste battery, trust me I have tested this out. It only backsup one time which than it uses battery but nothing to even notice ANY difference.

What kills battery the mosr when the pre is used is the bloody brightness of the screen! It is way to bright for INDOOR use. I hope palm figures out how to lower the brightness much much lower.

The 2nd thing that uses battery is anything that syncs frequently like google contacts,calendar and so forth. I'm going to see if leaving on locations and gps makes any difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preman View Post

What kills battery the mosr when the pre is used is the bloody brightness of the screen! It is way to bright for INDOOR use. I hope palm figures out how to lower the brightness much much lower.
    I agree, not to get too off-topic, but there are times I wish there was an option to make the screen even dimmer and that would definitely have a positive impact on battery life as opposed to disabling backup.

In regards to the backup, at least mine does it somewhere around 3am so at night mine is always on the charger, even if the backup did drain lots of battery, for most users leaving their phone on the charger overnight wouldn't notice any difference.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preman View Post
    The backup does NOT waste battery, trust me I have tested this out. It only backsup one time which than it uses battery but nothing to even notice ANY difference.

The 2nd thing that uses battery is anything that syncs frequently like google contacts,calendar and so forth. I'm going to see if leaving on locations and gps makes any difference.
    This may be for most people, but trust me, I turned backup off and my battery went from about 10-12% to 5-7% per hour