Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TVMA View Post
    LOL, 400k units sold, 390k returns. anyway, joking aside, i'm sure most people are aware of a higher than normal amount of returns?
    Really? What is the return rate? Actual numbers please.

I say you can't give them, because you're making things up as you go.
    Quote Originally Posted by cooneyca View Post
    I have not tried this myself, but others have reported that EVDO Only will set your phone to NOT receive calls or SMS. EVDO is really about data speed so I guess it is locking you into data only reception.
    That's what I've found too. I can make calls when it is in EVDO Only mode, but not receive them.
    This is like saying that McDonald's, the company, hates thier job because you heard a teenager who's a burger flipper said so.
    At this point it's all just speculation as to what the return rate is. I returned my Pre because of a bubble in the screen, when I asked the guy helping me at the Sprint store how the returns were, he said the Pre was no worse than any other phone they sell. I was at Bestbuy last night looking at accessories, and asked the phone geek about the Pre, and he says they sell out as fast as they get them in, and have almost no returns.....take it all with a grain of salt.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cooneyca View Post
    I have not tried this myself, but others have reported that EVDO Only will set your phone to NOT receive calls or SMS. EVDO is really about data speed so I guess it is locking you into data only reception.
    That would explain why I stopped getting calls when I set mine to EVDO only - I stopped receiving calls - but I was able to make calls out. I would have full bars and calls would go straight to voice mail...
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick View Post
    This flung the door open.
    Can you explain what you meant here. Did you mean "This flung the door open [for questions] (or did you mean something else)?

thanks
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by akarol View Post
    Why not keep the phone until "rev.B" comes out? That's what I plan on doing. Might as well become familiar with the WebOS and the device before getting it replaced.
    Bingo.
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Title should be changed. Sprint has ackowledged anything. a store empoloye said his store is getting returns. Misleading.
    Or maybe he just needed to proofread it first, kind of like your post.
    Mike Dixon
    Software Developer
    Yeah unfortunatly I was using my brothers Iphone with that horrible screen keyboard, I will use my PRE in the future for any post .

Quote Originally Posted by Fishous View Post
    Or maybe he just needed to proofread it first, kind of like your post.
    Does it matter. Every phone gets returns. The Blackberry Storm had a lot of returns, the iPhone had a lot of returns, with a 30 day return policy and a new platform or phone that diverges from what's already available, there are returns. Returns doesn't even mean that it's returned for defects.

I've seen people on here say they returned or will return their phone, because there aren't enough applications. My Pre works for me. I'm in it for two years. I know that there will be some updates and new applications during that time. That is a guarantee!!! How often, how many, and which ones are the unknown.

I'm a customer who likes to be productive, but have fun and entertainment also. Here's what we know: There will be a SplashID and Documents to Go, Evernote allows us to edit documents- including web pages- that we've added from our desktop, and Classic gives us access to audible, games, and book readers. From people who root their devices we also know that gaming, tethering, and an online landscape keyboard is possible with a plethora of other possibilities.

Here's my predictions: We'll have SplashID, Documents to Go, a book reader, and a voice dial application w/in the next 60 days. Within the first year, we'll have audible and so many applications to choose from that people will stop trying everything in the App catalog, and we'll still have plenty of people say it's not enough.

The Pre is not for everyone. There isn't a single phone out there that would fit and satisfy everyone's needs. That's okay. Today's smart phone is like yesterdays cars: Some people want Porsches, Ferrari, and others want a nice sedate Mercedes-Benz. But there are still others who may want them, but can only afford the Honda or KIA.

People who need a car, will buy one. People who need, and can afford, a smart phone will get the one that fits their needs. If it has defects that are unacceptable to the consumer (phone or car), it will be a one hit wonder.

I keep seeing threads telling owners of the new Pre to stop making excuses and return your Pre. Most of the early adopters, people who bought the Pre on opening day, expected that it wouldn't be a perfect phone out of the box. All of us knew that it wouldn't be crawling with applications. So to advise us to return or phones or point out how other people have had problems with their phones, won't change our choice.

Again, I've been blessed and fortunate. No problems with my Pre and all of the applications that I must have are available in the webOS or Classic.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    Can you explain what you meant here. Did you mean "This flung the door open [for questions] (or did you mean something else)?

thanks
    Sorry - meant flung the door open for questions and curiosity from the customers in the store. They were very interested in why I was returning. I was polite about it and kept telling the Sprint guy that I wasn't trying to hurt his sales...and I was avoiding any true bias one way or another. I was simply answering questions that they were asking me based on my experience with the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by akarol View Post
    Why not keep the phone until "rev.B" comes out? That's what I plan on doing. Might as well become familiar with the WebOS and the device before getting it replaced.
    I really wanted to do this, trust me. The key issue here was not necessarily with the Pre, rather the reception where I work. I got 1 - 0 bars in my office and dropped calls like mad on the drive to/from work.

This was the real showstopper. I'll be back to WebOS when one of the following happens:

The hardware is improved
    Sprint puts up more towers where I live
    A WebOS device comes to ATT
    I move to an area where Sprint works well and I will get the Post (the successor to the Pre...heh heh heh)
    Quote Originally Posted by dsackr View Post
    That would explain why I stopped getting calls when I set mine to EVDO only - I stopped receiving calls - but I was able to make calls out. I would have full bars and calls would go straight to voice mail...
    What are you talking about...EVDO only? Phone network preferences has 2 settings, automatic and Sprint only. Changing to Sprint only will prevent the phone from roaming but you will still get 1x or EVDO depending on signal strength. This has already been mentioned in this thread (post #4.)

I have mine set to Sprint only and still receive calls and SMS messages. If you aren't, then it's either a phone or network problem but don't confuse "Sprint Only" with "EVDO only" - you'll just end up confusing a lot of people.
    Originally posted by edbtzy:
    When i exchanged my pre because of the loose slider, they told me i was the first out of 80 people to return it and that they never read about any defects. So i asked to see his phone (pre) and i pointed out the difference and once he saw the gap on my phone, he exchanged it on the spot. I just don't get how i was the "first"
    When you say his phone, do you mean the floor model? It's my understanding that Sprint employees can't buy the phone until August. It's what I'm told in there stores, over the phone, on their chat lines, and their forums. Every time I mention my Pre, they state: "We can't buy them yet."
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    What are you talking about...EVDO only? Phone network preferences has 2 settings, automatic and Sprint only. Changing to Sprint only will prevent the phone from roaming but you will still get 1x or EVDO depending on signal strength. This has already been mentioned in this thread (post #4.)

I have mine set to Sprint only and still receive calls and SMS messages. If you aren't, then it's either a phone or network problem but don't confuse "Sprint Only" with "EVDO only" - you'll just end up confusing a lot of people.
    They're talking about ##EVDO#. Options are 1xRTT only, EVDO Rev 0 only, Hybrid Rev 0, EVDO only, and Hybrid Rev A. Default setting is Hybrid Rev A, which allows you to switch between 1xRTT, Rev 0 and Rev A.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick View Post
    Sorry - meant flung the door open for questions and curiosity from the customers in the store. They were very interested in why I was returning. I was polite about it and kept telling the Sprint guy that I wasn't trying to hurt his sales...and I was avoiding any true bias one way or another. I was simply answering questions that they were asking me based on my experience with the Pre.
    Sorry, I disagree. By your own admission, you said:
    I ended up smiling and said "you'll see" to the shoppers when I walked out.

In other words, you were trying to convince them.

You were in a retail outlet, where they pay rent, trying to convince their customers to not buy their product. They were longsuffering. Were it my store, I would have told you, stop or leave.
    @hparsons

Why the hostility towards honest opinion and dissent of a product or goods? Wouldn't you want to know the same things, say, about a used car? If the used car salesman was forcing people to leave who had legitimate or semi-legitimate complaints about his cars, I'd immediately be both suspiscous of the salesman and grateful to the customers.

To be honest, I think you're reading WAY too much into this. Was his smile a sly and deceiving one? Maybe out of amusement at the behaviour of the rep or customers. Maybe out of love, who knows. But I wouldn't judge his intentions simply by one line of text without the context of the entire situation.
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Sorry, I disagree. By your own admission, you said:
    I ended up smiling and said "you'll see" to the shoppers when I walked out.

In other words, you were trying to convince them.

You were in a retail outlet, where they pay rent, trying to convince their customers to not buy their product. They were longsuffering. Were it my store, I would have told you, stop or leave.
    I would have just said leave. Times are too hard. If you want to complain, get a picket sign and head to the street. My method probably wouldv'e been worse, but more satisfying.
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorbri View Post
    @hparsons

Why the hostility towards honest opinion and dissent of a product or goods? Wouldn't you want to know the same things, say, about a used car? If the used car salesman was forcing people to leave who had legitimate or semi-legitimate complaints about his cars, I'd immediately be both suspiscous of the salesman and grateful to the customers.

To be honest, I think you're reading WAY too much into this. Was his smile a sly and deceiving one? Maybe out of amusement at the behaviour of the rep or customers. Maybe out of love, who knows. But I wouldn't judge his intentions simply by one line of text without the context of the entire situation.
    No animosity at returning it. Answering questions is borderline. It doesn't matter if he was being honest or not, hae's on their turf, badmouthing them. Sort of like if I came to a party at your house and starting badmouthing you to your guests.

Like I said, in mymind, that was borderline; however he spoke volumes with the "you'll see" comment. In other worde, they decided to buy anyway, and he was still trying to convince them it was a mistake.

That's rude. I would have tossed him out long before he got that far.
    Explain Rev.b please ??
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast