1.    #1  
    In the last few years, I've grown to love Sprint-Nextel. I have had great coverage and have few complaints. When I had my Nextel i355, it had Profiles built into the firmware that would allow you to choose up to five contacts who could call through when everyone else could not. I upgraded to the hybrid ic902 and lost this functionality, and with this new Palm Pre, I am still missing out on this simple option.

You may say to yourself, "Why do I need to filter phone calls? I can easily decline whoever I want to." For me, the need is definately there. I work at night and so I sleep in the daytime. There is only one person I want to allow to wake me up when I'm asleep, and that's my girlfriend. Anyone else can wait -- but I'll wake up for her. Or let's say you are working in the office on an important project. You are waiting for an important call from an associate or team of coworkers, but you don't want to constantly be bothered with calls from people who will just waste your time. You could continually decline phone calls, or instead, you could set up your phone so you never hear these calls.

It's actually a simple method that has probably been used on other phones in the past and requires no modification or hard work. I used Audacity (I could have used Windows Sound Recorder -- sndrec32.exe) to create a 30-second mp3 file that is completely silent. Then I assign whatever ringtone I want to my girlfriend or business associate or whoever I want to be able to call through. When I go to sleep, or wish not to be bothered, I simply assign my default ringtone to Silence.mp3. Then my phone still keeps track of who's calling me, but I never hear it ring. I can turn off the vibrate function if it's still disturbing me as well. Anyone with an assigned ringtone will ring through while everyone else will not be heard.

Hope this is a help to all who miss out on that Profile functionality that's so desperately needed in a busy work environment. It is my desire to see true Profile functionality implemented in a future firmware version of the Pre, but until that becomes a reality, I can settle for this easy workaround.

I have attached Silence.mp3 as a compressed (zip) file.

~ Gilligan
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Gilligan3816; 07/04/2009 at 05:54 PM.
    I guess if you like ringtones this is a reasonable solution, I am a vibrate only kind of guy and this doesn't help much...
    Thanks good temporary fix. I hope to see CallBlock for the PRE.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
    Thanks good temporary fix. I hope to see CallBlock for the PRE.
    Considering how available the code is, it seems like it would be easy to have a DoNotRing list that is user customizable and that the phone app would check against when calls come in. Then again, we were hoping for a simple list like that for notifications, too, and we have yet to see that.
    Originally posted by mdmogren:
    I guess if you like ringtones this is a reasonable solution, I am a vibrate only kind of guy and this doesn't help much...
    Wouldn't flicking the switch to vibrate already work for you? It puts every call o vibrate w/o distinction.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    Wouldn't flicking the switch to vibrate already work for you? It puts every call o vibrate w/o distinction.
    What if I only want certain callers to vibrate and ignore other callers?
    I like the idea of getting ringtones in a ZIP file. Anyone else have simple ringotones that are not songs. I hate song ringtones. Can someone send me a zip file of some simple cool ringtones?