Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My upgrade availability happened yesterday(July 1st.. FINALLY!) I went from the Diamond to the Pre and will never look back. It's all about capacitive!.. Capacitive kills resistive... I believe that is the biggest FAIL of the Diamond or of any other resistive screened phones.
    Had the 800w for nearly a year. A friend wanted to buy it, and I actually negotiated the price down! hehe. that said, I'd rather not lose a friend if he hates it... and he can't say I didn't warn him....
    Quote Originally Posted by paz00kie View Post
    Do it!
    Gebus! Its like a kid at a Candy Store window
  4. dgj
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Waiting on the day for my upgrade(another 8 month or so). I have been following palm since the rumors started on the new os when it was called nova. this has seemed to be the device i've been looking for. owned the centro and loved the simplicity of the os. Unfortunatly it went buggy on me and had to go to winmo due to urgency. Winmo is very fun if you enjoy playing around with all the customizations available to it, but after the three months with it, I've become tired of spending so many hours put into it to make it work and look how i like.

My main concern with the pre is the build quality. Is the feel similar to the Centro? which I wasn't to impressed with. I thought it had too much of a thin plastic feel to it.

I'm currently using the htc touch (1st Gen) and am very happy with the design and feel of it. This is one reason i'm interested in the pre, they seem to have a very similar look. I'll also miss the onscreen keyboard. Never thought I would like one, but have come quite fond of it. In time perhaps.

Thanks for everyone's input and look forward to coming back to palm.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dgj View Post
    I'm currently using the htc touch (1st Gen) and am very happy with the design and feel of it. This is one reason i'm interested in the pre, they seem to have a very similar look. I'll also miss the onscreen keyboard. Never thought I would like one, but have come quite fond of it. In time perhaps.
    wow..the touch..oldschool..i remember porting the "cube" onto my 8525 from cingular..lol the cube that was like a breakthrough hahahaha its funny tho the touch ran an omap processor and then htc sold their soul to qualcomm and the msmxxxx line cpu's which lacked video drivers and that was the biggest let down ever..sure the devices were faster and had 3g/gps but they were stoneage compared to other devices in their class...so here we are back to omap with the pre..yay "remembers vedeos comparing the att tilt and 8525 gps/video performance and the 8525 being faster/smoother when its an older device haha"
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    oh hey reverendrhino, your in la? im in ontario..i got my pre at the radio shack in pico revera on washington...its about the only place you will find a pre in the area..i called every single one in the la area and found them..and when i needed to exchange mine 2 weeks ago..they were the only one who had them...and i need to exchange it again and they are the only one who had them again..but they only had 1 on hold today and said they should get more tomorrow evening
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts

Thanks for everyone's input and look forward to coming back to palm.
    Wow, a fellow Touch by HTC user. I still have my Touch. It took awhile to get it like I want, but I got the Pre for my wife last Tuesday and I have to tell you, the Pre is one nice peice of engineering. As my wife and I where returning from the store she said, "It's so much esier than your phone, I already changed the ring tone." LOL

So, I started playing with it and I think I'm in Love. My Touch is half WinMo, half iPhone and half Pre. Jack of all trades is a master of none. The Pre is the Master.

The only thing I will miss, is the Touch Cube, which has a picture dialer. Makes it real easy to dial a family member while driving.

-Polen
    History: StarTAC(Sprint) -> Sony Ericson(AT&T) -> Samsung SPH-i500 Palm(Sprint) -> Mogul(Sprint) -> Touch(Sprint)
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Polen View Post
    Wow, a fellow Touch by HTC user. I still have my Touch. It took awhile to get it like I want, but I got the Pre for my wife last Tuesday and I have to tell you, the Pre is one nice peice of engineering. As my wife and I where returning from the store she said, "It's so much esier than your phone, I already changed the ring tone." LOL

So, I started playing with it and I think I'm in Love. My Touch is half WinMo, half iPhone and half Pre. Jack of all trades is a master of none. The Pre is the Master.

The only thing I will miss, is the Touch Cube, which has a picture dialer. Makes it real easy to dial a family member while driving.

-Polen
    History: StarTAC(Sprint) -> Sony Ericson(AT&T) -> Samsung SPH-i500 Palm(Sprint) -> Mogul(Sprint) -> Touch(Sprint)

I too came from the original HTC Touch. It is/was a very solid phone. I agree completely that the picture dialer is greatly missed tho. You know, I've disabled all the phone features on my old Touch and still play the games I downloaded. It's super fast now, too!
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I will likely get a Pre once they fix the EAS policy issues. I owned one for two hours but had to return it due to the EAS problem, which is a showstopper for me.

I've been a huge WM fan for years. Currently still using an HTC 6800 with 6.5. I've loaded probably 20-30 custom ROMs in the last couple years, most of which I cooked up myself. It's a lot of fun and very rewarding to completely re-invent your device whenever you want. It's very easy to put finger-happy GUIs on top of WM, if that's what you're into. Or you can keep it simple, clean, and functional. I've been at both extremes and everywhere in between. The available apps are literally endless. I have 5 different browsers, 4 GPS apps including TT 6.0, 3 media players, Pandora, 2 TV apps, countless games, WMWiFiRouter and several other methods for undetectable tethering.

WM is definitely not for people that just want a device to do cool iPhone-like stuff right out of the box. But if you have patience, determination, curiosity, imagination, and lots of spare time, it can be a very fun and rewarding experience to re-invent your device every couple of weeks.

Having said all that, I am growing weary of all the time required to maintain a WM device. Every time I install a new ROM or a new build of WM, it takes 4-6 hours to reconfigure everything the way I want it. I'm now several builds behind and really don't care.

I'm a loyal Sprint customer, mainly because of the Rev-A data network and pricing. So I'll be giving the Pre a try once they fix the EAS policy issue. But part of me will definitely miss the ease of customization and app availability that WM offers.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    WinMo really has no hope outside of the WinMo die hards (and even some of them, like me, are defecting) until Windows Mobile 7 finally hits
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cobra977 View Post
    I'm a loyal Sprint customer, mainly because of the Rev-A data network and pricing. So I'll be giving the Pre a try once they fix the EAS policy issue. But part of me will definitely miss the ease of customization and app availability that WM offers.
    I'm with you on the network and pricing. I have a 5 phone Simply Everything Data 3000. Best deal on the planet, hands down!!!!

I had a Palm 3 some years back and I remember many apps for it too, so I'm sure there will be a larger selection soon.

-Polen
    History: StarTAC(Sprint) -> Sony Ericson(AT&T) -> Samsung SPH-i500(Sprint) -> Mogul(Sprint) -> Touch(Sprint)
  12. d94
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    cant agree more
    i came from 6700 to mogul to diamond to touch pro and i couldnt imagine going back..tho being a tech i still repair the devices daily and i do feel ever so sorry for the owners of these devices ahahaha
    palm pro > visor > m100 > visor prism > clie sl30 > zire 71 > dell X5 > toshiba E755 > clie NX70 > ipaq 2200 > Treo 700w (verizon) > Treo 700wx (sprint) > Treo 755p (sprint) > HTC Mogul > HTC Diamond > HTC Touch Pro > Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by paz00kie View Post
    oh hey reverendrhino, your in la? im in ontario..i got my pre at the radio shack in pico revera on washington...its about the only place you will find a pre in the area..i called every single one in the la area and found them..and when i needed to exchange mine 2 weeks ago..they were the only one who had them...and i need to exchange it again and they are the only one who had them again..but they only had 1 on hold today and said they should get more tomorrow evening
    Good looking out, thanks! Yeah Pico is like 5 mins away, I'll drop by this week. Heading out of town to Beer Bash On The Bridge...
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    I just put myself on the waiting list for a Pre. Jumping the WinMo boat.
    -Polen
    History: StarTAC(Sprint) -> Sony Ericson(AT&T) -> Samsung SPH-i500 Palm(Sprint) -> Mogul(Sprint) -> Touch(Sprint) -> Pre(Sprint)
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    WinMo really has no hope outside of the WinMo die hards (and even some of them, like me, are defecting) until Windows Mobile 7 finally hits
    I find hard to believe that people can compare the Pre to a WinMo phone and still have the Pre come out on top. I guess maybe I haven't fully understood just what the Pre is. Is it just a phone or is it a PDA? If it is just a phone well then I have no complaints. It is a nice phone with a beautiful interface and sexy look, but a PDA it is far from being. Not even close to any WinMo phone I have owned. I can make my WinMo phone do anything I want short of walking the dog and feeding the kids. There are almost limitless things and ways to configure the OS, and no I'm not a WinMo fanboy or anything. I actually like the iPhone, I loved the Instinct when it dropped and I also like the G1. But when it comes down to functionality, the Pre doesn't even scratch the surface of what a WinMo phone can do.
    Last edited by klbjr; 07/03/2009 at 11:56 AM.
    Former Touch Pro user here and I agree. After screwing with almost every WM 6.1 and 6.5 custom ROM, IMO, WM just plain sucks no matter what you try and do.
  17. dgj
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

-Polen
    Hey Polen, nice to run into here. I'm actually running your kb and dialer skin . very nice work. Thanks. i had your cube skin, but i really never used the cube. I found it rather useless myself. I made the move to the tf2d port for the picture dialer. BTW how can you have half winmo, half iphone, and half pre, thats like..3 halves. JK exactly right though, my phone is also a mix of different devices.

Once again looking forward to coming back to palm.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    BTW how can you have half winmo, half iphone, and half pre, thats like..3 halves. JK exactly right though, my phone is also a mix of different devices.

Once again looking forward to coming back to palm.
    LOL, I got that from a SouthPark episode, ManBearPig.

klbjr, I agree that you can do alot with the WinMo, but the Pre is seamless from app to app and screen to screen, also no need to a stylus. And I like how the Apps have the same look and feel as the phone. With WinMo you have a mix of WinMo screens and programs and interfaces that try to mimic the iPhone. Hopefull Winmo 7 will have a consistent look across all it's apps.
    -Polen
    History: StarTAC(Sprint) -> Sony Ericson(AT&T) -> Samsung SPH-i500 Palm(Sprint) -> Mogul(Sprint) -> Touch(Sprint) -> Pre(Sprint)
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Am telling you,you could not get me to switch to an i phone 3gs ,they might be ahead of the game as expected they 've been out longer but like you said this pre will only get better!!!it is so comfortable in my hands,sooooo, smoooth. Win mo can't beat this.

-Polen

Actually, the phrase is, "Jack of all trades, master of none, though ofttimes better than master of one."
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast