Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone if it is possible the grey button will be a trackball in the near future? When I use the web and try to scroll on pages with lots of links I tend to select a link accidently. If a trackball was present I could scroll the page and select a link when ready.
    Sorry - this is not possible with the current hardware.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    The button is not a trackball, so how could it be used as a trackball?
    I also heard in a future software update that they are going to make the screen larger as well. Can't wait !!
    There is no spoon
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knee Dragger View Post
    I also heard in a future software update that they are going to make the screen larger as well. Can't wait !!
    I think that update also makes the phone smaller! AMAZING!
    ..Love it..
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Actually it is somewhat possible considering the area around the button is touch sensitive. It could work in a similar way to a trackball.
    Even if it was possible, why? It would be a step backwards
    There is no spoon
    Why not use the gesture area in portrait mode to scroll? It acts like a page up/down when you swipe it.
    If you browse in landscape you can use the gesture area to scroll up/down.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    Agreed
    Yes, but some type of navigational key for precise navigation and selection can be essential. What are the top complaints on the UI of the iPhone? Obviously, the Pre addresses number one with a real keyboard. I don't think there's a perfect (for all) device out there. I believe we will see quite a few devices with webOS that will vary in hardware features. I also think we will see one that has all the hardware keyboard and navigation we want, with a large screen size to boot. Will that device be as small and slick as the Pre? I doubt it, but as a mobile worker, it will still be better than carrying around a notebook.
    Why can't the mobile device manufactures get that most want a touch screen and a front face QWERTY?
    I never have any difficulties with scrolling (i.e.: accidentally hitting links). I think scrolling with the gesture area (in landscape) is very intuitive as it the fingertip scrolling. Personally, I think a trackball wouldn't be any kind of advantage. But, that's just my take
  14.    #14  
    never thought of landscape view. i'll have to try it.
    A trackball would be nice! then i wouldnt need 2 hands for everything i do on the pre!!
    I don't thik that a trackball would help, but I don't think the pre needs the button as it is. With the swipe up gesture you never use the button.
    I miss my D-Pad from my HTC Touch for sure...
  18. d94
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    i wish the button didnt exist and it was just more trackpad area!
    maybe in the next revision
    palm pro > visor > m100 > visor prism > clie sl30 > zire 71 > dell X5 > toshiba E755 > clie NX70 > ipaq 2200 > Treo 700w (verizon) > Treo 700wx (sprint) > Treo 755p (sprint) > HTC Mogul > HTC Diamond > HTC Touch Pro > Pre
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    If you want a trackball.... go buy a Blackberry...
    Palm V -->m505 -->Tungsten T3-->T5->Centro-->Pre!
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvigilante1 View Post
    Does anyone if it is possible the grey button will be a trackball in the near future? When I use the web and try to scroll on pages with lots of links I tend to select a link accidently. If a trackball was present I could scroll the page and select a link when ready.
    that would actually suck!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast