Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    I was searching around about using the phone w/ 1xrtt coverage, and ran across a post where someone was saying that the Palm Pre messenger uses text messages for IM (aim, google):

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ds-better.html

(post #7)

Is this true? It doesn't really matter for sprint users because you guys get unlimited text messaging built into your plan, however if this is true and this phone comes to Verizon and AT&T that could be a problem. It would be the most expensive phone to use on either of these networks.

The post says that text messages are used for all status changes and messages. I guess the reasoning behind this is to help the battery. I would hate to see the pre's battery with a network based im client.

If there's any way someone could test this out, I would appreciate it. Just check your text message count through sprint and then send some IMs. See if the IM count went up after that.
    I don't think it does. Whenever I send an AIM or GTalk message, I always see the EV-DO indicator light up. When I send a text, it doesn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by skaeight View Post
    I was searching around about using the phone w/ 1xrtt coverage, and ran across a post where someone was saying that the Palm Pre messenger uses text messages for IM (aim, google):

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ds-better.html

(post #7)

Is this true? It doesn't really matter for sprint users because you guys get unlimited text messaging built into your plan, however if this is true and this phone comes to Verizon and AT&T that could be a problem. It would be the most expensive phone to use on either of these networks.

The post says that text messages are used for all status changes and messages. I guess the reasoning behind this is to help the battery. I would hate to see the pre's battery with a network based im client.

If there's any way someone could test this out, I would appreciate it. Just check your text message count through sprint and then send some IMs. See if the IM count went up after that.
    I am not positive but I do not believe it is true. Palm shows all of your conversation in one form regerdless of which way the chat started. So you can start a chat one way and then switch to another with the same person and the whole conversation will be shown in one form.
    I had my aim open on my pc while using aim on the pre and it was feeding aim in both. I don't know if that necessarily proves that it is not using it as texts but to my understanding it doesn't.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Yeah maybe he thought this because of the threaded nature of the messanging app. It just seems like it would be a very backwards thing to use txt mssging for im .
    It doesn't, I just tested. As I said, sending stuff over AIM or Google Talk makes the EV-DO indicator light up... because it's sending it over EV-DO AKA the data connection. Sending a text doesn't, because it doesn't use the data connection.
    I'm willing to bet that now that Sprint has a tier of plans that are unlimited and AT&T has something similar; and these plans are required for premium phones, Vzw will probably follow suit and require a premium plan that includes unlimited texting/data. It's the sign of the times, especially in this economy where value/cost is becoming a driving force.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    I don't agree with that. Sprint is doing it for competitve reasons. W att and you still have to add a $30 data plan. The lowest plan on att & vzw + a data plan is $129 - the same as sprint. Sprint is just throwing the sms in as a bonus because they have to. There is no reason to require a txt plan for a smartphone. Txting will go away eventually once everyone has push email and some type of Im client on all the time.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    The plans I was referencing are family plans.
    Quote Originally Posted by skaeight View Post
    I don't agree with that. Sprint is doing it for competitve reasons. W att and you still have to add a $30 data plan. The lowest plan on att & vzw + a data plan is $129 - the same as sprint. Sprint is just throwing the sms in as a bonus because they have to. There is no reason to require a txt plan for a smartphone. Txting will go away eventually once everyone has push email and some type of Im client on all the time.
    So you're saying that on the iPhone, you have to have a specific plan (in the iPhones case, it's $30 add on...making it a specific plan). I think we're saying the same thing here.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    actually, with my old dumbphone on at&t, the IMs went over texts (I think) because you got unlimited IMs when you signed up for unlimited texts, but I did not pay for any data plan. Unless they have an easy way to tell the difference, my guess would be the IMs went over sms.
    neathings - neatˇthings and apps for webOS
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    From what i can tell the software on the pre uses whatever is available to it

When Wifi is available it goes thru that connection

same with EvdO

when the convo switches to texting it just sends them as texts,

so yeah if your not paying attention you'll rack up quite a few texts
    IMHO, you'd be foolish not to have an all encompassing plan with this phone. The features will have you so immersed into the data-use side of things that it's a must to make this device worth-while.

I just don't understand those who complain that they are being ripped-off because they don't/want need these all encompassing services and should have to pay for them. If that's the case....buy yourself a feature phone, stand-alone GPS unit and an iPod Touch and quit whining....
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    IMHO, you'd be foolish not to have an all encompassing plan with this phone. The features will have you so immersed into the data-use side of things that it's a must to make this device worth-while.

I just don't understand those who complain that they are being ripped-off because they don't/want need these all encompassing services and should have to pay for them. If that's the case....buy yourself a feature phone, stand-alone GPS unit and an iPod Touch and quit whining....
    I'm not sure if this was directed at me, but to me sms is a feature phone feature. Why do we need SMS if we can bypass it with network based im and email?

If I were to switch to sprint I would of course have the everything plan. But if this comes to verizon, I probably won't have a text plan. My wife has a text plan, but I don't. I just don't have any need for it.

BTW to the poster above, most smartphone im programs send ims over the data network (my BB does this, as does the iphone). Feature phones did use sms, this is why I was shocked that someone said the pre did it this way. It seems very backwards.

However, it does not sound like the poster I referenced was correct. If IMs are sent with EVDO than it does in fact use the data network. Texts on CDMA networks are sent over 1xRTT.
    So that was me you're referring to. I think after more research the AIM functionality on the Pre (can't speak for GTalk) uses data but not sure if it always uses data. What am I basing this on? When I switch to EVDO only data mode I didn't get some AIM messages although I was able to surf the internet and download email. Also checking my Sprint usage, I'm upwards of 1000 texts which doesn't make sense since I don't text THAT much BUT I do use AIM quite a bit.

My guess is it uses both data and SMS for AIM although can't figure out when it uses what. I know several carriers including Tmobile/AT&T have had chat clients that used SMS for transport. Given that Sprint's only available plans for the Pre all come with unlimited text also leads me to believe it uses SMS in some way.

I would actually strongly prefer if it used SMS for AIM rather than data since it's much easier on the battery life and more reliable. Who knows though.
    "There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't"
    Ok, I have this pretty much figured out. AIM uses the data connection, not texts. I live in an OK service area, and i'm roaming about 1/3 of the time. Before I discovered how to turn on data roaming, IMs wouldn't send if I was roaming with no data. Texts would still send fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Ok, I have this pretty much figured out. AIM uses the data connection, not texts. I live in an OK service area, and i'm roaming about 1/3 of the time. Before I discovered how to turn on data roaming, IMs wouldn't send if I was roaming with no data. Texts would still send fine.
    Again, it doesn't really matter whether you're roaming on the Pre. The Sprint Everything plan includes roaming so it's a non-issue (cost-wise).
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    The reason we need sms as well is that not everyone uses a smart phone, or is on a data plan, or is online all the time. There is still a definite need for sms, and that will remain for some time.
    Quote Originally Posted by ant1pathy View Post
    The reason we need sms as well is that not everyone uses a smart phone, or is on a data plan, or is online all the time. There is still a definite need for sms, and that will remain for some time.
    good point....
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    I don't think I ever got a definitive answer on this. Does the pre use txt for im? From the responses above it looks like it possibly does sometimes?

Is there anyone that can confirm this one way or the other?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast