1.    #1  
    I had to switch my launch pre out yesterday because Sprint International suggested it after I couldn't get my pre to work in the Carribean. Anyway... I noticed a couple of differences between my old phone and my new one. One is that when my old phone was closed shut and I received a text, all I would get was a audible signal. I was even thinking, I wish it would light up... well the new phone does light up even when the slider is closed. Another thing I noticed was that with launch pre, I could not get the one touch dialing to work via keypad if my phone app was open. It had to be closed and then I could press and hold a key for one touch to work. Well with the new one, one touch dialing via keypad works while the phone app. is open. Has anyone experienced these same differences if you have had to return your launch pre for a recent one?
    phone always lit up and was able to use the keypad with my launch pre
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    I hope what you're saying is true. Sounds like Palm is listening and making minor tweaks and shoring up the hardware. This makes my "wait til Aug 1" strategy (to buy a Pre) all the more worthwhile.

Can anybody else verify?
    All of those things sound like OS fixes, except I'm pretty sure they all worked for me before, don't sound like a hardware issue, which is all a new Pre would fix...
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Why Aug 1?
    I think these are options. Speed dial doesn't work on the Pre in the phone app if you have the option for searching contacts as you type turned on. The default config is to have that off--maybe you changed it on your old Pre and the new one has it off by default.

I can't confirm at the moment, but I think the screen lighting up comes from having notifications on the lock screen.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Its true, the phone did always light up giving you a brief glimpse (like 2 secs or something like that) of what the alert was. Wish it was a bit longer grrrr, as for the one touch with dialpad open.....well yup, my launch day pre does the one speed dial with the phone app open. Sounds like that was either one buggy phone you have or I have one amazing Pre. Ok ok, I do have an amazing Pre but still, that was a buggy phone you got and glad to see its working properly
  8.    #8  
    well, I know that after days of trying to get my phone to accept a call in the caribbean, sprint said it might actually be a problem with the phone itself. Now that I am experiencing these differences, it makes me think they were right.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Speed dial doesn't work on the Pre in the phone app if you have the option for searching contacts as you type turned on.
    Thanks for that tidbit. I hadn't made the connection. No wonder I haven't dialed 911 accidentally lately (twice the first night)!
    I JUST returned from St. Maarten. I was disappointed because Sprint's website stated that they had roaming agreements there, and that as long as I signed up for international calling (which I did) I should be able to make calls. I was there a week (on both the Dutch & French sides) and never made a connection.

Did you ever get it to work? What island are you on?
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
  11.    #11  
    I was in the Cayman Islands, mainly in the George Town area. Before I left I made sure my phone would work and signed up for unlimited roaming data, (pro-rated for four days). I was able to make a call, send and receive emails with no problem, but I could never receive a call. Sprint International worked on it for a while and they are the ones that told me to exchange the phone. Did you speak to Sprint International? Another item I just discoved is that on my old phone whenever I got an audible text notification (no visual) I would have to wake my phone, then unlock it to view the text. With this phone, I not only get the visual notification but if I don't read it in time I can wake the phone and without unlocking it I can read the text, it sits on top of the lock icon. Very handy. Have you experienced any of items I have written about on this thread with your phone?
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    As far as one touch dialing, it works when the dial card is open when you have "Search while typing" is turned off.
  13.    #13  
    Oh, okay,thanks for the one touch dialing tip. I think I did have it activated on my old phone. I just tried switching it on the new phone and i'm experiencing the same results as on the launch date phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by palmit View Post
    I was in the Cayman Islands, mainly in the George Town area. Before I left I made sure my phone would work and signed up for unlimited roaming data, (pro-rated for four days). I was able to make a call, send and receive emails with no problem, but I could never receive a call. Sprint International worked on it for a while and they are the ones that told me to exchange the phone. Did you speak to Sprint International? Another item I just discoved is that on my old phone whenever I got an audible text notification (no visual) I would have to wake my phone, then unlock it to view the text. With this phone, I not only get the visual notification but if I don't read it in time I can wake the phone and without unlocking it I can read the text, it sits on top of the lock icon. Very handy. Have you experienced any of items I have written about on this thread with your phone?
    I spoke to the regular Sprint customer support department, not Sprint International. I'll call them, as I know I'll be in the islands again.

As far as waking the phone and displaying the notification above the lock button, my Pre has been doing that since I got it (launch party Pre). Maybe it was just a glitch in the software. What update version did you have on there?
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Got back from Nassau and phone in roaming mode worked fine. I don't remember signing up for anything special when I got the Pre though.