Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    While I haven't done this with the Pre yet, I went on trips with my Treo 700p to Hong Kong, Taiwan and China for a few times before and they always work as soon as you turn the phone on (despite the Sprint CS telling me that I had to activate international roaming 1st before I could do that).
    However, I was in Taipei, Taiwan this past December and no matter where I went, I couldn't get any signal at all. This led me to believe they have probably taken down their CDMA network, because I had actually used the Treo to make calls over there in prior trips.
    And to answer the EVDO question, I only got 1x speed back then.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hon View Post
    Free wifi spots are few though paid wifi spots everywhere.
    Now if you only had a Skype app.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cl191 View Post
    However, I was in Taipei, Taiwan this past December and no matter where I went, I couldn't get any signal at all. This led me to believe they have probably taken down their CDMA network, because I had actually used the Treo to make calls over there in prior trips.
    To my knowledge, most of Taiwan is still covered by CDMA-2000 networks.
    Taiwan has CDMA2000, WCDMA (GSM) and PHS (Japan system). CDMA2000 will not work in Vietnam and you get spotty coverage in Thailand. Of the places I have been to, CDMA2000 will work in China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea and Japan.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    I hope you're using those wifi spots you were talking about to post, right? Did Sprint offer you an unlimited data roaming plan, or just voice?

If not, be careful to turn off data roaming, because cloud-based phones like the Pre are constantly pulling and pushing data from the internet even when you think you're not. The mythbusters guys was using a USB modem, so he was accessingly the internet deliberately.

If you think you are surfing sparingly, you gotta know that the Synergy aspect of WebOS is constantly polling the web.

One of the iPhone's unique features, visual voicemail, uses data, not voice. iPhoneys who've left data roaming enabled and failed to turn off visual voicemail have gotten a big surprise in their monthly billing.
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cl191 View Post
    China just had EVDO network covered recently.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    To my knowledge, most of Taiwan is still covered by CDMA-2000 networks.
    Interesting, I was there in December. The 1st thing I did when I landed in Taoyuan International Airport was pull the Treo out and tried to make a call, but couldn't find any signal. So I think the coverage may be sort of spotty?
    Quote Originally Posted by Darknight View Post
    Had no idea. I always thought CDMA was North-America only. Learned something new today!
    Actually most of the world uses CDMA in conjunction with GSM. Its just Europe and Australia that use GSM only.

CDG : Worldwide : CDMA Worldwide
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  9. hon
    Quote Originally Posted by oooocoooo View Post
    Does your pre works in EVDO?
    Sorry, did not pay attention of that in Shanghai. The city I'm in not updated to EVDO yet.

I'll check that when I go to Beijing in a few days.
  10. hon
    Here in Beijing on my Pre.

Data roming not available for some reason, so can't find out if evdo. Btw, data rate is $2 per mb

Cdma coverage is great. I went to moutainous countryside, surprised to checked out signal

Most hotels have free wifi. Twitter still blocked though

Backup and updates through wifi is manual. App Cat avail
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12