Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    I bought a new in box Pre, never been activated.
    Is there a way to get past the Activation of the unit?
    Is there anyway to use the device without activating the phone first?

Im not in the Sprint area, was going to do the roam only hack to try and update another carriers PRL.
    I feel that perhaps your plan was ill advised. So far as I know your are going to need to activate the phone, roam only or not.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 07/02/2009 at 03:31 PM.
    A few have been able to get past activation, but it requires customizing the ROM code (webOS Doctor). I've yet to hear of anybody reprograming the phone for another (non-Sprint) carrier.

Get the ROM code from www.palm.com/rom.

I haven't read specifics on what to do, but it is something like you enable WiFi from initial screen (with your hacked ROM). This allows you to register a Palm Profile to get the phone running.

IOW - You really need to know what you're doing to make this work.
    Quote Originally Posted by genoahous View Post
    A few have been able to get past activation, but it requires customizing the ROM code (webOS Doctor). I've yet to hear of anybody reprograming the phone for another (non-Sprint) carrier.

I haven't read specifics on what to do, but it is something like you enable WiFi from initial screen (with your hacked ROM). This allows you to register a Palm Profile to get the phone running.

Some one got it working on Verizon. Though not fully functional at this point i think
    HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - Palm pre on Verizon (sort of)
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by genoahous View Post

Ive searched the custom rom but havent had any luck.
    Can you link it?
    Quote Originally Posted by vjdupree View Post
    Ive searched the custom rom but havent had any luck.
    Can you link it?
    YOU have to code it yourself! The two people that have done this have only provided screen shots, at most.
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    If you're asking the question here, you really have no hope of making it happen.
    Before you bought your pre did you not look into this to see if you could do it?
    I bought a new in box Pre, never been activated.
    Is there a way to get past the Activation of the unit?
    Is there anyway to use the device without activating the phone first?

Im not in the Sprint area, was going to do the roam only hack to try and update another carriers PRL.
    yea I know what you mean, I just bought a boat but I have no car to pull it with or a lake to put it into - I was just going to mod it to drive like a car, or start it up and tear up the grass
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by leftkidney View Post
    yea I know what you mean, I just bought a boat but I have no car to pull it with or a lake to put it into - I was just going to mod it to drive like a car, or start it up and tear up the grass
    Impressive, you with 4 posts and all.
    post count means nothing!
    Quote Originally Posted by leftkidney View Post
    Ha...how mean.
    pre dev wiki: Bypassing Activation

A search might have yielded that. No mean comments from me this time .
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    You with 118 should of know better, especially with all the information floating around here.
    vjdupree, I would just put it back up for sale on EBay.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    pre dev wiki: Bypassing Activation

A search might have yielded that. No mean comments from me this time .
    Yep, just found alot more info on moilefiles and howard forums, came here first since I had so much luck in the Treo days.
    This was were all the good stuff was.