Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Ok, here is what happened:

I called Amazon.com because one of my orders had gotten screwed up. During the call, I had to get some info from an e-mail that they had sent me. So I fired up the e-mail program, which worked just fine. So I was talking to the rep about the e-mail, and then I tapped a link in the e-mail which opened up the web browser.

At this point, I thought, damn, I must have dropped the call, but no she said I am still here. So I read the web page, talked to her on the line, and then ended the call. During this time, I am flipping between cards and all that.

After the call was over, it occured to me that I should not have been able to do this. I had heard that sprint does not allow data access and calls at the same time. Let me say that I had the browser open, and I asked her are you still there, and she said yes. BTW, the pre was NOT on wifi at this time.

Later, I was on a call, and then tried to open the browser, and was told that the network was not available! Huh? What changed?

Carl
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    WiFi? Supposedly the data connection will still work thru wifi, but not thru Sprint.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    you had wifi on
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Ok, yeah, I thought was that it was wifi, but no it was not. I placed the call at the office, and due to stupid reasons, our department does not get access to the wifi network. Also, I had turned off wifi to conserve battery.

So I still don't understand how all this was possible.

Carl
    Could it be that maybe you were looking at a webpage that was in your browsers cache?
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    Could it be that maybe you were looking at a webpage that was in your browsers cache?
    That's what I was thinking as well. The Pre is definitely capable of what you speak of, however Sprint's network technology does not allow for this to be possible.
    SCH-A890 --> VX 9800 "V" --> VX 9900 "enV" --> Blackberry 8330 --> iPhone 3G --> Palm Pre --> iPhone 3GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Wynd View Post
    That's what I was thinking as well. The Pre is definitely capable of what you speak of, however Sprint's network technology does not allow for this to be possible.
    Sprint's network should be capable, at least the parts that have been upgraded to EV-DO Rev A. Rev A has enough bandwidth to route calls through VOIP to allow for simultaneous data and voice. It's a shame that Sprint doesn't implement VOIP though.
    I have had the same thing happen many times. On a call and need to pull up an e-mail. Or send one. If I was at home I was thinking it was WIFI but in a few call were in a park. Text messages also comes through.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Are you able to be on a call and sent a text message? I was able to talk and send text messages on my Treo 755 but I can't on my Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by max1nut View Post
    Are you able to be on a call and sent a text message? I was able to talk and send text messages on my Treo 755 but I can't on my Pre.
    Yes, you should be able to send txt's while on the phone. SMS uses voice channels and not data.
    I dont see why we shouldnt be able to multitask on the radios.

Calls and texts go through 1xRTT (Vision), while data goes through EV-DO Rev A (Power Vision).
    Ev-DO Rev. 0 and Rev. A do NOT allow for simultaneous voice and data. That standard belongs to Ev-DV, which was never implemented due to hardware requirements on the tower end. Either WiFi was on, or data was cached.

With Ev, you operate a separate radio. It's most likely an authentication/session or simultaneous transmission/DSSS overlap issue at the tower that keeps you from simultaneously using your Ev and 1xRTT/voice radios.
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    What if you are browsing the web using data and someone calls you? will it stop data and allow you to take a call or does it send the call to voicemail?
    Pre
    ppcgeeks.com ---- ajk511
    Quote Originally Posted by ByteMaster0 View Post
    Ev-DO Rev. 0 and Rev. A do NOT allow for simultaneous voice and data.
    Rev A can but is not set up to allow for voice through VOIP, essentially allowing for simultaneous voice and data

Quote Originally Posted by ajk511 View Post
    What if you are browsing the web using data and someone calls you? will it stop data and allow you to take a call or does it send the call to voicemail?
    It will stop data and allow you to take the call.
    Quote Originally Posted by ByteMaster0 View Post
    Ev-DO Rev. 0 and Rev. A do NOT allow for simultaneous voice and data. That standard belongs to Ev-DV, which was never implemented due to hardware requirements on the tower end. Either WiFi was on, or data was cached.
    Agreed.

And if you need further proof, call up some weather hotline and then try opening up a web page. It won't work and it will ask to turn on WiFi
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products