Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    After long deliberation my wife and I decided to give up our iPhones in favor of the Palm Pre. I had used one before and thoroughly enjoyed it. Upon inspection my pre had a couple dead pixels, but no biggie. My wife's Pre however had that famous "oreo twist" action going on. It was clearly obvious when compared to my phone.

So this morning I called up the Sprint store where we purchased, and spoke to the woman with whom we purchased them from. She said sure, come in and they would swap it.

When we got to the store, she told my wife that this was "normal", and that Palm designed the phone that way. We both showed her that her phone was MUCH worse then mine, but she said the best they could do would be to charge us a $35 restocking fee to swap it. I told her that we would return both the phones and cancel our lines if they were unwilling to swap it.

A couple minutes later, she returned from her manager's office and said she would return both phones. I could not believe it. They would rather lose two new customers then exchange a clearly defective phone.

Needless to say I contacted customer relations and spoke to a supervisor. The Pre is an awesome phone, but I am not going to deal with that kind of customer service. Especially when people on these forums are exchanging their phones 4 and 5 times for dead pixels, bubbles etc. and my wife's phone was twisting apart.

End of Rant.
    Sounds like you had an ***** working there... If she thinks the twist was "normal" I would not take her serious and walk right out the door.
    Quote Originally Posted by Remedy1978 View Post
    After long deliberation my wife and I decided to give up our iPhones in favor of the Palm Pre. I had used one before and thoroughly enjoyed it. Upon inspection my pre had a couple dead pixels, but no biggie. My wife's Pre however had that famous "oreo twist" action going on. It was clearly obvious when compared to my phone.

So this morning I called up the Sprint store where we purchased, and spoke to the woman with whom we purchased them from. She said sure, come in and they would swap it.

When we got to the store, she told my wife that this was "normal", and that Palm designed the phone that way. We both showed her that her phone was MUCH worse then mine, but she said the best they could do would be to charge us a $35 restocking fee to swap it. I told her that we would return both the phones and cancel our lines if they were unwilling to swap it.

A couple minutes later, she returned from her manager's office and said she would return both phones. I could not believe it. They would rather lose two new customers then exchange a clearly defective phone.

Needless to say I contacted customer relations and spoke to a supervisor. The Pre is an awesome phone, but I am not going to deal with that kind of customer service. Especially when people on these forums are exchanging their phones 4 and 5 times for dead pixels, bubbles etc. and my wife's phone was twisting apart.

End of Rant.
    Wow. Depending where you were located, I'd tell you to return that one and come to the store I work at... I've swapped Pres for people around 4 times just to make sure they left happy...

End of Rant.
    Sounds like you did exactly the right thing, but what was the end result?

End of Rant.
    Find another corp store near you and exchange it there. You could also call retentions (sp?) and they might even offer you a credit because of the poor service you got there.
    What good is a man if he can not change the world?
    Kingdom of Heaven
    You know, it's sad. It really is. CLEARLY, the "oreo twist" is becoming a deal-breaker for a whole legion of customers and it is probably something that PALM COULD FIX. I know with my own phone... the twist was barely there at first. Now I have had the phone just 7 days and my screen skates all over the dang place.

When I stopped by my Sprint corporate store a few days ago, we opened a bunch of phones that all had the twist. Several were worse than mine. And one of the techs said "they're all like that."

I love my pre. But I am starting to get frustrated. The twist seems to be getting worse every day. I wish Palm would just acknowledge the problem and FIX IT. I want to remain a pre user dammit!
  7. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    As with any interaction like this, sometimes you need to be a little more aggressive.

"Tell you what, you'll go ahead and waive that 35 dollar restocking fee, and you'll go ahead and swap our phones. Okay?"

It works.
    I sympathize with you but you shouldn't have bluffed. If you were not willing to cancel right then and there as you said then you shouldn't have said it. Now the people at the Sprint store think you're a liar (which technically you are if you didn't cancel). If you're going to give ultimatums like that you should always be prepared to follow through. I said the same thing at my Sprint store and when they wouldn't exchange I followed through, returned the phone, canceled the service and bought a new Pre at Walmart.
    I can't believe how many people overblow the "oreo twist" bs. My first phone twisted a bit, but not anything worth getting upset over. My new phone was tighter, but now twists a little, but guess what? I open the phone properly and don't try to twist it. Oh no, a slider phone thats not 100% solid... Find me one that is :facepalm: I've been unfortunate enough to drop my phone 4 times now, and it still slides perfectly, you guys are making a mountain out of an ant hill.
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    that is very true. but the principle of the fact is that people who work at sprint don't know whats what. Example, i walked into sprint a few days ago with a small discoloration on the bottom left of my phone. I showed it to them and they tried telling me "its just the screen, it doesn't effect the overall performance" i literally LAUGHED in there face and just said, "thats NOT suppose to be there and if your not going to exchange it thats fine, ill just go to another sprint store and exchange it" then i proceeded to walk out of the store. Never going back there again
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    I can't believe how many people overblow the "oreo twist" bs. My first phone twisted a bit, but not anything worth getting upset over. My new phone was tighter, but now twists a little, but guess what? I open the phone properly and don't try to twist it. Oh no, a slider phone thats not 100% solid... Find me one that is :facepalm: I've been unfortunate enough to drop my phone 4 times now, and it still slides perfectly, you guys are making a mountain out of an ant hill.
    Clearly, you assume that YOUR experience is relatable to EVERYONE'S experience. Not so. I baby the heck out of my phone. And I "open the phone properly and don't try to twist it." The problem is: I DON'T NEED TO TRY -- the freaking thing twists itself

So, don't just assume that we who are having a legitimate and problematic issue "are making a mountain out of an ant hill." Seriously, that's just incredibly arrogant.
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    would you rather have it twist a bit? Or would u rather have the hardware fail simultaneously
    Quote Originally Posted by edbtzy View Post
    would you rather have it twist a bit? Or would u rather have the hardware fail simultaneously
    What? Is that like a choice of anything we should want? You're kidding right?!
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    we obv should't have any of those problems to begin with. But the overall performance of the pre is great. So alittle twist here and there isn't really a big problem
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Heh. My wife is on her way home from returning her Pre, she got a Treo Pro instead since she is fine with a Treo and needs a phone that works right now and can't wait for a replacement Pre. Her phone kept blacking out, and you couldn't get the screen to come back on (so a call is coming in and you can't answer it, or hang up, or other very useful things for a phone) unless you popped off the back, fiddled with things, pushed the phone from each side. Basically never found a sure fire way to get the screen back, just hoped something worked. In order to waive the restock fee (they wouldn't have charged one for any reason at this store as long as you got a Pre again, but she was exchanging for the Treo Pro), they wanted the tech to check it out first. I dropped the phone off earlier, the girl took it from and asked what was wrong. I told her to get the screen to work and she couldn't. Then to prove my point that it was indeed on, the phone rang. She was holding it, asked if I wanted to answer it, and I told her that was impossible since the screen doesn't work.

So my wife just went down there and the tech said nothing was wrong with it. She had to sit there and make someone call the girl who took the phone from me (she was not working right now) and tell them it indeed was screwed up, because she never made a note of what she saw. My wife has her Treo Pro though, and no restock fee was charged. My wife will be very happy with her Pro I am sure.
    we obv should't have any of those problems to begin with. But the overall performance of the pre is great. So alittle twist here and there isn't really a big problem
    Yeah, whatever. But mine doesn't have a "little twist." It is a problem. For example, if I go to press the power button, often times I cannot because it is blocked by the screen that lurched over and is now covering it. Then I have to hold the two pieces (top and bottom) together firmly in my hand to get to the power button. Also, when gesturing... it becomes really difficult to use the gesture area when your entire screen moves to the left with the gesture.

I agree that the overall performance of the pre is great. I love what my pre can do. I just really, REALLY wish the twist would get addressed by PALM, because for many of us it is a very real problem.
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    I feel the same way. My last pre had the loose slider and i had the same issue when using the gesture area. After i exchanged it, my new pre had discoloration on the bottom left of the screen =/
  18.    #18  
    clipcarl I did not bluff, I canceled the two lines right on the spot. If it was too much of a hassle for them to exchange a clearly defective phone, then they really dont want to retain customers.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Different people have different levels of tolerance.

Some people don't mind paying $200 and being locked into a 2-year contract with a device that has flaws and might not even last the 2-years.

Others, like myself, won't pay $200 of my hard earned dollars and be locked into a 2-year contract with a poorly made device. You pay good money for something, you expect it to be solid. I feel especially bad for the people who payed the full $500+ price.
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT1345 View Post
    Different people have different levels of tolerance.

Some people don't mind paying $200 and being locked into a 2-year contract with a device that has flaws and might not even last the 2-years.

Others, like myself, won't pay $200 of my hard earned dollars and be locked into a 2-year contract with a poorly made device. You pay good money for something, you expect it to be solid. I feel especially bad for the people who payed the full $500+ price.
    Then never be an early adopter.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast