Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    So here's my story. Warning, this is long:

2-3 weeks after getting the Pre on launch day, my center button stopped working. I went back to the Sprint store and they replaced it under the 30 day plan. About half a day later I realized that the replacement had the "oreo" problem. Not as bad as some of the pics/videos I've now seen on this board, but enough to bug the crap out of me and sometimes make it more difficult to turn the screen off and on with the way the top half of the phone slides over the power button.

I told myself it wasn't a big deal and I should live with it. But after a week of feeling the problem every time I picked up the phone, comparing mine to my co-worker's, and reading all about the issue on this forum, I decided to try to get a 3rd Pre while still in the 30-day return period.

I gotta say, how everyone's getting their stores to swap this phone out 2, 3, even 4 times, is a mystery to me. I was met with nothing but resistance at three separate Sprint stores.

I started at the store closest to me that has on site techs (which isn't the store I bought it from), thinking maybe they'd open it up and tighten the screws to fix the problem, but the woman that greeted me at the door when I walked in refused to even show it to them, telling me that it's a normal thing and that I shouldn't keep pressing on it to make it worse. She was pretty argumentative and defensive about it, and basically implied that I caused the problem and advised me to go back to the store I bought it at, which doesn't have a tech but is a "corporate" store, unlike her store.

So I drove back to my original store and showed it to someone there, who agreed with me that it seemed odd, but she wouldn't acknowledge it as a problem warranting replacement, saying she isn't sure what they're "supposed" to be like in terms of the wobbly slider. Even though both demo units in the store did not have the problem. She suggested I go to a 3rd store that is a corporate store and does have on site techs, and gave me one of those :wink wink: implications that I should avoid the non-corporate stores because they suck, which jives perfectly with what I experienced.

At the third store, the consultant I got was really nice, and sort of acknowledged the problem. She went and showed it to the techs, who immediately shrugged it off as not a problem, even though, again, both of their demo units don't have the problem. I pressed the issue. She asked the manager, who shrugged it off as well.

Since I was still in my 30 days, I asked my nice consultant what would happen if I just did the refund and switched back to my old phone, then came in next week and bought the Pre again. I basically made it clear that I'm not keeping a phone with this problem while every other Pre I've seen doesn't have it. She said she understood what I was doing and explained it to the manager. I expected them to fold at this point and save us all some time and just swap the sucker out. However, they didn't blink and we proceeded with the return/refund under the 30 day plan.

So now I'm back on my crappy Moto Q and am going to go buy the Pre again sometime in the next few weeks. I'm shocked it had to come to this and that they would actually let me go through these motions just to get a different Pre. It's actually kind of funny in a twisted way.

I'm sure some of you think I'm crazy, or too picky, but I don't care. I'm not going to pay $200 for a phone and get stuck with the one that has this problem, when it's clearly not an issue the majority of them have. The point of this is that your mileage will vary wildly on how receptive your local stores will be to replacing your phone when it comes to this issue.
    That's a pretty crappy experience...suxs that you had to go through it. My advice would have been to not even bring up the return/re-purchase option at all, because from their pov it doesn't really matter what you do since you're still paying the monthly service fee.

Two options you could consider next time would be to escalate the issue by calling customer retention from the store and ask for them to help resolve the issue. Be nice, but firm, about the problem and why it's logical for them to resolve it right and there. The people at the store won't like it, but you will get it resolved if you can get customer retention on your side. Just to be clear, it's customer RETENTION, not the standard customer service dept. You'll have to go through the standard rep and if they can't resolve it ask specifically for customer retention.
    Sorry to hear that. Ran into the same problem myself. Part of me thinks it is because they still don't have a steady supply and are holding onto the new Pres for new customers. It realy is a shame. I love WebOS and the Pre is a great phone but where they are lacking (and I know I will get flamed for this) is the follow through (at least in my experience).

I hate to mention the dreaded "A" word on these forums, but Apple has never given me any trouble when swapping out my iPhone for the most benign reasons possible. Dust under screen, one dead pixel etc. Yes I am pretty anal retentive when it comes to my smart phones, but I figure we should hold these companies (Palm and Apple) to higher standards. It seems everywhere I go these days: restaurant, store, gas station: customer service is not what is used to be. *Sigh*
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I did the same yesterday going to the store I got the Pre and the Manager said that its not defective and they haven't heard about as an issue and refused to exchange it for me. Note that both floor models also didn't have the same issue with the gap and the oreo'ing effect. Plus I checked the slider count and even told him they were opened more times than mine and it don't have this issue. I told him I would really consider jumping to the iPhone since I was still under 30 days. And he even said they didn't have any in stock while I had called right before I went and they told me they had and he tried to blame it off on one of the employees as trying to give out other customer's reserved phones. I knew he was lying. I will probably call Sprint support and tell them I want to cancel service due to the hardware issues.
    I would try customer service or Palm to see if they will exchange it if you truly like your phone.
    Its unfortunate that some Sprint stores are trying to play hard ball like that. No wonder they are hemorrhaging subs like they are with service like that. One of their many issues.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Would I be better off buying the Pre at Best Buy?

The sad thing about this is that I love the phone and don't want anything else. I have to refund and then re-buy the damn thing just to get one without this hardware issue. There's something wrong when I can come right out and say that's what I'm going to do and they still won't just swap it out.
    aglide, another option would be to do the advanced exchange. basically they will ship a new one out to you or to the store, and then you bring in your phone and do the swap... hope you get a good pre one of these days!
    The issue you more than likely willl encounter aglide now since you upgraded from the Motorola Q to the Palm Pre in a Sprint corporate retail store is that even though you returned it within the 30 day exchange/return period, your HUP/HOF discount more than likely will have been removed and if you attempt to go anywhere and purchase the Palm Pre, their system will show you ineligible for any discounts off the SRP. The only department I'm aware of that may be able to assist you in restoring your HUP/HOF discount is Sprint's Account Services. Good luck.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    The best way to stop this ever happening is to vote with your feet. You as a person with free will and choice can choose what cell company you want you use and which phone you will buy. If you have had problems with the cell company or cell phone why would you buy it again. Remember the only thing that talks in this country is money. No one cares about how we feel they only care about the money. So the only way to solve this is not to give them your money.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Sounds like I'll need to spend some time on the phone with Sprint to get this sorted out after the holiday. In March 2006 I got my first phone with Sprint, a Samsung A900, and in late 2008 it died. My sister gave me her old Motorola Q and we moved my number to it, and I spent another 6 months out of contract until getting the Pre. Since I've returned the Pre during the 30 day period, I'm going to try to make sure they have on record that I'm not currently under contract.

I'll be very surprised if they don't still have me locked into a fake 2 year contract after this ordeal when I call on Monday. But since the contract is dependent on a subsidy for a device that I don't even have, I don't see how that could stand.
    Last edited by aglide; 07/05/2009 at 03:13 AM.
    My story about replacing my pre is a bit longer actually! And I still have the original... ugh. I figured I will just live with it.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    So I called Sprint today and the contract for the Pre I no longer have was indeed still active in the system, expiring on 6/5/2011. I'm not sure if this was an oversight or if the return I did on 7/3/09 just hadn't propagated through the system, but the agent went ahead and zeroed it out and said I'm again eligible for upgrade. Score one!

I also asked her if that bogus $35 restocking fee the store sprung on me during the return actually applied to me, because on the receipt it said it was for "exchanging for a different model or color", which clearly doesn't really jive with a straight up return and switch back to my ancient Moto Q that I already owned. She put me on hold for a second and then came back stating the charge had been removed. Score two!
    OK i'm just saying...
    Sprint stores generally suck when it comes to helping after a purchase. You almost always have to prod a bit and I've talked to retention umpteen times knowing it was the only way to get what I needed.

Buy it at Best Buy! Seriously. Between the Black Tie coverage that isn't a joke like TEP and the non-sprint reps it's great. I am on my third pre through them with absolutely no hassle.

The first one went Oreo and they happily replaced it, the second one, honestly just didn't last as well - the nub on the F key popped off, it had the batter issue (which, anyone have any luck with whether or not they've updated the size in newer models?), and it swiveled slightly. I just went back and explained that I wanted my phone in pristine condition. I had even dropped it once and there were some scratches from the Concrete *Shudder*. NOT a problem they said and it was done in literally 3 minutes. Literally.
    You're better off buying at an indirect dealer over Best Buy. You get Sprint Stock, with 3rd party customer service. I work for an indirect dealer and we don't have an issue with swapping your phone out multiple times until you get one that meets your satisfaction. I personally swapped out one guy's Pre about 4 times until he was satisfied with the build quality. So, its really all about the store you go to.
    Quote Originally Posted by beret9987 View Post
    You're better off buying at an indirect dealer over Best Buy. You get Sprint Stock, with 3rd party customer service. I work for an indirect dealer and we don't have an issue with swapping your phone out multiple times until you get one that meets your satisfaction. I personally swapped out one guy's Pre about 4 times until he was satisfied with the build quality. So, its really all about the store you go to.
    If by "indirect dealer" you mean an independently owned (non corporate) Sprint store then I have to disagree. I bought a Pre from one of those stores and they gave me the hardest time about exchanges. The first Pre from them had at least 11 bad pixels and the second had at least 9. (The first had other issues as well.) They made me wait 2 weeks for the exchange from the first and then when I told them I wouldn't accept a replacement with 9 bad pixels and they made a big deal about how they couldn't see anything wrong with it. They then told me that they and every other Sprint store had a waiting list of over a hundred people (a lie) and that it would take weeks before they would have another replacement. When I told them to just give me a refund and I would buy elsewhere they made me wait over an hour while they helped other customers who came in after me. Moreover, they didn't cancel the phone in my Sprint account properly and I had to call customer service to get it fixed.

I'm sure your store could be better but based on my experience I think people would be best served by going to a store like Walmart where they're not going to hassle you about exchanges or returns.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I think he's talking about something different than a Sprint store that isn't corporate, just based on his signature saying he works for something called "Wireless Wizards". I definitely agree with you about the non-corp Sprint store though, based on the experience I had in the one I went to Friday as detailed in my post.

I'm not sure if I have any similar "3rd party" stores like Wireless Wizards in my area (Kansas City), but I'm going to try to find out so I can check them out.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beret9987 View Post
    No way. I bought at an indirect and the customer service is a freaking joke. I will NEVER buy from one again. I would gladly rebuy from best buy again before an indirect.
    Quote Originally Posted by aglide View Post
    I think he's talking about something different than a Sprint store that isn't corporate, just based on his signature saying he works for something called "Wireless Wizards". I definitely agree with you about the non-corp Sprint store though, based on the experience I had in the one I went to Friday as detailed in my post.

I'm not sure if I have any similar "3rd party" stores like Wireless Wizards in my area (Kansas City), but I'm going to try to find out so I can check them out.
    Wireless Wizards is a non corporate Sprint store. And its reviews on Yelp are not good.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    Wireless Wizards is a non corporate Sprint store. And its reviews on Yelp are not good.
    I work at the Walnut Creek store and most people leave satisfied unless they're trying to get a Pre for free... The way we're paid is based on customer survey call you get from Sprint, so if you REALLY don't like the customer service you're getting from the store, finish that survey once you get the call! That store will get reprimanded and that associate in particular will lose their commission/their job(in the case of our store)

Sorry to hear your guys had a bad experience with your indirect dealers though. As for the reviews on Yelp, can't really speak for them since I've only been there for a few months.

And clipcarl, if you want to try another Pre, swing by the Walnut Creek or Concord store for Wireless Wizards and ask for Jon. Just mention who you are and I'll get you setup with everything personally.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast