Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    OK, maybe this isn't new for some of you - but it was new to me.

I have a USB and Aux input/output on my car stereo (Clarion Dxz385USB). It had never occurred to me to see if the USB from this would charge my Pre. Turns out it does (still need to see if the voltage is safe though)...

Then, I wondered why I shouldn't be able to loop the audio playback back into my stereo Aux input... seems like there is not reason as it sounds great. So, music while charging my Pre... yeah.

Then, I wondered if Pandora might be a good option for listening while driving... well, as it was taking Pandora forever to get running from my parking spot I decided this was a no go... but what about video? Man, I flipped on a 24 episode I had installed - had her playin' thru the car speakers and it was great. Of course, not great for a driver - but with a 3-6 ft. aux cable it makes a nice handheld video for a passenger with great sound...or, with an ipod/Pre holder a nice stationary vid system...

So to recap... mostly happy I can easily charge my Pre from fixed "hardware" in my car... and, loved the video/music playback thru the car... now, I just need Audible playback (for audible audiobooks)....

Just thought I'd share this for any with USB/Aux stereo units....

Cheers..
    Quote Originally Posted by jtiis View Post
    OK, maybe this isn't new for some of you - but it was new to me.

I have a USB and Aux input/output on my car stereo (Clarion Dxz385USB). It had never occurred to me to see if the USB from this would charge my Pre. Turns out it does (still need to see if the voltage is safe though)...

Then, I wondered why I shouldn't be able to loop the audio playback back into my stereo Aux input... seems like there is not reason as it sounds great. So, music while charging my Pre... yeah.

Then, I wondered if Pandora might be a good option for listening while driving... well, as it was taking Pandora forever to get running from my parking spot I decided this was a no go... but what about video? Man, I flipped on a 24 episode I had installed - had her playin' thru the car speakers and it was great. Of course, not great for a driver - but with a 3-6 ft. aux cable it makes a nice handheld video for a passenger with great sound...or, with an ipod/Pre holder a nice stationary vid system...

So to recap... mostly happy I can easily charge my Pre from fixed "hardware" in my car... and, loved the video/music playback thru the car... now, I just need Audible playback (for audible audiobooks)....

Just thought I'd share this for any with USB/Aux stereo units....

Cheers..
    USB is supposed to be a standard 5 volts.

BTW, the plug in your car, is it just supposed to supply power or does it do data things as well?
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    When plugged in it give the charge only, usb or media options - didn't try the media as there's no itunes to do anything with, USB gave the USB icon - but nothing I know I can do with it when hooked up to a stereo unit... just having the charging going on made me happy. So, 1 out of 3 suits me just fine.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    What radio is this?
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    "my car stereo (Clarion Dxz385USB)"
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Thanks!
    So you get the audio playback from videos, but no video?(obviously, HU limited) But do you, or anyone else know if there is a way to play video/pre onscreen using coax-->3.5mm jack?

Very nice info jtiss, very much appreciated!

I'll be able to hopefully share tips/tricks on the 17th
    Wow, that's pretty cool
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    The power that is supplied from a USB port is only .5 amps. That is half the 1 amp put out by your wall charger.
    I guess it is due to the strong sprint signal I get in South Florida, but I mostly have Pandora running while driving. When I had the iPhone, before the 3.0 update, I used the USB port in my 2009 Fusion SEL to charge the iPhone and listen to the iPod, and used the 3.5mm jack to listen to Pandora. After the 3.0 update, I was able to do everything via bluetooth.

Same goes for the pre, I only use the usb port to charge the phone until I get a car charger. However, I listen to everything in my Pre via bluetooth through my car speakers. I listen to Pandora, Music player, Videos, even the ringtone I have sounds through the speakers when a phone call comes in. It's pretty cool to be able to do everything through the bluetooth technology. No cables of any kind and the battery holds up pretty well.
    I just bought a new car stereo (Kenwood DPX503) with both aux and usb ports. I also have bluetooth, so I don't need to use either port for phone or music. I have used the aux port for gps and it plays the driving instructions through the car speakers. (I also love the sound of the swoosh through the car speakers when you flick a card away.)

I tried the usb port and I can charge through it. I can also play music through the usb port, but I couldn't see what I was playing because the big black battery was on the Pre screen. It was easier to load about 25 gb of music on a flash drive and listen to that.

I'm loving my Pre and my new car audio system.