Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 34 of 34
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    Umm, my original first generation iPhone has that feature. I am glad Palm copied it though.
    The iPhone 2g or first gen only dimmed the screen according to your screen settings. The 3g was the second gen and the one that introduced the proximity sensor. If we going to jump on who copied what, apple just copied every feature Palm has had for over 10 years. For instance, touch screen, stereo bluetooth, copy/paste, etc.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Tap the clock instead (away from the sensor), it brings up the same menu. So now it is perfect for you
    haha I didn't think of that, ill try that next time thanks.
  3. #23  
    You took two posts to say the wrong thing?

    The first gen HAS a proximity sensor. You put the phone to your ear and the screen turns off... that it is what a proximity sensor does.

    Also, I the display goes to black when the sensor is activated. Not dimmed... black. And before you say otherwise to show your iphone expertise, I just double checked on my 1st gen.



    Quote Originally Posted by MikeYuse0406 View Post
    The iPhone 2g or first gen only dimmed the screen according to your screen settings. The 3g was the second gen and the one that introduced the proximity sensor. If we going to jump on who copied what, apple just copied every feature Palm has had for over 10 years. For instance, touch screen, stereo bluetooth, copy/paste, etc.
  4. #24  
    I'm with everyone else.. the first gen definitely had the proximity sensor. I remember, because a friend of mine had one, I had to use his phone to get my Centro activated and I remember playing with it while I was on hold.

    And no, it wasn't a 3g. They were still not even close to being out yet.
  5. #25  
    I had the original iphone and the iphone 3g. The original iPhone most certainly DID have a proximity sensor. You sir are wrong!
  6. #26  
    Geez nothing can be pointed out without having to mention that the iphone did it....so annoying!
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by diyeiogt View Post
    Geez nothing can be pointed out without having to mention that the iphone did it....so annoying!
    That is the phone that this one is constantly compared with, so it kinda comes with the territory.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by diyeiogt View Post
    Geez nothing can be pointed out without having to mention that the iphone did it....so annoying!
    I personally like to accurately know which company came up with which feature so I can get an idea of which company is the most innovative.

    In the same vein I have to laugh when people say that Palm copied the user interface of the iPhone. The iPhone looks pretty much like the old PalmOS except with higher resolution graphics and a black background instead of white. Because of this and other similarities it seems pretty clear to me that Apple has copied more from Palm than Palm has copied from Apple. (And don't bring up the earlier Apple Newton. Palm clearly did not copy much from the overly-complicated Newton but Apple clearly copied the simplicity of the PalmOS for their iPhone.)
  9. IMethos's Avatar
    Posts
    487 Posts
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    #29  
    another great feature of the phone is i have NEVER accidentally dialed someone from my pocket/side case...since only the top buttons wake it up and there are no hard buttons that intiate a call.
  10. #30  
    If you want to go back far enough, I will let Wikipedia tell you who came up with the first GUI and who came up with the first commercial product to bring GUI to the masses...

    History of the graphical user interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    I personally like to accurately know which company came up with which feature so I can get an idea of which company is the most innovative.

    In the same vein I have to laugh when people say that Palm copied the user interface of the iPhone. The iPhone looks pretty much like the old PalmOS except with higher resolution graphics and a black background instead of white. Because of this and other similarities it seems pretty clear to me that Apple has copied more from Palm than Palm has copied from Apple. (And don't bring up the earlier Apple Newton. Palm clearly did not copy much from the overly-complicated Newton but Apple clearly copied the simplicity of the PalmOS for their iPhone.)
  11. #31  
    I don't need Wikipedia. There have been GUIs for as far back as there have been computers, but the first recognizably modern style GUI was done by Xerox's PARC, not Apple. It's notable how completely Apple ripped off the Xerox GUI first for their Lisa and then for their MacIntosh. And it's of course ironic that Apple later made it a habit of suing anybody that even came close to mimicking "their" UI...

    As far as bringing GUIs to the masses? That wouldn't be Apple that would be Microsoft. Apple was a tiny niche player until well after GUIs became popular.

    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    If you want to go back far enough, I will let Wikipedia tell you who came up with the first GUI and who came up with the first commercial product to bring GUI to the masses...

    History of the graphical user interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  12. #32  
    Okay, this thread is deteriorating. Let's get back to topic. The topic is: Great Pre feature that gets no love here.
    Do you agree or disagree about the feature getting no love? Is there another feature that you think is great, but it get's no love.
    OP, let's keep the people on topic and maybe we can get away from these contests. Everyone who see's someone trying to take over the thread to discuss another topic, don't respond, simply remind them of the topic.

    Having said all that, I haven't noticed that feature. I use my bluetooth headset so haven't had occasion to notice. But I'm glad to know about it. The feature I like best gets plenty of play and notice, it's the alert system.

    Because I'm a girl, I also like clicking the power button and dropping the phone in my purse w/o having to worry about mis-dials. Good thread OP.
  13. #33  
    Heard that, bdhu2001.

    Yeah, I like not accidentally dialing people in the middle of the night too! (Always seemed to happen when I was drinking...)

    I don't think the keyboard gets enough love. I can type great on it, it's fast, it's easy and I have no idea why people keep griping about not having an on-screen keyboard when they have the real thing.
  14. #34  
    i can charge it through my xbox! hell yeah!
    just found out a minute ago!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions