Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I decided to stop at the Sprint store on the way home yesterday...wanted to play with the Pre for the first time.

Wow. This phone is awesome.
    I switched from my Treo Pro and the only thing I am missing is my EAS PIN for work email. Hopefully they fix this before my 30 day trial ends..

However, as awesome as this phone is - I need to really justify the price and stability. I already have one dead pixel and have had the phone less than 24 hours. Yes, I paid $549.

Coming from WinMo, this phone is night and day. I love Pandora, and surfing the web is a dream compared to IE6.

I just dont know though, I just dont know.

Anyone else have some of these thoughts? Awesome phone, just a little nervous about it?
    I was a little nervous to when I first got mine. Thought I had to baby it. But after my daughter has knocked it on the floor and I dropped it a couple times this thing holds up well.

It has been perfect for me. No crashes no reboots, it jut works. Congrats on teh new phone.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Can you see the stuck pixel when you browse the web or use other apps?
    I have TWO stuck/dead pixels and I only see them when I swap batteries.
    Once I swap the battery I turn it on, the palm logo comes up and that is the only time I see the pixels. Once its up and running I don't see them at all.

So in wondering if people with bad pixels are actually seeing them when using apps?
    I guess it also depends on the COLOR of the pixels?

I also wanted to buy the treo pro, but man the pre makes it look bad in every way.
    I have been a ppc guy since the 1st ipaqs, I can never go back to ppc or even iphones or any other platform. If you can't see ur bad pixels when using apps don't worry, things could have been worse. Use it for at least 25 days, by than better pres will be out (built better) than you can jusy ask for a replacement.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Or I return it, wait a few more months and then they should be solid. Believe me, I plan on playing with this for at least a few more weeks.

The pixel is black. It is dead. No way around it, dead as dead can be. It is on the screen at all times. apps, pandora, website, background, etc...

I guess it wouldnt bother me so much if I had the phone for a few years and a pixel or two died. But less than 24 hours? Come on.

The Treo Pro IS a solid phone, a very good WinMo phone - but comparing WinMo to WebOS is apples to oranges.

I want to keep this phone, but let's see how the next few weeks hold up.
    Don't be scared by all the negatives, if you look at some of the polls there are far less people with serious problems than those without.

I don't consider stuck or dead pixels a serious problem.
    I have two dead pixels that I have to look for in order to see.. I never notice them.
    Then again I had one on my old iPhone as well, just the nature of electronics.

This thing has been rock solid for me since day one!

Just don't give in to all the hysteria and enjoy your phone!
    Return it close to your refund period end date. Demand a new phone and check it THOROUGHLY before you leave the store. Until then, enjoy the ride with it's ups and downs. It's a great phone, but not without issues. Don't accept hardware problems, software can be fixed OTA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preman View Post
    Can you see the stuck pixel when you browse the web or use other apps?
    I have TWO stuck/dead pixels and I only see them when I swap batteries.
    Once I swap the battery I turn it on, the palm logo comes up and that is the only time I see the pixels. Once its up and running I don't see them at all.

So in wondering if people with bad pixels are actually seeing them when using apps?
    I guess it also depends on the COLOR of the pixels?

I also wanted to buy the treo pro, but man the pre makes it look bad in every way.
    I have been a ppc guy since the 1st ipaqs, I can never go back to ppc or even iphones or any other platform. If you can't see ur bad pixels when using apps don't worry, things could have been worse. Use it for at least 25 days, by than better pres will be out (built better) than you can jusy ask for a replacement.
    One stuck at the loading screen (Palm Logo)...other than that I never notice it. I wouldn't have noticed it now if not for the fact that I put an invisible shield on. One pixel vs. an otherwise perfect phone...no brainer.
    Go Knights
    Yeah, give it a chance. I've only had mine since 7/2, so I'm no expert yet, but so far no complaint.

Battery is lasting 2.5 days, calls are clearer than my BB Curve, getting true MMS, Web terrific, SMS smooth, cards working as advertised.

Again, still learning but very satisfied.
    Quote Originally Posted by georges326 View Post
    Yeah, give it a chance. I've only had mine since 7/2, so I'm no expert yet, but so far no complaint.

Battery is lasting 2.5 days, calls are clearer than my BB Curve, getting true MMS, Web terrific, SMS smooth, cards working as advertised.

Again, still learning but very satisfied.
    I agree with most of what you've said. My pre, purchase on June 26, has being working perfectly fine without any issues. I have read so many negative remarks regarding the pre; however, I have nothing by positiveness with this device.

As of the battery, how can you get 2.5 days? The batter is not as bad as people claimed it to be, but it lasts the same as all the iPhones I owned. I get about 16 hours with a mixture of use (1.5 hours of talk time, a couple hours browsing, texting, use Pandora or the Music player often when driving). The only way I could think of getting 2.5 days would be with little to no use.
    Congratulations. The Pre is an awesome device.
    I would return it. Full boat ($549 + tax) is way hefty. Ebay sells them BNIB for alot less (Craigslist too). Your TEP insurance would cover that one as well. Plus it has a dead pixel. From the threads here this seems to be normal on many Pre's. Return it on day 29. You will know then if the Pre is what you really want. Just buy it cheaper one without a dead pixel.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    guys, I have never had a stuck pixel on any phone before. Is this common for most phones or just a "learning curve" of the pre's manufacturing process?

Oh and incidentally if you ever look at apples support forum for the iphone 3gs it's full of stuck pixels and overheating threads. So don't fret pre peeps ;>

I also saw my first pre out in the wild today. Some lady was texting like mad on it while sitting out in the sun on the beach here in CT.
    I really don't understand why bad pixels are so common on this phone. I've had a treo 600, 650, 700 and 755 and had no noticeable bad pixels on any of them. LCDs are a mature technology, and this strikes me as lousy quality control, nothing more or less.