Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Dear Palm,

The "dear Palm" posts on this thread are annoying and some people can't differentiate between basic and additional features. So, just keep doing what you're doing and improving your entire suite of OEM apps so that with each revision I have a new reason to love my Pre even more.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    The Pre music player does have a "slider." Touch the top to switch from album art view to progress bar view. Then hold down the forward and back buttons to seek forward and back.
    I understand that Palm can make a slider. The Pre has usable sliders in a number of apps. I want the Pre to work at least as well as an iPod. That screen in the OP is exactly how the iPhone/iTouch has worked for years.

If you are going to release an "innovative new design" you should at least be able to do the basics from years ago.

The music player that the Pre has is like announcing that you have a new innovative computer and it not being as good as a 286 from 1984.

- Craig
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    The Pre music player does have a "slider." Touch the top to switch from album art view to progress bar view. Then hold down the forward and back buttons to seek forward and back.
    No offense but thats not a slider, that's fast-forward. And there is HUGE difference for what they do for both user and media because finding 20:36 exactly in a podcast is pretty tough on a Pre.

The new 3.0 update adds some really cool things to the scrub bar that I hope Palm "borrows" soon.
    1) Horizontal dragging is for quickly jumping around a track, but vertical dragging gives precise movement within the track.
    2) 30-sec rewind. Just like tivo, it comes in handy when you miss something
    3) Quick speed control by tapping to get 1/2x, 1x, 2x playback. I listen to a lot of audiobooks and sometimes it comes in handy
    Developers write apps. Why aren't you making comments of preferences to the guy who's asked for comments and has already created a music player? His thread is New Music app in the works - Now with VIDEO PREVIEWhttp://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...o-preview.html
    Last edited by bdhu2001; 07/07/2009 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Link broken
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    No offense but thats not a slider, that's fast-forward. And there is HUGE difference for what they do for both user and media because finding 20:36 exactly in a podcast is pretty tough on a Pre.
    The new 3.0 update adds some really cool things to the scrub bar that I hope Palm "borrows" soon.
    1) Horizontal dragging is for quickly jumping around a track, but vertical dragging gives precise movement within the track.
    2) 30-sec rewind. Just like tivo, it comes in handy when you miss something
    3) Quick speed control by tapping to get 1/2x, 1x, 2x playback. I listen to a lot of audiobooks and sometimes it comes in handy
    I also would love love these features.

If you are the last one to market, a couple years late, you at least need to be able to be a "me-too" product matching the current technology.

Ideally you would match the current technology and even have innovations that go beyond.

If you can't even claim me-too, how do you sustain a two-year late release?

- Craig
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    Developers write apps. Why aren't you making comments of preferences to the guy who's asked for comments and has already created a music player? His thread is New Music app in the works - Now with VIDEO PREVIEWhttp://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...o-preview.html
    I am posting these thoughts in that webOS developer thread as well:

Here, here, here, etc.

I am pretty sure that many regular users never go to the developer forum normally though. And I am not sure that developers have the time to dig through all the there posts in the main area either. So I post there as well.

- Craig
  7.    #27  

I see what you mean but that is not a slider.

You can click anywhere along the slider to jump to that spot. So if it is a long intro and you want to skip it, just click about where you want to go.

If you are listening to a book on tape, you can skip a section very easily.

On an audio podcast you can jump back an hear a previous section again very easily.

Because a slider is graphical, it is incredily easy to use a slider. That is why almost any touch screen device that has a music player has had a slider for the past 2 or 3 years.

- Craig
    I couldnt agree more. I listen to Howard Stern all of the time and when you have a 4 hour long track not having a slider sucks. The FF is no good
    There is no spoon
    Two major areas of feedback (in addition to the slider)

1) Keep my podcasts separate from songs in the list, so I don't have podcasts pop up on shuffle when I'm listening to music.
    2) Remember where I am in podcasts, so if I get to work and I'm only halfway done with it, I don't need to keep the music app open all day just to resume listening to it on my ride home (or have to use the FFWD to find the spot I left off).
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinde View Post
    I see what you mean but that is not a slider.

You can click anywhere along the slider to jump to that spot. So if it is a long intro and you want to skip it, just click about where you want to go.

If you are listening to a book on tape, you can skip a section very easily.

On an audio podcast you can jump back an hear a previous section again very easily.

Because a slider is graphical, it is incredily easy to use a slider. That is why almost any touch screen device that has a music player has had a slider for the past 2 or 3 years.
    I agree that being able to grab and move a slider is better than the implementation they have now.

As far as what they do have now, maybe you can add it to your excellent PDF. I bet there are many Pre users who have no idea about the progress bar view and the seek forward and back functions.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Shake to Shuffle

As much as non-Apple fans like to make fun of the feature, if you actually use it then it's extremely useful. Skipping tracks on ANY touchscreen device is a pain because the screen is usually off which means you have to 1) turn on the screen, 2) unlock the device, 3) pull up the media app/bar, 4) press skip, 5) press skip again (how did that get in my playlist), 6) press skip AGAIN (I am so sick of John Mayer), 7) press skip again...

I've learned to deal with the cruddy Pre media player but sometimes I use my old iPhone w/3.0 and that shake to shuffle comes in real handy. Hopefully Palm has a cool screen-less idea on how to skip tracks because we definitely need one.
    PocketTunes where are you?
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenjxn View Post
    PocketTunes where are you?
    I don't know, but I tend to prefer OEM applications and I would love to see Palm get their Music player right before I start messing with a 3rd party.
  14. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Shake to Shuffle

As much as non-Apple fans like to make fun of the feature, if you actually use it then it's extremely useful. Skipping tracks on ANY touchscreen device is a pain because the screen is usually off which means you have to 1) turn on the screen, 2) unlock the device, 3) pull up the media app/bar, 4) press skip, 5) press skip again (how did that get in my playlist), 6) press skip AGAIN (I am so sick of John Mayer), 7) press skip again...

I've learned to deal with the cruddy Pre media player but sometimes I use my old iPhone w/3.0 and that shake to shuffle comes in real handy. Hopefully Palm has a cool screen-less idea on how to skip tracks because we definitely need one.
    I want a phone, not an etch-a-sketch.
    -

And yes, a scrub bar is sorely needed. I too hope for upgrades to the native music application.
    Quote Originally Posted by dsjr2006 View Post
    I don't know, but I tend to prefer OEM applications and I would love to see Palm get their Music player right before I start messing with a 3rd party.
    That seems counter-intuitive.

If the native functionality was on-point, why WOULD you start messing with a 3rd party?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12