Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    OK, maybe not Sprint corporate, but my neighborhood store. I was in there checking out the Anycom Bluetooth FIPO and just asked about Pre returns. The guy seemed to hesitate. I told him I was happy with my Pre, but had read about hardware issues. He said that in fact many people had returned the Pre and most had selected some level of BlackBerry - suggesting they weren't leaving Sprint and that BB is the Sprint runner up in functionality.

I told him I was having trouble with consistent signal strength. He said it was sorta stupid that Palm configured the phone to "automatic" so that it looks around all the time for signals.

Maybe, I'll try the EVDO only mode if I can get it back to default without hassle.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    When I brougt my first pre back the salesman said the same thing...there were quite a few returns ans defects and seemed annoyed at that fact... He said this phone was important to both sprint and palm and was surprised by the quality control on the units.
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    I have not tried this myself, but others have reported that EVDO Only will set your phone to NOT receive calls or SMS. EVDO is really about data speed so I guess it is locking you into data only reception.
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    It's not "EVDO-only" the options are "Automatic" and "Sprint-only". Sprint-only mode prevents roaming for either voice or data. In Automatic mode it will search for a roaming connection when the Sprint signal is very weak. Also in Automatic mode an additional option appears to decide if you want to allow roaming for EVDO data.

IMO the biggest problem is that there is no option for "Roaming-only" as I had on the Centro. If you are in an area where the Sprint signal is weak and the roaming partner is strong it keeps trying to switch back to Sprint, then as the Sprint signal fades it switches back to roaming. This results in a constant flip flop.

Neither of these has an effect on your Sprint signal strength. That is a result of where you are located and how good the radio in your phone is. The Pre seems (to me) to get a slightly worse signal than my Centro would under the same conditions, but not a big difference.
    When I returned mine, there were two guys waiting to purchase Pres. The salesguy asked why I was returning, I told him (battery, reception, poor build, etc). This flung the door open. The two guys who were shopping were asking me a million questions about why I was returning. I was honest and gave them my opinion.

Needless to say the Sprint rep processed my return in record time. He wanted me outta there! Can't blame him b/c I was potentially hurting his sales, but I was just being upfront and honest with the people who were asking questions. I ended up smiling and said "you'll see" to the shoppers when I walked out.

I just found it funny b/c the Sprint rep was tripping over himself trying to process my return. He was moving so fast he forgot to ring in the touchstone return. It was funny.
    Oh well. Maybe I'll return when rev.B comes out (or the GSM model).
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    Why not keep the phone until "rev.B" comes out? That's what I plan on doing. Might as well become familiar with the WebOS and the device before getting it replaced.
    Its too bad those potential costumers didn't hear from the overwhelming majority of Pre owners that love this device....and why wait, the iphone is already on gsm...
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Nothing personal, but does it really matter what the local sprint store says? I think it's been pretty well proven that you shouldn't trust a local branch to speak for corporate- bet it mcdonalds or sprint. I'm sure there have been significant returns, but I don't really put much faith in anything some low level employee tells me at a sprint store...
    Quote Originally Posted by wp746911 View Post
    Nothing personal, but does it really matter what the local sprint store says? I think it's been pretty well proven that you shouldn't trust a local branch to speak for corporate- bet it mcdonalds or sprint. I'm sure there have been significant returns, but I don't really put much faith in anything some low level employee tells me at a sprint store...
    Those were my thoughts. The topic should read "Sprint employee acknowledges many returns at his store".

I don't doubt there are some hardware issues but is the assumption that what someone says at one Sprint store valid for all Sprint stores or Sprint in general?
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akarol View Post
    Why not keep the phone until "rev.B" comes out? That's what I plan on doing. Might as well become familiar with the WebOS and the device before getting it replaced.
    That's exactly what I plan to do. TEP here I come.
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    I told him I was having trouble with consistent signal strength. He said it was sorta stupid that Palm configured the phone to "automatic" so that it looks around all the time for signals.

That's how all my phones operated.
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    When i exchanged my pre because of the loose slider, they told me i was the first out of 80 people to return it and that they never read about any defects. So i asked to see his phone (pre) and i pointed out the difference and once he saw the gap on my phone, he exchanged it on the spot. I just don't get how i was the "first"
    Title should be changed. Sprint has ackowledged anything. a store empoloye said his store is getting returns. Misleading.
    Sprint stores know very little they cannot even get into most of our computer systems. The demand for the Pre is huge Sprint took them off of are Telesales line and Employees of Sprint will not even be allowed to buy or even activate a Pre on a Employee line until October. I was one of the very few to be lucky enough to get one before that went into effect. The Pre is doing great and is beating all of Sprint corportes expectations
    Quote Originally Posted by SprintRep View Post
    Employees of Sprint will not even be allowed to buy or even activate a Pre on a Employee line until October.s
    That's totally ridiculous. I'd feel more comfortable buying from a rep who actually owned a Pre him/herself. I'd be suspicious if they were singing the praises of the Pre while using a Blackberry, etc, et. all.

Shortages aren't always a bad thing. Creates artificial demand (remember the Wii...).

If I were Mr. Hesse, I'd encourage every Sprint employee to get a Pre...or do like Apple does and essentially give the device to it's employees. This would create a walking endorsement for the Pre (not to mention employees would know everything about the device).

Oh well, what do I know?
    Quote Originally Posted by edbtzy View Post
    I just don't get how i was the "first"
    why? because of all the complaints on this site?
    Many of us agree that employees are the best advertisments but it is a matter of money. Employees get the phone for $200 and free service with no restrictions. I have the Pre and I only pay $14 for service & insurance and that is because I have the premium TV. And really every employee will buy a Pre my whole office about 300 people are dieing for it. I am the only one in the building with it and I have it for about an hour a day because it is being passed around so much lol
    Quote Originally Posted by leftyman View Post
    Its too bad those potential costumers didn't hear from the overwhelming majority of Pre owners that love this device....and why wait, the iphone is already on gsm...
    Exactly!! Instead, they hear from a disgruntled user that is so entirely wrapped up in himself that he believes his experience is going to the be the same for everyone, and even departs with a "you'll see", and then comes to a Pre site to brag about it. Sorry, but the guy was being a jerk.
    LOL, 400k units sold, 390k returns. anyway, joking aside, i'm sure most people are aware of a higher than normal amount of returns?
    Part of this is, the sprint reps that don't suck will catch the defects before they let you leave. The other is Palm is still tweaking the manufacturing process, so each week is different.

@TVMA Are iPhone 3G Defect Rates Way Above Apple’s Standards? : Apple Investor in the Wilderness

I DO have my personal frustrations which have caused me to return 3 iPhones due manufacturer defects, so that now I’m on my 4th 3G iPhone!! So, I’m hoping that the 4th iPhone is a go. Here are the 4 defects:

1. Home button did not work (returned for second iPhone)
    2. Cracked Case (returned for 3rd iPhone)
    3. On/off switch depressed making it very difficult to press
    4. Earphone jack misaligned so that mute switch will not work (returned for 4th iPhone)

But these physical defects are not the only problems. On the software side, even after the 2.01 upgrade, I have the following problems:

1. Edit magnifying glass hangs or very slow
    2. Keyboard hangs on first character
    3. iPhone Backup sometimes takes 20-30 minutes
    4. Safari quits unexpectedly, a lot
    5. Many more…
    What is this? Is it a very disgruntled or unlucky iPhone3G user?

I did try and find some numbers of the failure rates of the iPhone2G but couldn't find anything quickly.

iFail 3G: Inside the iPhone launch failure with videos
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast