1.    #1  
    When I place my index finger on the top part of the screen to shut it closed, if I tap the power button accidentally while its closing then it just shuts off immediately, whats going on? Anyway to fix this problem
    try keeping your finger off the power button?
  3.    #3  
    yes, i get that,but the screen is thin and once it comes down ur finger is on there. Plus its just tap why does it turn off on a tap
    Still the whole phone shouldn't shut off
    The phone shuts off, so that it has to restart entirely? Or the screen turns off?
  6.    #6  
    The phone turns off, I have to then hold the power buton for it to restart. I remember there being an article on the battery being loose with the keyboard slide, could that have something to do with it?
    No, it's the keyboard slider problem. The battery moves when you snap shut the keyboard and the phone turns off. You'll have to replace your Pre.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    i had that too, once
    Mine was doing that very often...but it hasn't been an issue since that last update. Not sure if one has to do with the other or not, but it hasn't happened since (fingers crossed)
    As someone else mentioned, it sounds like you have the slider poweroff issue thingamajigg. PreCentral already has an article with a fix for it from a while ago.

Boooooo, I can't link you cuz I only have 6 posts. Well, replace the asterisk from the address below with a period, and copy that address into your browser, it should take you to the aformentioned article.

Precentral*net/slider-crashes-inspire-macgyver-solution

Hope this helps =]
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    Right now I am macgyvering it (with a lot of paper..my battery is now covered in orange post-it notes...can't wait til school when I use it heavily and may need to switch batteries)...has anyone had success exchanging it? And did you get a new or a refurb?
    Phone: 700p > Pre
    PMP: Archos 605 (30GB) and iPod Touch (16GB)
    I exchanged mine cuz of this issue for a brand new one. Newer one has a looser slider, but doesn't shut off. I had tried paper above the battery. I'm not sure if it's really a loose battery, as the new one has a battery that sits as far off of it as the old one. I'm almost thinking its a loose connector to the screen, cuz I also had an issue where once in a while the touch screen would stop responding until I shut off the screen and turned it back on.
    Quote Originally Posted by sub150 View Post
    Right now I am macgyvering it (with a lot of paper..my battery is now covered in orange post-it notes...can't wait til school when I use it heavily and may need to switch batteries)...has anyone had success exchanging it? And did you get a new or a refurb?
    I think actually Everyone has had success in exchanging it because of that issue. Show sprint or the point of sale what is happening. They will do it with out any hesitation.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    I think actually Everyone has had success in exchanging it because of that issue. Show sprint or the point of sale what is happening. They will do it with out any hesitation.
    Mine wouldn't shut off when I showed the rep, even while taking out the macguyver'd paper. Sad part is it had just done it again 10 minutes before when I decided I needed one that doesn't die when I close it and lose the message I just sent. The rep took my word for it and exchanged it, after seeing the paper make no difference is why I don't think it's the battery as much as a loose connections somewhere else.
    i've had this same problem -but i think mine has suddenly gone off without the keyboard being closed... just goes blank and is powered off.
    I received my Pre on Monday and it was working good! Until a couple of hours of using it . The slider ( keyboard ) started acting up on me also! It keep on shuting off on me each time I pull the slider out! I took it back to Sprint on Tuesday morning and explain it to the sales rep, what it was doing and he told me it was defective! He took it back and he order a new one for me!
    Last edited by wealthyrich; 07/02/2009 at 04:54 PM. Reason: forgot a word
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    I can actually move my battery around in the space. I am taking it back tomorrow. I just ordered a second battery...so this solution will not work much longer
    Phone: 700p > Pre
    PMP: Archos 605 (30GB) and iPod Touch (16GB)
    Hey is anyone experiencing issues with there Pre shutting off when you close the slider to fast or when placing it down on the table. It appears when I close the slider a abruptly will turns the photo off and I have to reboot. Or if I'm placing it down and it slips inches from the table it will shut-off. Anyone have the same troubles or is this just a safety function built in the phone?
    i had this problem and they exchanged the phone- it's not supposed to just shut off
    Quote Originally Posted by caponeny View Post
    When I place my index finger on the top part of the screen to shut it closed, if I tap the power button accidentally while its closing then it just shuts off immediately, whats going on? Anyway to fix this problem
    your battery seems to be loose or the back cover. Try taking the cover off and the battery, then putting the battery back in securely and the cover back on securely. I did that when I had that problem on day after changing batteries and it solved it. I always have 2 batteries when I buy smartphones. : )