1.    #1  
    So I saw on PreCentral that they were recommending DoubleTwist as the default media management software for the Pre. I was definitely excited, because I was tired of using iTunes on my mac, with the whole "I can use the iPod on one computer only. Wanna erase so you can use it on this computer/profile?" I didn't have a cross platform option to just easily manage videos, pictures and music.

DoubleTwist seems to have the UI done right. Very simple, but it's definitely lacking a lot of options for me. It just seems the actual functionality of it is totally lock down. I can't right click on songs to get a context menu with more options for me to organize, edit song tags and many other things. Plus when I used DoubleTwist to go through my Pre's pictures, and delete any images I didn't want, I had to control + click the actual image. If I did a selection of images, scroll down and hold SHIFT + drag to select, I lose what I've selected earlier, and that's a bit annoying. There's no conversion either, I have a lot of WMA (non DRM) that needs to be converted to MP3 so I can actually play it on my Pre. So unless I"m not using this thing right or there's a slew of add-ons that I don't know about, I'm not recommending this one.

Then there's SongBird which I though was going to be great! It does things that is lacking in DoubleTwist, but unfortunately I cannot convert my non-protected music. And even with their add-on library, no body has created one yet. So I'm not losing my hopes with this one, but it's not really useful for what I want.

iTunes... Ya that's a hassle in it's own class. I can't take my Pre into two different profiles/computers and manage my stuff without it asking me to delete the Pre and start over again.

So I'm asking the community out there to possibly recommend me something that is cross platform (or not) that outshines all of these managers with what I need...and free. Or tell me what I'm missing in one of them that can easily solve my issue.

Thanks for your time.
    I use MediaMonkey but I think its windows only.

I love it
    Winblows Media Player?

I know it is not cross-platform (Well it is mut anything other than the windows version is bad) but it manages pics, videos, and music.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    I downloaded DoubleTwist because the recommendation on the main page made out sound awesome, but when I used it, it was difficult and I couldn't figure anything out; i deleted it.

I'm using Media Monkey now, its great because you can edit your tags easily (the menus are stuffed with options), and convert your music to MP3 (or lots of other formats). It does take its time though.
    I don't think playlists can be made on this though, which is a bummer, but I think that's more the Pre's fault.

I recomend this program if playlists aren't too important. (I like to think pandora IS the playlists)
    I don't trust DoubleTwist, seems shady. I skipped the install when reading the EULA. Apparently I'm not alone:

DVD Jon sells out to The Man: Dissecting the doubleTwist EULA, ToS, etc - Defending Scoundrels
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Always read the TOS... I know nobody does...
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09

I have to agree on the DoubleTwist... the User Interface is quite lacking.

I found Tunebite to be a decent option... and it can make ringtones.

Also there is a Virtual CD Burner option that lets you burn an MP3 CD from iTunes and then rip the songs back as MP3
    MediaMonkey. MediaMonkey. MediaMonkey.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by djshack View Post
    MediaMonkey. MediaMonkey. MediaMonkey.
    agreed. and don't forget to buy media monkey gold, it's worth it.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by StefanP View Post
    agreed. and don't forget to buy media monkey gold, it's worth it.
    HOLY COW! I just downloaded this program and I've totally underestimated this application. Now this is what I'm talking about!!! PC.net, why didn't you recommend this program over doubleTwist? As soon as my next payday rolls around, I will pay for the extra features.

One feature I totally love is the easy way of copying album art. I go straight to Amazon's site and I just do a copy and paste. I'm going to play with this program some more and let you know my thoughts.

Do you know if they will be releasing this for OS X? It works great with my Napster files on my PC.
    yep mediamonkey is my default media player. love it, have gold well worth it.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by groovdafied View Post
    HOLY COW! I just downloaded this program and I've totally underestimated this application. Now this is what I'm talking about!!! PC.net, why didn't you recommend this program over doubleTwist? As soon as my next payday rolls around, I will pay for the extra features.

One feature I totally love is the easy way of copying album art. I go straight to Amazon's site and I just do a copy and paste. I'm going to play with this program some more and let you know my thoughts.

Do you know if they will be releasing this for OS X? It works great with my Napster files on my PC.
    They're working on a version for mac and linux. but I run it in Wine in Linux and it works perfectly

also, I recommend looking into the mediamonkey settings and do some reading about it online. There are a lot of features that are not really straight forward to find, but once you find them it adds even greater usability.

for instance, I like that you can go to the next track by clicking the taskbar icon and "drag" it to the right. (I don't have media buttons on my laptop :P).
  13.    #13  
    So what gives? I think precentral should take off that article and recommend media monkey. I found another goodie too. That when tou transfer the songs to your pre, it organizes it automatically with folders. Even if you don't have it organized on your comp, it is done for you. Yay =)
    I've been using Media Monkey since 2.0 and it is great, gold is worth it. But it only manages Music.

i use mediamonkey too, but i am now looking for something that i can use to transfer videos to my pre. any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by frza View Post
    i use mediamonkey too, but i am now looking for something that i can use to transfer videos to my pre. any suggestions?
    Drag and drop?