Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I got my Pre on the 21st, and since Day 1 the back light on the keyboard seems to be a bit messed up. only the t y u g h j v b n keys are really lit up, the rest are very very dim. I can see them in darkness...barely, but its usable. Aslo there seems to be some "oreo" effect on the slider. My question is, should I return it for another one? Everything else on the phone is flawless, but I don't want to spend this amount of money on the phone and have a defective one.
    Would you provide pictures of the problems?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannyman View Post
    Would you provide pictures of the problems?
    I can try, lemme see if I can find my digital camera

EDIT: mmk, I got some pics, How do I put em up on here?
    Last edited by Doug30; 07/04/2009 at 12:32 AM.
  4.    #4  

K, there are a few pics, like I said, I can deal with it, but I shouldn't HAVE to. I'm just scared of getting a new phone and that having some even more wrong with it.
    i would exchange it. i like having my keyboards backlight all lit up
    That is definitely a defect. I would return it.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
  7.    #7  
    So I have 30 days to exchange it to the sprint store? I really don't know about the exchange policies, should I just walk in and ask for a new phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug30 View Post
    So I have 30 days to exchange it to the sprint store? I really don't know about the exchange policies, should I just walk in and ask for a new phone?

yup, just walk in and ask for an exchange
    The picture was worth the thousand words.
    Yep keyboard should be better lit.
    Can you take a picture of the oreo thing?
    Up to you if you think it is worth the money you paid.
    Last edited by Mannyman; 07/04/2009 at 01:31 AM. Reason: typo
    Let me guess, you're on the lowest screen brightness? Try turning the screen brightness up and I'd bet that that'll light up a ton more. It sucks that the two are tied together, though.
    i have the exact same problem. i wish i could exchange mine but i had already exchanged it and its brand new
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Let me guess, you're on the lowest screen brightness? Try turning the screen brightness up and I'd bet that that'll light up a ton more. It sucks that the two are tied together, though.
    Good Point.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    You know what, you were right. Although I dont have the screen on the lowest screen brightness, I had it on about 30% if the slider was a 100% scale. I turned it all the way up, and the keyboard lit up as well. It does suck that these two are tied together, and I'll guess I'll just have to live with it Thank you to all of you who chimed in to help!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug30 View Post
    You know what, you were right. Although I dont have the screen on the lowest screen brightness, I had it on about 30% if the slider was a 100% scale. I turned it all the way up, and the keyboard lit up as well. It does suck that these two are tied together, and I'll guess I'll just have to live with it Thank you to all of you who chimed in to help!!
    lol wow i totally thought you changed the screens brightness because it shows it brighter on one of them and the other looked dimmer than the other so i didnt bother saying much about changing the brightness settings
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannyman View Post
    The picture was worth the thousand words.
    Yep keyboard should be better lit.
    Can you take a picture of the oreo thing?
    Up to you if you think it is worth the money you paid.
    as far as the oreo thing, I don't think its that big of an issue, yet. I hope it doesn't get any worse, but its something I can live with. And its pretty hard to get a picture of what I'm talking about, you would have to hold the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by technoviking View Post
    lol wow i totally thought you changed the screens brightness because it shows it brighter on one of them and the other looked dimmer than the other so i didnt bother saying much about changing the brightness settings
    Yeah, I feel kinda dumb for asking the question now, but i'm just going to leave my screen dim, I don't want to waste all the battery, If I really need to see the keyboard, I know what to do now...
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Let's hope that Palm built this device with the same forethought they had building the Treo. Even though the keyboard backlight wasn't really user controllable, some developers wrote programs to change the brightness and duration of the light.

[fingers crossed] maybe the Pre keyboard and screen backlights can be controlled separately (in the near future).
    I have a keyboard question. I walked home in the dark last night and noticed that the back light for the keyboard did not come on. This morning when I woke up and looked at my phone the back light was on. I thought well that's good maybe the phone had a brain fart or something. However as soon as I unplugged my Pre from the charger the keyboard back light went out.

Does anyone know if there is a setting for the keyboard back light? Clearly the light works, but something is telling my Pre not to light the keyboard when it isn't plugged in.
    "In the field of observation, chance favors only the prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur

insert crapy old phone here (x3)->Sanyo 4920 -> Sanyo 8200 -> Moto Q -> Palm Pre
    Never mind. I'm haven't had coffee yet so I'm not fully with it this morning. The reason as I'm sure most who read this will have guest why the keyboard back light was not coming on is because I had screen brightness set all they way down. Consider it fixed.
    "In the field of observation, chance favors only the prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur

insert crapy old phone here (x3)->Sanyo 4920 -> Sanyo 8200 -> Moto Q -> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    OMG thanks guys!! I thought I knew alot about my phone. Well guess what. I always envied my friend's Touch Pro2 for having a full backlight keyboard. I always believed that my Pre's main disadvantage was that it didn't have a backlit keyboard, and it frustrated me. One of the things that I do when I get a new phone, is turn the screen brightness to the minimum, so I'd never know, right?

I feel so happy now, and it's because of this thread! Thank you!!!

I'll end this with a relevant quote:

"I know one thing, that I don't know anything" - Socrates
    Quote Originally Posted by larnapp View Post
    Let's hope that Palm built this device with the same forethought they had building the Treo. Even though the keyboard backlight wasn't really user controllable, some developers wrote programs to change the brightness and duration of the light.

[fingers crossed] maybe the Pre keyboard and screen backlights can be controlled separately (in the near future).
    There's a patch for that.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast