Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Remedy1978 View Post
    clipcarl I did not bluff, I canceled the two lines right on the spot. If it was too much of a hassle for them to exchange a clearly defective phone, then they really dont want to retain customers.
    OK, sorry, my mistake. But I've found that while the employees in the stores may leave something to be desired Sprint's telephone support has gotten really good and they are very responsive to customer needs. You may want to consider rebuying the Pre from a store like Walmart where they won't hassle you if you need to exchange so you can keep the Pre, Sprint and their good plans.
    Last edited by clipcarl; 07/03/2009 at 05:29 PM.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    clipcarl I did not bluff, I canceled the two lines right on the spot. If it was too much of a hassle for them to exchange a clearly defective phone, then they really dont want to retain customers.
    But it wasn't a hassle for them to exchange. In fact, they told you they WOULD exchange it. Sprint's policy (which is generally visible on all literature in the store, and on the front of your receipt from your purchase) is that exchanges for a different model or color will result in a $35 restocking fee. Whether you like that or not is irrelevant. That's their policy. If a particular rep or store says "hey, we'll waive the policy" then that is at their discretion. But if they decide not to waive that policy, you hardly have a right to complain since the policy is as clear as day and should come as no surprise.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    True, but you have to find the right Corp Store to get good Customer Service. The Sprint Stores here in Delaware are a great representation of why Sprint is gushing out customers and loosing money. They really don't care about helping anybody.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I just posted a thread about a similar experience under the topic "Wow, I'm shocked at how hard it was to try to get my "oreo" Pre replaced!" (I'm new to this forum so I can't link to it). I still can't figure out how people have managed to get their Pre exchanged multiple times.
    Quote Originally Posted by pathymo View Post
    But it wasn't a hassle for them to exchange. In fact, they told you they WOULD exchange it. Sprint's policy (which is generally visible on all literature in the store, and on the front of your receipt from your purchase) is that exchanges for a different model or color will result in a $35 restocking fee. Whether you like that or not is irrelevant. That's their policy. If a particular rep or store says "hey, we'll waive the policy" then that is at their discretion. But if they decide not to waive that policy, you hardly have a right to complain since the policy is as clear as day and should come as no surprise.
    I didn't have to pay any restocking fee when my phone broke... Though it was an electrical issue, so that might be why.
    But it wasn't a hassle for them to exchange. In fact, they told you they WOULD exchange it. Sprint's policy (which is generally visible on all literature in the store, and on the front of your receipt from your purchase) is that exchanges for a different model or color will result in a $35 restocking fee. Whether you like that or not is irrelevant. That's their policy.
    But if he is trying to exchange his pre for another pre, it is not for a different model or color.
    Just switched over from Verizon to get the Pre.

I haven't had any problems with my phone... knock on wood... but have been into the Sprint store twice. Once to port my old Verizon number and then today to pick up a car charger for my 4th of July trip to the mountains. Both experiences were overwhelmingly positive.

Today, I had called ahead to make sure the store would be open (on account of the holiday). The Sprint employee asked why I was coming in. I explained I was interested in picking up a car charger. When I came into the store an hour later, she had the car charger waiting for me... but not only that... she had gone onto precentral.net and printed up the Pre Tips and Tricks .pdf for me. I mean talk about going above and beyond what is expected. Very much impressed me.

I'm much more satisfied with Sprint than I ever was with Verizon so far. I feel like I get better reception and better service at the store... and well I also stepped up from a Casio g'zOne to the Palm Pre... so maybe that's actually the difference.

Just thought I'd throw that out there... and if you happen to be the Sprint employee who printed up the PDF... thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    As with any interaction like this, sometimes you need to be a little more aggressive.

"Tell you what, you'll go ahead and waive that 35 dollar restocking fee, and you'll go ahead and swap our phones. Okay?"

It works.
    "these aren't the droids you're looking for."
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    But if he is trying to exchange his pre for another pre, it is not for a different model or color.
    Yes, it is. He is exchanging his current model for another model of the same device. It can still apply, though the language seems unclear.
    Last edited by pathymo; 07/03/2009 at 06:58 PM.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    I didn't have to pay any restocking fee when my phone broke... Though it was an electrical issue, so that might be why.
    As I said in my post, if the store chooses to waive the fee, that is at their discretion. That doesn't change the policy. And frankly, part of the problem is the policy not being enforced everywhere. When someone exchanges with no fee, then someone else exchanges and gets a fee, it creates confusion and anger. Not a good business practice.
    I've been with Sprint for about 10 years now and my experiences with them have run the gamut. To the OP, it sucks that your experience was unpleasant. I've been there, done that. On the other hand, I've had some great experiences with cs at Sprint as well. I attribute it to the fact that they don't pay the kids that work at those stores very much and there is quite a bit of turnover, so you're going to have some crappy employees.
  12.    #32  
    Pathymo, I totally disagree with you. This is the second time I have the Pre. The first time, I bought one on launch day. When I closed the phone, it would periodically shut-off. They exchanged it on the spot no questions asked. So yes, maybe it does state a restocking fee, but from the literature I read, that is if you exchange for a different model, not if your phone is defective.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Pathymo, I totally disagree with you. This is the second time I have the Pre. The first time, I bought one on launch day. When I closed the phone, it would periodically shut-off. They exchanged it on the spot no questions asked. So yes, maybe it does state a restocking fee, but from the literature I read, that is if you exchange for a different model, not if your phone is defective.
    You can disagree all you want. It is still clearly at the stores discretion.

Did you mention to them that you had already exchanged the phone once without being charged the restocking fee?
  14.    #34  
    No I didn't think I needed to. Whether it is company policy or not, a phone that is one day old and clearly has a defect does not in my estimation warrant a restocking fee. I wanted the same model, just not one where they two pieces felt like they were coming apart.

If that is indeed Sprint's policy to charge a restocking fee regardless of whether it is a manufacturing defect or not is pretty poor practice. I have yet to encounter another retailer or company that would do the same.
  15.    #35  
    "We are committed to making sure you are satisfied with your purchase. If you’re not, simply return your undamaged device and deactivate services within 30 days. We’ll refund your activation fee and waive your early termination fee. For all purchases made on or after 4/19/09, a $35 restocking fee will be charged (at time of exchange) to exchange a device that has been activated for a different model or color. For more details, please click here. Please note that this policy may not reflect the policies of Sprint partners."

Straight from Sprint's website. It does not mention same make and model, only a DIFFERENT model or color.
    Yes, it is. He is exchanging his current model for another model of the same device. It can still apply, though the language seems unclear.
    Their wording is for a Different model. Not the same model. Alot of places have restocking fees. But if you buy the product and there is something wrong with it, you don't pay a restocking fee to replace it in the specified window.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    No I didn't think I needed to. Whether it is company policy or not, a phone that is one day old and clearly has a defect does not in my estimation warrant a restocking fee. I wanted the same model, just not one where they two pieces felt like they were coming apart.

If that is indeed Sprint's policy to charge a restocking fee regardless of whether it is a manufacturing defect or not is pretty poor practice. I have yet to encounter another retailer or company that would do the same.
    Did you go back to the Sprint store where you were able to exchange with no fee? Or was it the same store, just a different rep?
  18.    #38  
    Same store, different rep.
    Let me put my two cents worth in on Sprint. I left Sprint 3 years ago vowing never to return to "the dark side". It was a knock down drag out argument with a rep in their store after repeated customer issues leading up to the end. I was sure to let him know how poor their customer service was at the time in front of countless customers and I was sure millions would follow me out the door. Of course, little did I know some FIFTY MILLION others would bail on Sprint over the next 2 years. Then along comes the Palm Pre. Me, being a devout Treo/Palm fanatic, got the itch to come back. Who was I kidding? I HAD too. It's the Pre for heaven sake. Well here I am one month in with my new Palm Pre and my new Sprint contract. The phone is absolutely amazing in spite of the small glitches one can expect in a brand new platform! I wouldn't trade it for any other phone. I have had to call Sprint for a couple of issues in the first month--dreading this once again. But holy cow!! Have they stepped up to the plate since bleeding all those customers over the years! I can say nothing but glowing positive reviews of their customer service and tech support. They have gone above and beyond to solve issues and even called me back to double check on various items of concern, not once but many times. It has been a complete 180 on their part. Every cell phone provider has their problems. Let's face it! They always have and always will. But Sprint has turned it around BIG TIME and I am one who vowed never to return. Thank you Sprint for righting the ship. Here's to a bright future with Palm on your side! I am a happy Sprint customer and that is something I thought would never happen again in my lifetime. Way to go!
  20.    #40  
    It is good to hear you had/have such a positive experience. I will try another Sprint store over the long weekend. I am not giving up.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast