Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Hey everyone,

Just for background, I am on AT&T, had both the original and 3G iPhone, moved to the Blackberry Bold, and looking to upgrade. I miss the touch screen and useable internet.

I was in the Sprint store yesterday, and the demo units seemed buggy as heck. One was on 1.0.4, and the other not sure. But the demo program kept coming up, it was so annoying, it slowed everything to unusable pretty much.

I have a reception question. I have never been on Sprint, the Pre IS 3G correct? I find it interesting that even IN The store, they only had a 1x connection, and even that wasn't great reception.

I am very worried my reception will go to nothing. I've heard a LOT in regards to this, and it does worry me significantly.

I plan on upgrading today. Either jumping carrier to Sprint and the Pre or choosing to upgrade and stay on AT&T with the 3GS... Eh..

I reallllly like the principle of the Pre with the cards and multitasking, I'm really nervous about the bugs, hardware issues, shorter battery life, and the reception issues. Now I don't know if this stuff is substantiated or not, and I do realize the people who are loudest typically are those who have something to complain about. So out of 300,000 people, you see a very small % here on the boards. But like the iPhone, I hear a lot of complaints about the Pre, specifically, build quality and reception.

I really am leaning towards the Pre, but I am worried I'll end up paying to break my contract with AT&T, although I'm close to the end, so the amount is negligible, pay for the new line on Sprint, pay for the phone, deal with the rebate, deal with the new line activation fee, and find out the thing has horrible reception and can't get 3G speeds, and have to go back to AT&T and pay for it all over again.....

Honestly, what do you guys think? I know I am looking at partial board here as everyone is here because they either love or hate the Pre, but I hope I can get some honest answers, specifically from the Northwest (Oregon and Washington) if you guys exist.

Thank you so much.
    Mario
    Get the Pre
    try it out for a month
    like it keep it
    don"t then return it with no fee
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Warblad13 View Post
    Get the Pre
    try it out for a month
    like it keep it
    don"t then return it with no fee
    +1
    I've had the Pre for a month and I'm using it in and around Olympia, WA. I've also been with Sprint for several years and I have been mostly impressed with their wireless coverage in the Northwest, including their 3G coverage.

Data download speeds on the Pre are pretty good.

As for build quality, I think iPhone beats the Pre. As far as OS, the Pre wins hands down. The Pre can get a bit laggy at times, but not to the point of annoying. Multi-tasking is a great, useful feature. You will also be pleased with the Pre's notification system. It's the best I've seen on any smartphone. The syncing of contacts and calendar works like a charm. Navigating around the OS is very intuitive.

On the negative side, the opening of apps can take several seconds. The loading of pictures is slow, probably the same as the iPhone. The scrolling is not as responsive and smooth as the iPhone. The GPS signal sometimes quits working, requiring a soft reset. These are the biggies for me.

Overall, I love my Pre. I think these software issues will be remedied in future updates. Multi-tasking, notification, and synergy are, indeed, its selling points
    I live in Seattle, and have spent a fair amount of time in Portland and fringe areas around the city (near Ridgefield/Battle Ground right now in WA) and I get fantastic 3G speeds on Sprint.

I've been a Sprint user in this area for about 8 years and really happy with it. 1xRTT is much better then EDGE, but nearly everywhere I go has EVDO. I rarely enter non 3G areas, except when roaming on Sprint (in Amboy/Cougar, etc) and a little of I5, but majority of it even have full EVDO. I've downloaded at 80-120KB/s while flying down I5 at 70mph many a time.

But I do agree with the posters below. The annoying part is, if transferring, you gotta port your whole number over and if it sucks port it back. A hassle sure, but a month of pain is worth the time to try it out. I think you will be happy with Sprint as far as data coverage/network goes.

With Battery life, bugs, etc on the Pre I have to say I'm pretty happy on that side too. I carry a Curve 8330 for work, and have had a flip phone (a920) for the last 3 years as my personal device. I hope to finally convert to one number (and port my personal to Google Voice, once I can..) and device and this Pre is the closest I feel I've ever had to something that could replace my Blackberry.

Sure, AIM sucks down battery life too much and you can't use it, it slows does in weird places too but the functionality is has to offer I think you'll find leaps and bounds over any of the 'problems' people have. Battery Life for me is about a day, day and a half if I'm not using it much. About 3/4th of my Curves life, but still decent enough to be alright with me.

Let us know how it all goes!
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Hey, I wanted to thank you all for your quick responses. It does make me feel a lot more comfortable making the switch since it is a little involved switching and the wife will still be on AT&T. I'll lose the free minutes between us but our work hours conflict so I can't really talk until after 7PM and she can't talk after 6AM, so anywhere in between we are pretty much silent except texting. I will miss Blackberry messenger, but no matter what, iPhone or Pre, I'd have lost that.

Thanks again!!!
    Just be weary that if your Sprint signal is weak in the area you will be using the Pre the most, your battery will drain very quickly as searching for a signal wreaks havoc on the battery.

Specifically, Yes, Sprint is a 3G network that's slightly faster than AT&T and T-Mobiles offering. Verizon and Sprint use the same technology so their 3G networks are pretty equal.

There is a bit of delay/lag when starting apps on the Pre. Its just the way it is as it may have something to do with memory allocation so that apps can run in parallel (multitasking). Once the apps are up and running, there is no lag in switching between them.

Not sure exactly where you're at in Oregon but I've spent some time in the Salem/Keizer area a few years ago and everyone with a Vzw phone was asking me to borrow my Sprint phone beasue they couldn't get a signal...again, a few years ago so it's probably even more stronger in that area today.
    Where in Oregon? I've had a Pre since launch in Central Oregon and have had -0- issues with 3G or phone reception.

If you're in a metro area, you're coverage overall should be good though at home, depending on the location of you house reception can be weaker.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    I'm in tualatin, right at the I5, I205 split where they merge near Wilsonville. I have fantastic AT&T 3G coverage here, even in basements of large buildings (where I work) and in my apartment anywhere.
    I'm in Eugene.. EVDO rev a works pretty much everywhere including outskirt towns. I just got the pre and it works perfect.. so far. I have friends with the Iphone 3g and 3gs .. I would say the Pre alone wouldn't necessarily be worth the switch .. but the Simply everything plan and the Pre is worth it.. throw on the free GPS/Sprintnav and it's an easy decision. If your bill is around a 100 with the iphone and your fine with the plan with no gps then grab an $89.00 refurb'd Iphone 3g or $199 3gs.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    I was just wondering about people who switched from the iPhone to the Pre. I have the Bold now, had both the previous iPhones.

I am just nervous about the lack of ... maturity of the phone. I'm pretty easy on my phones, actually very kind to them. I've never had one break on me, nor have I ever dropped a cell phone. I'm just tedious with my electronics. I'm not "too" worry about that part.

I just want to be able to text, call, email, and surf. I don't game at all. Not important to me. I have a 360 for that.

Thanks for your input!
    I'm in Eugene and live in the West University neighborhood near the UofO campus, not far from the 5 Freeway. I get perfect reception in this area.
    I bought my Pre on launch and have not experienced any signal issues except for at my friends house way out River Rd. Everywhere else I've been in and around Eugene have been solid 3G!
    Last edited by ImmaSlave4U; 07/04/2009 at 12:01 PM.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    I'm in Eugene and live in the West University neighborhood near the you of O campus, not far from the 5 Frewway. I bought my Pre on launch and have not experienced any signal issues except for at my friends house way out River Rd. Everywhere else I've been in and around Eugene have been solid 3G!
    I'll ignore the fact that I can presume you guys are Ducks..... GO BEAVS!

Come on, I spent 33k on education, I have to make every penny count.

Thanks for all your input though, it's making this an easier choice.

Mario
    Quote Originally Posted by fossill View Post
    I was just wondering about people who switched from the iPhone to the Pre. I have the Bold now, had both the previous iPhones.

I am just nervous about the lack of ... maturity of the phone. I'm pretty easy on my phones, actually very kind to them. I've never had one break on me, nor have I ever dropped a cell phone. I'm just tedious with my electronics. I'm not "too" worry about that part.

I just want to be able to text, call, email, and surf. I don't game at all. Not important to me. I have a 360 for that.

Thanks for your input!
    Pre should be fine then. The build quality isn't as good as the iPhone or the Bold...but it is still good in regards to the fact that there's a slider mechanism in play here. If you're gingerly with your devices, there shouldn't be an issue.

The platform still needs to mature, true. But for the basics like email, text and web surfing, it does all those very well.
    I'll ignore the fact that I can presume you guys are Ducks..... GO BEAVS!

Come on, I spent 33k on education, I have to make every penny count.

Thanks for all your input though, it's making this an easier choice.

Mario
    Haha too funny. Yes, I'm a Duck. I hope that you do switch to Sprint and everything works out for you. The 30 day return policy should be of some piece of mind. Let us know what you decide.

P.S.
    Happy B-Day USA!
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Where are you located in OR? I am in Portland and I live in the West Hills - right under the big TV towers. I just did (3 weeks ago) exactly what your considering doing. I went from ATT to Sprint. And from an Iphone to a PRE.
    Here's what I have learnt so far.
    1. When people tell you sprint reception sucks - they don't really know. I get good signal in some places where I used to drop calls on ATT. There are places where Sprint has weak signal, but I am yet to drop a call. I have had it go quiet for a second or two (while driving) and then come back, but not actually drop.
    2. If the Sprint signal sucks, it roams on Verizon, so that's great.
    3. The SW doesn't do a great job of deciding which signal to use right now and sometimes it doesn't switch to a stronger signal soon enough.
    4. My battery life was bad at first, but it is getting better all the time. It is now ok.
    5. The screen wiggles slightly - but, if people are complaining about the same amount of wiggle as I have, then they are not going to be happy with much in life. If it's more, ok, maybe I understand.
    6. The Pre is 3G
    7. Make sure your signal is good in your home. Of the real complaints I have heard, the most valid is that, for some unknown reason, a lot of people have poor signal in their homes. I do, but that is because I live on the side of a hill and if I walk to the top of my drive (about 20' above my roof), I have full signal. In my home nothing. Sprint gave me a free airave and that solved my problem. In fact it is so good and cheap that I discontinued my land line service.
    8. So far Sprint customer service has been great to me. No complaints.
    9. ATT and my Iphone used to drop calls all the time at my home (and other places for that matter), even though it showed a good signal and I was stationary.
    10. ATT is a rip-off - I pay about $40/month less and get more features and for me so far, a better service.
    11. The Iphone is great. I really liked it, but I have to say I prefer the Pre. It just does what I need to do better than the Iphone did it. Hard to explain, but I would not switch back.
    12. Yes, there are only a few apps so far. That is a weakness, but they will come soon enough.
    13. From what I have seen, the Pre is much faster than the Iphone 3G and it is close to the 3GS. ie somethings go faster, some slower, but there's not much in it either way.
    14. When an Iphone shows 1 bar - you're screwed. When the Pre shows 1 bar, you still have surprisingly good call quality.
    15. in general the internet is faster on Sprint. I think ATT is overloaded
    16. Syncing to Itunes is just like the Iphone.
    17. I like being able to choose my music as a ringtone, which I have to pay extra for on the IPhone
    18. I am annoyed that I can't change the notification signal for SMS, MMS, etc. on the Pre, but I am sure they will update the SW to expose this soon.
    19. I travel overseas, so Sprint sent me a SIM card, that I have put in my old Nokia GSM phone. When I go overseas, my calls automatically go to the Nokia - Nice... Not as convenient as having GSM in the first place, but a great compromise.
    20. The camera is outstanding!
    21. you get 30 days to return it and only pay for used airtime.

I went for it and I would not go back. Give it a try. Send me a message if you have any other questions I can help with.
    Nick
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ndawes View Post
    Where are you located in OR? I am in Portland and I live in the West Hills - right under the big TV towers. I just did (3 weeks ago) exactly what your considering doing. I went from ATT to Sprint. And from an Iphone to a PRE.
    Here's what I have learnt so far.
    1. When people tell you sprint reception sucks - they don't really know. I get good signal in some places where I used to drop calls on ATT. There are places where Sprint has weak signal, but I am yet to drop a call. I have had ................................

Nick
    Fantastic response, I VERY much appreciate the feedback. I was wavering again on the price it'll cost me out of pocket, but you really did bring it down to earth. THANK YOU!
    Fantastic response, I VERY much appreciate the feedback. I was wavering again on the price it'll cost me out of pocket, but you really did bring it down to earth. THANK YOU!
    You need to realize the cost as a whole over the 2 year commitment. Often times when taking that into consideration, the upfront cost is insignificant whether $99 or $199 for the handset. its the reoccurring monthly expenses that add-up.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    I bought her, and I love her!!!

The guys at the sprint store were ultra cool, pretty nice guys. I was impressed with how they let me open up 4 different Pre's to find the one I really fell in love with, no dead pixels, no wobble, no oreo cookie, no screen light bleed, no lag, no bad battery I'm extremely happy!

Thanks you guys, I am so so so so happy, it works flawless! And service is great, reception is perfect here!

Mario
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Hey fossil, my name is BJ DeHut and I am a representative for Sprint. First off, while demo phones are there for demoing, you have to understand the amount of wear and tear that a phone might see in a given day (and may not have been turned off/reset for quite some time). Though I understand your main concern is the reception. To answer one of your brief questions, yes, the Pre runs on the Sprint 3G network.
    Here is a helpful tool for getting a good feel for what your reception would be like on the Sprint Network where you live: Sprint - Nationwide Coverage