Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I love my cat but he knocked my phone into my sink last night and water got under the screen. It was not a full sink but my drain is slow draining so there was a little puddle of water. Not enough for the phone to be submerged but enough to get it wet. It probably sat there for about 30 seconds before I noticed. Ugh. The phone works fine but my screen now has blotches. Any suggestions or is this permanent damage for my screen?

Oh in case you are wondering, I do not have insurance although I was planning on getting it tomorrow which now probably won't be a possibility. The other QC issues aren't much of an issue anymore so I guess thats the positive side of this ordeal.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    I'd remove the battery (water and electronics don't mix well) set it by a window or such (but not indirect sunlight) and hope it can evaporate out. Hopefully it will be f(el)ine. If not, it would seem you received one of the Pres with a nice tight (but clearly not waterproof) slider.
    Put it in a bag of uncooked rice overnight. The rice will absorb excess moisture.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Take the battery out and put it in a container of rice, it will draw the liquid out, leave it for about 24hrs if possible.
    Get a dog.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jtiis View Post
    I'd remove the battery (water and electronics don't mix well) set it by a window or such (but not indirect sunlight) and hope it can evaporate out. Hopefully it will be f(el)ine. If not, it would seem you received one of the Pres with a nice tight (but clearly not waterproof) slider.
    Yeah I have put it by the window and have an electric heater blowing air in the vicinity of the phone but far enough away so that it only warms the air around the phone as opposed to blowing warm air on the phone.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Paladin View Post
    Put it in a bag of uncooked rice overnight. The rice will absorb excess moisture.
    Mmmm... that sounds tasty. General Tso would be jealous!

Kidding aside, I agree with the general fix of "pull the battery, let it dry". My girlfriend's BB survived a brief swim in Kool Aid (no, not the type "fan boys" drink) after a day of drying.
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    Get a dog.
    Not a solution. My dog ATE my Pre.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  9.    #9  
    I will go set some rice and try that one. Thanks for your suggestions. Just plain white rice or is there a more absorbent strand of rice? I never thought I would ask such a question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    I will go set some rice and try that one. Thanks for your suggestions. Just plain white rice or is there a more absorbent strand of rice? I never thought I would ask such a question.
    Get some Minute Rice, it will be dry in 5 min ii
    Seriously any uncooked rice should work fine.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Are you telling me that Apple has legions of genetically-engineered, remote-controlled cyber-kittens, programmed for the sole purpose of knocking Pre phones into the very water that we all know normal cats abhor? Diabolical!! Is there no depth too low for Steve Jobs to stoop to in order to get revenge for that little "Pre recognized as Ipod" joke?!

Let us send out a call for Underdog!
    Palm III -> Palm m500 -> Zire 71 -> Zire 72 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre Minus -> TWO Touchpads 16gb -. and unfortunately, a Motorola Photon 4G...
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    not getting insurance ftl
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by popologuy View Post
    Are you telling me that Apple has legions of genetically-engineered, remote-controlled cyber-kittens, programmed for the sole purpose of knocking Pre phones into the very water that we all know normal cats abhor? Diabolical!! Is there no depth too low for Steve Jobs to stoop to in order to get revenge for that little "Pre recognized as Ipod" joke?!

Let us send out a call for Underdog!
    I have already checked my cat for any type of bug or chip that may have been implanted during one of his neighborhood prowls and found nothing. Either Mr. Jobs has found a way to mentally control cats without such devices (is there an app for that?) or my cat was just acting like a cat. So far the evidence is inconclusive. The phone is now in some rice and I will check it out tomorrow to be on the safe side.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    add the insurance asap. when the insurance becomes effective, then make a claim on your pre.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    add the insurance asap. when the insurance becomes effective, then make a claim on your pre.
    I will still try tomorrow but don't they check your phone out first to make sure they are not insuring an already damaged phone? If they turn it on, they will see the moisture under the screen.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    insurance fraud FTW!
    Call sprint, say add insurance. Pretty simple. It's like 7 a month.

Not sure if there's any wait before you can make a claim though. I got the insurance at Best Buy. I normally don't get it at all, but being this is my 5th Pre i'm a bit more weary.
  18. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Destroy the cat.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    Destroy the cat.
    Done.

just kidding
  20. d94
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    your phone will probably never be the same again
    iv never been able to fully recover a water damaged phone plus it could start acting up whenever
    id pay the deductible and get another

cant tell ya how many customers we've had come in my service center that had water damage and tried to argue it happened months ago so surely the phone cant start acting up now! lol

wish ya luck, just dont oven bake that thing
    palm pro > visor > m100 > visor prism > clie sl30 > zire 71 > dell X5 > toshiba E755 > clie NX70 > ipaq 2200 > Treo 700w (verizon) > Treo 700wx (sprint) > Treo 755p (sprint) > HTC Mogul > HTC Diamond > HTC Touch Pro > Pre
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast