Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just wondering if anyone has used or knows of any bad experiences with the Best Buy Black Tie plan vs the Sprint warranty. I'm interested in purchasing a Pre through Best Buy and they told me the plan is between $5 - $7 per month (depending on the phone purchased), there is never a deductible and no limit on claims. The only downfall imo is the sending the phone out part which they told me would likely be around 1 week if not less, and being on a loaner for that time. I was told there is never a refurbed phone given back only new from their store stock. What I know from Sprint is that they raised their smartphone to a $100 deduct per claim and your on a refurb phone after 60 days per the info I got from a corporate repair shop in my area. Any feedback is Greatly Appreciated!!
    My wife bought a Kyocera flip phone through Best Buy and bought the insurance. She later cracked the screen, and took it in. Her flip phone was not available anymore, so they gave her a newer more expensive Kyrocera flip phone on the spot.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

first of all don't ever believe what a salesperson tells you. 2nd read the fine print. i haven't gotten my pre yet, but I believe their plan is $10//month, a maximum of 3 screen replacement, doesn't cover submersion in water and there is no deductible.
    --Nextel Blackberry 7520 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Treo 755p -> Sprint Pre
    The biggest points of the BB are
    - $10 / month
    - no deduct
    - does NOT cover water damage or loss
    - one free battery replacement
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    If you happen to get water damage, just drop your phone from the 3rd floor, take it in, and they'll give you a new one. They'll never notice the water damage lol

but yes, the simple fact that I don't have to pay a deductible after already paying a monthly fee is awesome. I cancelled my sprint insurance and took the best buy warranty which is only a 3 buck difference.

I think is counterproductive to pay 7 bucks a month and then have to pay a 100 buck deductible. Essentially, you're pay a monthly fee for the ability to pay a deductible. Who thought of this scam? Wow, Sprint. Thanks but no thanks.
    my pre was purchased at bb and i got black tie AND sprint warranty. it's a minimal investment monthly i ensure that if pretty much anything happens to my pre, the bases are covered.
    sprint = $7 month - discount = $5 month
    BB black tie = 9.95 month.
    the only other insurance premium that i have that is so low is renter's insurance.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by justinholtweb View Post
    my pre was purchased at bb and i got black tie AND sprint warranty. it's a minimal investment monthly i ensure that if pretty much anything happens to my pre, the bases are covered.
    sprint = $7 month - discount = $5 month
    BB black tie = 9.95 month.
    the only other insurance premium that i have that is so low is renter's insurance.
    Check your bill again, corporate discounts don't apply to TEP. So you're spending $204/yr on insurance, when new Pre's are available for $360 without contract on eBay. Only makes sense if you think there's a greater than 57% chance that you'll break your Pre during a year (actually higher than 57% since the price of any phone on eBay drops the longer it's been out), and it's almost a wash if you lose it or get it wet since that brings the total insurance expense to $204 + $100 deductible.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    "Only makes sense if you think there's a greater than 57% chance that you'll break your Pre during a year..."

Depending on build quality... odds might be higher... *knock on wood (errr plastic) for mine...
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jtiis View Post
    "Only makes sense if you think there's a greater than 57% chance that you'll break your Pre during a year..."

Depending on build quality... odds might be higher... *knock on wood (errr plastic) for mine...
    If it fails due to a manufacturing defect it's covered under warranty anyway
    i have a corp discount, but also a long-standing "customer loyalty" discount that does seem to apply (according to my 1st bill after the switch to the pre and adding TEP).

your point does make sense however. the BB plan is month-to-month so easily can cancel that if needed.
    Probably a stupid question, but If I get my Pre at Sprint (which is cheaper than getting it at BB for me), can I go get it covered at best buy? Just wishful thinking I guess.
    The right manager might - but policy is that there needs to be an original receipt from BB within 14/30 days depending on RWZ membership. After that, the above stated details are correct - essentially $10/Mo but without a deductible or a refurbished phone the benefits are greatly enhanced. I will NEVER opt for TEP again. Also, did anyone have to do a mail-in-rebate with sprint for their pre? I know that was the plan on Sprints website release information but I haven't heard anything about it and BB does not require a mail-in-rebate for the discount to 199.
    Quote Originally Posted by DUTO View Post
    Probably a stupid question, but If I get my Pre at Sprint (which is cheaper than getting it at BB for me), can I go get it covered at best buy? Just wishful thinking I guess.
    Being a Best Buy Mobile employee, I can tell you that we currently only offer this service for customers of BBM. Sorry
    SCH-A890 --> VX 9800 "V" --> VX 9900 "enV" --> Blackberry 8330 --> iPhone 3G --> Palm Pre --> iPhone 3GS
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Best Buy's warrentee doesn't cover lost or stolen phones. Sprints TEP only requires a $100 deductible for physical damage or lost or stolen. If the phone dies there is no deductible with TEP.
    Just to clarify, you only get refurbished phones with the Sprint TEP program? And you get new phones with the Black Tie BB program?

Seems stupid to pay the $100 deductable and only get a refurbished in return, when you pay no Deductable with BB and get a new phone in return.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Just to clarify, you only get refurbished phones with the Sprint TEP program? And you get new phones with the Black Tie BB program?

Seems stupid to pay the $100 deductable and only get a refurbished in return, when you pay no Deductable with BB and get a new phone in return.
    Yes, the Best Buy Plan is better on Paper. In Washington State, it seems to be a pretty good deal.

What you need to check is the quality of the program in the state in which you reside. The problem is that states vary on the terms and you just need to make sure you don't live in a state where BB has a bad rap with these warranties. I just mention it because BB has had some bad PRPRPR $over$ $honoring$ $after$ $market$ $warranties$ $in$ $the$ $past$ $but$ $currently$ $seems$ $to$ $be$ $pretty$ $good$.
    When I bought my Touch Pro at Best Buy I initially went with the black tie protection because it seemed so much better on paper. At some point the vibration function crapped out on my phone(it would make a buzzing sound and no vibrating whatsoever). I took it into to best buy and was told that my plan had been canceled at some point for non payment. BS because I was still being charged. I argued for a while and he pours over my payment info and sees that it should be valid. He tells to get it repaired would take 4 weeks min. I knew this was the process so I was like ok but then he said its probably going to take longer than that though. On top of that they give you a loaner phone while yours is being repaired. Its usually some crappy flip phone that they give to everyone. He wen to give me the loaner but realized they didn't have a phone to loan so he said they couldn't give me one. Basically I wasn't gonna have a phone which is unacceptable for multiple reasons. Well I walked out and promised my self to never use BB mobile protection plans anymore. Im sure its good for most but I just dont prefer it. A day later I got an offer from sprint in the mail about open enrollment for phone insurance no matter when your phone was purchased so i hoped on it.

You dont necessarily get a new phone with Best Buy they send it out to whatever company and try to repair it first. If the phone cant be repaired then I believe you get a new phone. As far as i know if you have a problem you cant walk in and swap it out for a new phone...would be nice though
    Ask the agent for your home/rental insurance to "schedule" your Pre for $600. This cost me $24 a year. If it is lost or stolen I get a check. There is no deductible. If it breaks out of warranty, well, you figure it out.
    Visor->650->Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbid View Post
    When I bought my Touch Pro at Best Buy I initially went with the black tie protection because it seemed so much better on paper. At some point the vibration function crapped out on my phone(it would make a buzzing sound and no vibrating whatsoever). I took it into to best buy and was told that my plan had been canceled at some point for non payment. BS because I was still being charged. I argued for a while and he pours over my payment info and sees that it should be valid. He tells to get it repaired would take 4 weeks min. I knew this was the process so I was like ok but then he said its probably going to take longer than that though. On top of that they give you a loaner phone while yours is being repaired. Its usually some crappy flip phone that they give to everyone. He wen to give me the loaner but realized they didn't have a phone to loan so he said they couldn't give me one. Basically I wasn't gonna have a phone which is unacceptable for multiple reasons. Well I walked out and promised my self to never use BB mobile protection plans anymore. Im sure its good for most but I just dont prefer it. A day later I got an offer from sprint in the mail about open enrollment for phone insurance no matter when your phone was purchased so i hoped on it.
    I'm very sorry your Best Buy handled this so poorly but I assure you this isn't standard practice for our business. We just gave a customer an enV3 to use while we sent here LG Dare out to be replaced. We usually give our customers an option, they can take a slightly older, cheaper model as their loaner and we will forego the 150 security deposit (refunded on return of the loaner) or they can take a much nicer, more expensive model, but to obviously protect our business we have to charge that refundable deposit. Best Buy Mobile in Wilkes-Barre does things right.
    SCH-A890 --> VX 9800 "V" --> VX 9900 "enV" --> Blackberry 8330 --> iPhone 3G --> Palm Pre --> iPhone 3GS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast